TwoInLove

When can my fiance Drive a car after entering the US?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is pretty important for me to know!

March 15, 2007 - I-129F Sent

March 20, 2007 - NOA1 Received

March 23, 2007 - Touched, April 4, 2007 - Touched , April 5, 2007 - Touched

April 18, 2007 - RFE Email received (waiting for snailmail to see what it is they need)

April 23, 2007 - Received RFE in the mail, mailed out RFE to USCIS using express mail, will get there tomorrow (come on NOA2!)

April 25, 2007 - USCIS Received my RFE info and case has resumed processing

April 26, 2007 - Touched, April 27, 2007 - Touched, April 28, 2007 - TOUCHED AGAIN!

May 10, 2007 - NOA2 Email notification (It took 56 days)

May 16, 2007 - Received NOA2 Notice in snail mail

May 18, 2007 - Received Letter from NVC that they are sending our packet to Juarez Consulate this week

May 26, 2007 - Received Fiance Packet!!!!!!

June 5, 2007 - Medical

June 6, 2007 - Interview at Juarez - Visa Denied (Fiance admitted to smoking marijuana cigarette 6 months before the interview, labeled a 'DRUG ADDICT")

November 18, 2009: I sent an inquiry thru the Juarez website asking about our upcoming end to our ban, what to do etc.

December 14, 2009 - Received a reply from the consulate saying that they will forward a request to the immigration department to request a new appt

December 16, 2009 - Received an email from the consulate saying they are ready for my fiance to come for an open appt anytime

February 2, 2010 - Medical - Trip back to Psych far away in dirty office

February 3, 2010 - Pick up Medical Results

February 4, 2010 - Interview, given form 221(g) "Admin Review" and to come back in 6 months for another medical examination. #######.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You need to check out the website in your state - the DMV or whatever it is called for you. There should be information about foreign drivers. Most can drive for a limited period of time (tourists and what not) but there could be different rules in your state, ant there could be a time limit.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You need to check out the website in your state - the DMV or whatever it is called for you. There should be information about foreign drivers. Most can drive for a limited period of time (tourists and what not) but there could be different rules in your state, ant there could be a time limit.

Like they said above, most foreigners can drive for a limited period of time all over the US with their home country license. For example, with my US license I can drive almost anywhere in the world while I am on a tourist visa....and the US is mostly the same. You do need to check your DMV in your state because they may have certain rules about it. I looked at the GA one yesterday and couldn't find anywhere about HOW he actually gets a GA license though! Like if he just automatically gets one (highly unlikely!) or if he has to take the test like a 16 year old or what! It had information about people from out of state getting one, but not from out of country. I plan on posting in the Australia regional section (since he's Australian) and I'm sure I can find my answer there!

Maybe try posting in the Mexico area or just simply looking up your states DMV website to find out.

Good Luck

Filed: Timeline

Do what the others have said...go to your state's DMV/DPS/whatever website and look it up, or pick up the phone and call them. The laws vary from state to state. Some states give you 30 days, some give you a year. In some states it also matters what country her license is from.

In Texas:

How long can I drive with an out-of-country driver license?

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S. In order to check for reciprocity agreement status, click on Reciprocity In Driver Licensing or you may contact License Issuance at (512) 424-5089 or by e-mail at license.issuance@txdps.state.tx.us. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.91.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...s_dl_id.htm#q51

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Like they said above, most foreigners can drive for a limited period of time all over the US with their home country license. For example, with my US license I can drive almost anywhere in the world while I am on a tourist visa....and the US is mostly the same. You do need to check your DMV in your state because they may have certain rules about it. I looked at the GA one yesterday and couldn't find anywhere about HOW he actually gets a GA license though! Like if he just automatically gets one (highly unlikely!) or if he has to take the test like a 16 year old or what! It had information about people from out of state getting one, but not from out of country. I plan on posting in the Australia regional section (since he's Australian) and I'm sure I can find my answer there!

Maybe try posting in the Mexico area or just simply looking up your states DMV website to find out.

Good Luck

I can answer that one, as we are in Georgia. My husband was told he could drive on his Canadian driver's permit until his I-94 expired. At the time we were told this he only had about three weeks left on it. Then we were told that he could NOT obtain a driver's permit until he either had his EAD card OR his green card. We had to wait about another six to eight weeks before he could get a DL since his EAD app had not been approved at that time. Having the NOA1 for it doesn't matter to them. Apparently they don't have too many legal immigrants come through their office...they had to go to their "back room" and dig out some manual they claimed had the rules and regs about this type thing.

Janet, your best bet would be to look up the DMV regulations for the state YOU live in. If you don't find an answer, call or make a visit. Best of luck to you both. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Theoretically, you are not meant to drive on an international license under the whole "IDP" scheme. Realistically, it's a non-issue.

Washington: I contacted the Dept of Licensing and they said I'd have to apply for a driver's license within 12 months.

Your biggest issue has not yet been mentioned:

Your partner may be covered as an OCCASIONAL driver of your vehicle. Insurance may deny or attempt to deny any claim by reason of the fact that your spouse could be considered more than occasional, and hence need to be added to your policy.

And therein lies the hiccup. I have not come across a single insurance company, with the exception of one (can't remember, will edit when I get home), that will do this WITHOUT a US license issued.

Therefore, you should be aware of the very real possibility (less likely before marriage, very much more so after) that your partner will effectively be uninsured driving your vehicle.

This was quite a scary prospect for my partner and I. Not so much so when it was her `95 Honda Civic I was driving (not discounting the third party/injury potential, etc), but when we bought a new car. Some of my most careful driving ever, and an immediate license appointment was made! ;)

Filed: Timeline

I was added to my husbands insurance as an additional driver using just my UK license, witch was valid in MA for 12 months from entry or until I became a resident.... I did not apply for my MA license until I had my EAD and SSN... then we updated my info with the insurance company....

Kez

Edited by Niagaenola

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Every state is different. The answer depends on your state's rule. Whether or not his Mexican license is valid and for how long is also up to your state.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
This is pretty important for me to know!
Mine was driving one the first week she was here....

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.