Tee and Megan

I-20 Expiring, but F-1 still valid? need to renew?

4 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm asking a question for a good friend who is currently on an F-1 visa with her dependent/minor son. She is studying for her MDiv and will finish in May in 2018. She wishes to apply for OPT for the following year. 

Is it necessary for her to go back to India to renew her I-20? Her I-20 expires in May of 2018.  Her F-1 Visa is still valid until August 2019.  Thank you all for the help! 

Megan

Edited by Tee and Megan

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

What matters is the i-20, not the F1 stamp.

The i-20 is not renewed at the embassy. The i-20 is extended by the university. She has to go to the office of international students and get an appointment with her advisor. They take care of all that.

The reason why it expires May 2018 is because that your friend graduates May 2018. Then, they do the OPT paperwork and she gets a new i-20 changes once she graduates. But it is perfect that the F-1 does not expire until August 2019 because it means she can have OPT and leave/get back to the US with the F-1 stamp.

Basically, she does not have to go back to her country. Everything will be done in the U.S.

Hope that makes sense.

13 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

What matters is the i-20, not the F1 stamp.

The i-20 is not renewed at the embassy. The i-20 is extended by the university. She has to go to the office of international students and get an appointment with her advisor. They take care of all that.

The reason why it expires May 2018 is because that your friend graduates May 2018. Then, they do the OPT paperwork and she gets a new i-20 changes once she graduates. But it is perfect that the F-1 does not expire until August 2019 because it means she can have OPT and leave/get back to the US with the F-1 stamp.

Basically, she does not have to go back to her country. Everything will be done in the U.S.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Coco8!!

One more question for you?

With her student visa expiring in May 2018 when she graduates, when she gets the new I-20, will she need to go back to India to get a new student visa? 

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

16 minutes ago, Tee and Megan said:

Thanks Coco8!!

One more question for you?

With her student visa expiring in May 2018 when she graduates, when she gets the new I-20, will she need to go back to India to get a new student visa? 

No, the i-20 is all the same. The issue is that the "updated" i-20 will reflect she graduated while the current i-20 says she is a student. 

She won't have to go back to India for a new F-1 because it is all the same i-20 in the sense that it is the same SEVIS number/ academic program.

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.