strider4

Any experience of F-1/J-1 with re-entry on AP recently?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I was curious to know if any F-1/J-1 student with a pending I-485 recently entered the US using your advance parole document/card. Could you please share your experience? Also, if you're enrolled, your nonimmigrant status changes to that of pending PR; how much time did you have left in your F-1/J-1 at the time you decided to use your AP or EAD if working on campus?

For those of you who are no longer enrolled in a university but have been through the process of adjusting from F-1/J-1 and travelled on AP in the past two years, would you recommend it? is it worth losing student status and simply assume PR-pending status with your university?

Thanks in advance!:)

Edited by strider4

Dec 2020 filers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krjUsYJAXqbDIuNL0y9UY2uOcBt5dr1Ji1jdbO63Dj0/edit?usp=sharing

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

Filed application online: 12/01/2020

Concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485)

Priority date: April 03, 2017 

NOAs received: April 17, 2017 (dated: April 12)

Biometrics apt: May 05, 2017 (notice received: April 21)

EAD card being produced (online status change): June 29, 2017

NOA2 (approval notice) received for EAD/AP: July 03, 2017

EAD card mailed to me (online status change): July 05, 2017

EAD/AP combo card in hand: July 08, 2017

Online case update - Interview is scheduled: Jan 26, 2018

Interview and online status update ('Card being produced') : Feb 27, 2018

Eligibility to file N-400: 11/30/2020

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

You need to contact your university and let them know, and ask for advice.

If you go out with F1 you need to have your i-20 signed. But if you use AP you would be coming in as AOS. You cannot come in as 2 different status. You have to choose one.

Yep I have discussed it at length with the school and my lawyer. They delete the SEVIS record once one enters on an AP, which is important to prevent one's AOS from being considered abandoned i.e. the back-up nonimmigrant status is no longer there to fall back on if the AOS interview has a negative outcome. The school lets such students continue studying as well as work on campus with an EAD, until they get a decision on the AOS.

I was hoping to hear about first-hand experience of people re-entering on AP, how long does secondary inspection takes, whether the trip was due to an emergency or not and finally, how did their AOS interview go. :)

Dec 2020 filers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krjUsYJAXqbDIuNL0y9UY2uOcBt5dr1Ji1jdbO63Dj0/edit?usp=sharing

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

Filed application online: 12/01/2020

Concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485)

Priority date: April 03, 2017 

NOAs received: April 17, 2017 (dated: April 12)

Biometrics apt: May 05, 2017 (notice received: April 21)

EAD card being produced (online status change): June 29, 2017

NOA2 (approval notice) received for EAD/AP: July 03, 2017

EAD card mailed to me (online status change): July 05, 2017

EAD/AP combo card in hand: July 08, 2017

Online case update - Interview is scheduled: Jan 26, 2018

Interview and online status update ('Card being produced') : Feb 27, 2018

Eligibility to file N-400: 11/30/2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.