2,916 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country:
Timeline
6 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

It’s long right now. About 5-6 months at VSC. I filed mid June and have not heard yet other than my notice which I got in July. 

Thanks. But what does the process entail after filing and receiving the receipt?

Filed: Other Country:
Timeline
1 minute ago, iwillsurvive said:

It’s just like the EAD. They just approve it since you have a pending AOS. It just takes so long at VSC currently because they have so many to work through. 

Makes sense. So they wouldn’t be asking for no RFE once they’ve accepted it and sent u receipt?

2 minutes ago, bold said:

Makes sense. So they wouldn’t be asking for no RFE once they’ve accepted it and sent u receipt?

They could ask you if you forgot to submit something, such as photos or filled in the form incorrectly. But you don’t need to explain why you need AP or anything like that. It’s only formalities. 

5 hours ago, JaneHowe30 said:

Siting in the interview waiting room for my VAWA i485 interview. Newark NJ

I pray that all of you reach this final stage soon. 

Will let let you know how it goes.

Thank You Everyone for your kind words and encouragement over the past 18months.

And a special THANK YOU to SANDRA!!

How did it go? All the best! 

Need some advice on this.

I filed for VAWA few months ago. Received the prima facie determination as well as the work permit. I heard that with prima facie, one will be able to benefit from FAFSA (federal student loan). My f1 status expired in 2016. Am I eligible to enroll in school here and benefit from the school loan?

Do you know the website or link where I can go and apply for that? When I apply for school, do I apply as an international student or? I am a little bit confused on this, I applied to one of the community colleges and they ask me for the copy of the GC to proceed with my application. Please advise

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, GWMAW said:

Need some advice on this.

I filed for VAWA few months ago. Received the prima facie determination as well as the work permit. I heard that with prima facie, one will be able to benefit from FAFSA (federal student loan). My f1 status expired in 2016. Am I eligible to enroll in school here and benefit from the school loan?

Do you know the website or link where I can go and apply for that? When I apply for school, do I apply as an international student or? I am a little bit confused on this, I applied to one of the community colleges and they ask me for the copy of the GC to proceed with my application. Please advise

Please read the official FAFSA site for more information.  The following page clearly says that:

4. You are a “battered immigrant-qualified alien” who is a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).*

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility/non-us-citizens

So, your prima facie should be accepted by FAFSA for financial aid purpose. Your EAD + SSN may be accepted by the college to register as a full-time student.

Edited by miloy001

19 minutes ago, miloy001 said:

Please read the official FAFSA site for more information.  The following page clearly says that:

4. You are a “battered immigrant-qualified alien” who is a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).*

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility/non-us-citizens

So, your prima facie should be accepted by FAFSA for financial aid purpose. Your EAD + SSN may be accepted by the college to register as a full-time student.

Thank you for your response.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, iwillsurvive said:

Do I need to submit another set of passport style pictures when I file to renew my EAD?

Yes to avoid RFE and delay, although VSC may not use your photos submitted with EAD renewal. If you have biometrics on file, they will use your digital photo taken at the biometrics appointment.

Be sure to enclose the  bar code page that your current EAD card was attached.

Edited by miloy001

I'm looking my case status online and I'm not sure if I am doing it right.

Until now I have 2 receipts numbers, and it's saying "fees were waived" in both of them. My question is: This receipt number is only to say that my fees were waived or is this number that I have to check later for updates? I will paste what is saying so you guys can understand better. Thank you so  much.

Fees Were Waived

On October 23, 2017, we received your case and waived the filing fee for your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization , Receipt Number EAC***********. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your receipt notice by November 22, 2017, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Fees Were Waived

On October 23, 2017, we received your case and waived the filing fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number EAC*************. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your receipt notice by November 22, 2017, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

25 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

@Poupis There is only one receipt number attached to each form you submit. Those numbers will be the only ones you need to check. It will say “fees were waived” for a looong time until they make a decision. I have been staring at the same screen for almost a year now for my I-360 and I-485. 

Thank you!

Even if I filled for EAD along with my case under category c9? The i-765 status will not change soon (since they are used to take 90 days to send the EAD)?

Edited by Poupis

5 minutes ago, Poupis said:

Thank you!

Even if I filled for EAD along with my case under category c9? The i-765 status will not change soon (since they are used to take 90 days to send the EAD)?

For I-765 you get one case number, for I-360 you get one, one for I-485 and one for I-131, so you can track the status of the particular application. If you previously filed for I-765 under a different category, I.e. c31, you will get a new case number when you refile under c9 as it is a new application with a different processing time. 

EAD can take up to 120 but average is 90 days. So wait about 3 months and the status should change to “I-765 approved” and/or “new card in production”.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.