Form I-130 Questions

3 posts in this topic

VJ Community,

I'm preparing to submit IR-1 packets for my wife and stepson. However, I need help completing Form I-130. I apologize if any of the following questions have been answered already. I don’t have much time to read through past posts. Thanks for your help.

Page 2 — Question 12
“Provide your physical addresses for the last five years.”

My wife and I had a joint lease for an apartment in her home country which lasted 1 year. During that time, I physically lived with her there for 3 months. However, I also continued to have a physical address in the United States. The apartment we had in my wife’s home country will be listed on Page 8, Question 59 as the last address at which we physically lived together. Should I also list that apartment here?

Page 5 — Question 10
“Has anyone else ever filed a petition for the beneficiary?”

Many years ago, my wife’s grandparents filed a petition to bring her parents to the United States. My wife is included as one of her parents’ children. The case is still ongoing. Should I answer “Yes”?

Page 5 — Question 12
“Provide the address in the United States where the beneficiary intends to live…”

I’m going to move to a new location within the same city before my wife and children arrive. As a result, I don’t know exactly where we’re going to live yet. Should I answer “Undetermined”?

Page 6 — Question 25
“Provide information about the beneficiary’s spouse and children.”

Should I actually list myself?

Page 7 — Question 48
“Travel Document Number”

I already entered my wife’s Passport Number for Question 47. Should I also enter her Passport Number for Question 48, or should I leave it blank?

Page 8 — Question 59
“If filing for your spouse, provide the last address at which you physically lived together.”

As mentioned earlier, our apartment lease lasted for 1 year. We physically lived together for 3 months. Should the “Date From” and “Date To" be listed as the 3 month period that we physically lived there together, or should it be listed as the 1 year period of our lease?

Page 8 — Question 61
“The beneficiary is in the United States…”

The beneficiary isn’t in the United States. Should I leave it blank, or should I type “N/A”?

Page 8 — Question 62
“The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the United States, but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad…”

I don’t understand this question. How should I answer it?

Page 8 — Question 6
“If you are also submitting separate petitions for other relatives, provide the names of and your relationship to each relative.”

I’m going to submit a separate petition for my stepson. Should I list him here? When I submit a separate Form I-130 for my stepson’s IR-1 packet, should I list my wife for this question?

Pages 10—11

I didn’t use an interpreter, and I’m the preparer of the petition. Should I leave these pages blank, or should I enter “N/A” in each field?

Edited by 808

Additional Questions:

Page 3 — Question 38
“Have you obtained a Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship?”

Since I’m a US citizen, should I select “No”, or should I not answer that question either way?

Page 6 — Question 33

Should I list my wife’s son who I’m filing a separate I-130 for? Should I list our daughter who I’m not petitioning since she already has US citizenship through me?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, 808 said:

VJ Community,

I'm preparing to submit IR-1 packets for my wife and stepson. However, I need help completing Form I-130. I apologize if any of the following questions have been answered already. I don’t have much time to read through past posts. Thanks for your help.

Page 2 — Question 12
“Provide your physical addresses for the last five years.”

My wife and I had a joint lease for an apartment in her home country which lasted 1 year. During that time, I physically lived with her there for 3 months. However, I also continued to have a physical address in the United States. The apartment we had in my wife’s home country will be listed on Page 8, Question 59 as the last address at which we physically lived together. Should I also list that apartment here?

Of course

Page 5 — Question 10
“Has anyone else ever filed a petition for the beneficiary?”

Many years ago, my wife’s grandparents filed a petition to bring her parents to the United States. My wife is included as one of her parents’ children. The case is still ongoing. Should I answer “Yes”?

Of course

Page 5 — Question 12
“Provide the address in the United States where the beneficiary intends to live…”

I’m going to move to a new location within the same city before my wife and children arrive. As a result, I don’t know exactly where we’re going to live yet. Should I answer “Undetermined”?

To be determined is fine.

Page 6 — Question 25

Should I actually list myself?

Of course

Page 7 — Question 48
“Travel Document Number”

I already entered my wife’s Passport Number for Question 47. Should I also enter her Passport Number for Question 48, or should I leave it blank?

She has a passport, not some other travel document.

Page 8 — Question 59
“If filing for your spouse, provide the last address at which you physically lived together.”

As mentioned earlier, our apartment lease lasted for 1 year. We physically lived together for 3 months. Should the “Date From” and “Date To" be listed as the 3 month period that we physically lived there together, or should it be listed as the 1 year period of our lease?

Of course

Page 8 — Question 61
“The beneficiary is in the United States…”

The beneficiary isn’t in the United States. Should I leave it blank, or should I type “N/A”?

Answer NO

Page 8 — Question 62
“The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the United States, but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad…”

I don’t understand this question. How should I answer it?

Type the City and Country of the Embassy or Consulate where she will have her interview

Page 8 — Question 6
“If you are also submitting separate petitions for other relatives, provide the names of and your relationship to each relative.”

I’m going to submit a separate petition for my stepson. Should I list him here? When I submit a separate Form I-130 for my stepson’s IR-1 packet, should I list my wife for this question?

Of course

Pages 10—11

I didn’t use an interpreter, and I’m the preparer of the petition. Should I leave these pages blank, or should I enter “N/A” in each field?

Leave them blank.

59 minutes ago, 808 said:

Additional Questions:

Page 3 — Question 38
“Have you obtained a Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship?”

Since I’m a US citizen, should I select “No”, or should I not answer that question either way?

Answer NO

Page 6 — Question 33

Should I list my wife’s son who I’m filing a separate I-130 for? Should I list our daughter who I’m not petitioning since she already has US citizenship through me?

Of course

It will be critical to your ultimate success, for you to carefully study the I-130 (and all other forms) instructions, then read the questions carefully, interpret them literally and answer accurately.  I've inserted my answers in your quoted text.  Each of the answers I gave you, are in the form instructions you haven't read yet, but even without reading those instructions the answers would have been pretty obvious by simply reading carefully, interpreting literally and answering accurately.  :-)

Apply the same principles to the required I-130a from your wife.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.