vegasbound

Withdrawing Malaysia EPF account under the Leaving Country rule

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good day!

As the title suggests, I was wondering if there are any Malaysians here who have experience withdrawing/closing the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) account in Malaysia due to obtaining US citizenship. 

Particularly would like to know about the process and how long it takes for the money to be transferred into the bank account. 

Planning to do it later this year when I go back for a visit but unsure how much time I need to get everything done.

Really appreciate it if anyone willing to share their experience. TIA.

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

No experience but you can refer to this page http://www.kwsp.gov.my/portal/en/web/kwsp/member/leaving-country-withdrawal.

The required documents checklist is here http://www.kwsp.gov.my/portal/documents/10180/153718/SSDPMBBP_LeavingCtr_V02207_2V_13032017.pdf.

You can get paid in MYR into a Malaysian bank account or foreign currency via a foreign bank draft. 

I believe the application is immediate, which doesn't require back and forth trips to EPF office. However, it will take them some time before finally giving you the money. Hopefully someone would come forward with their experience :) 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Btw, you can mail in your application!! I guess you can even do it while in the US if you have already been naturalized :dance:

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

I called EPF. They said 21 days to get the money in the account or have a foreign bank draft sent to the account holder. All the best and congratulations in advance on your naturalization!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you! @KULtoATL I was just naturalized and it was an amazing feeling knowing that my immigration journey has finally concluded! 

By the way, does the 21 days refer to the mail in application from the US? I already have the trip planned anyway so hoping for a speedier process if done in Malaysia.

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

I cannot wait till my immigration journey is over :D 21 days to get your money, doesn't matter if you mail in or go in person. Even if you submit in person, you'd still need to wait up to 21 days for the cash to be available to you.

Btw, have you renounced your Malaysian citizenship or will you be doing that in DC or when you're back in MY?

• 11 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.