Waitinggame16

Chicago N400 filers

2,519 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Lovie Lovie said:

Congratulations! I also got my interview scheduled this morning too and my interview is for the 31st of July and I’ve alreayd purchased a plane to africa to see my sick mother for August, do you know if I can expedite my oath and also how long after interview is your oath ceremony scheduled for? Thank you very much in advance.  

It depends on the county you live in.. Chicago residents are getting their ceremonies in less than 2 weeks. I am central Illinois and the wait is months. I also have plane tickets booked for September and I am doubtful I am going to get a ceremony before then. They are just once a month at most and I know an April interviewee is still waiting. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 minutes ago, kdg said:

It depends on the county you live in.. Chicago residents are getting their ceremonies in less than 2 weeks. I am central Illinois and the wait is months. I also have plane tickets booked for September and I am doubtful I am going to get a ceremony before then. They are just once a month at most and I know an April interviewee is still waiting. 

Wow thank you! Then I should be fine fine then, I’m actually leaving on the 16th so maybe I should ask the interviewer maybe they can adjust it probably to a week or so after the interview and I heard I can apply and get my passport same day, I don’t know how true is that too. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all! 

Just popping in to give everyone an update. I had an interview yesterday at 10:45 am. I was there 20 minutes before scheduled interview but I had to wait in line to check in for at least 40 minutes. By the time I got up there at the counter, it was 11:05. The lady asked me why I just got here, assuming I arrived late for the interview. I “kindly” told her I’ve been waiting in this for at least 40 minutes. I don’t know what was going on but there were so many people waiting, I’d say at least 20 in front of me. 

Apart from the the hiccup at the beginning, everything else went smoothly. I finally got called back around 11:45 and I was out about 45 minutes later. The officer did ask for a 2017 tax return which it’s the only thing I forgot to bring. Luckily, I had the transcript with me so it was okay. 

So here’s the exciting part. About an hour after interview, at around 12:45 I got a text saying I have an update on my account. I checked my status and it said I was placed in line for oath. This morning I woke up with another text saying there’s an update. Lo and behold, it now said your oath letter was mailed! I asked the office after the interview if there was any way I would make the 4th of July one next week since I’m switching job and don’t want any trouble getting hired. He said probably not because they’re giving priority to military members and veterans especially on 4th of July. So he said I’d probably make July 20. Now that things are moving so fast, one can hope that it’ll be next week which will be awesome. If not, I’ll be happy with the July 20 since it’ll be in my town and I don’t have to travel for it. 

So I’m here to let you guys know that things are moving right along for Chicago office. Yay! And to be there early (although they told you no more than 30 minutes early) or else you could get chastised by the check-in lady for being late even though you were in line waiting to check in the whole time. Also, don’t worry if they skip around the number. They don’t actually called people in numerical order. I was P31 and P37 was called way before me even though I was there first. So who knows. Good luck to all! I’ll update my oath date once I get my letter.  

3326E5FD-F308-41A3-8C04-54E813AAA48B.jpeg

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I moved to Chicago several months ago and have been waiting for my permanent GC to be processed over the past year. My extension letter has since expired, and I have a stamp in my passport that permits me to re-enter the country that will expire in October/18. I submitted my N-400 two weeks ago, and wanted to confirm how my case will be processed given that it seems Chicago handles some things differently. Am I to now expect that my GC will not be approved until my N-400 application is expected to be processed (Oct-19), at which point I will only be approved for my GC and will have to wait another year before  coming up for citizenship? My GC was supposed to be approved any day now, and I am concerned that my process will be extended almost another year because of the things I have read here that Chicago is the only office that will not simultaneously conduct interviews for the GC and citizenship. Please help!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey guys,

Just an update on my N-400 application. Today I received a notice by mail from USCIS to inform me that my naturalization interview was scheduled on August 1st. at the USCIS office downtown.

I am a late September paper filer and was put in line for an interview on 11/28/2017. So a total of about 7 months between I got placed in line for an interview and the elusive email from them confirming that I am finally scheduled for the interview.

I will keep you guys updated and good luck to all my fellow applicants.

2 minutes ago, Sammyd90 said:

Hey guys,

Just an update on my N-400 application. Today I received a notice by mail from USCIS to inform me that my naturalization interview was scheduled on August 1st. at the USCIS office downtown.

I am a late September paper filer and was put in line for an interview on 11/28/2017. So a total of about 7 months between I got placed in line for an interview and the elusive email from them confirming that I am finally scheduled for the interview.

Congratulations. Good luck

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sammyd90 said:

Hey guys,

Congratulations! Hope it’s a smooth sailing from here on out. Good luck on your interview!

Timeline
On 6/30/2018 at 12:42 PM, girl123 said:

Hello everyone,

I moved to Chicago several months ago and have been waiting for my permanent GC to be processed over the past year. My extension letter has since expired, and I have a stamp in my passport that permits me to re-enter the country that will expire in October/18. I submitted my N-400 two weeks ago, and wanted to confirm how my case will be processed given that it seems Chicago handles some things differently. Am I to now expect that my GC will not be approved until my N-400 application is expected to be processed (Oct-19), at which point I will only be approved for my GC and will have to wait another year before  coming up for citizenship? My GC was supposed to be approved any day now, and I am concerned that my process will be extended almost another year because of the things I have read here that Chicago is the only office that will not simultaneously conduct interviews for the GC and citizenship. Please help!

Congratulations I filed on November 6th and my intern has been scheduled for July 1st. I hope I can get my oath ceremony before the 16th of August as I have a planned trip to Africa. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Lovie Lovie said:

Congratulations I filed on November 6th and my interview has been scheduled for July 1st. I hope I can get my oath ceremony before the 16th of August as I have a planned trip to Africa. 

On 6/27/2018 at 4:39 PM, kdg said:

I live in northern Illinois (about 20 miles from the Wisconsin border) I had my interview on May 9th, 2018 and my oath was may 23rd, it's strange that central IL residents have to wait that long. I wonder why that is

All,

Good news...  I got my interview on july 18. I have a simple question.

1. What is the closest parking?

2. From what I understand, I have to do some security check, etc. If so, I plan to go an hour earlier. Is that too early?

3. Do we have to take tax recipiets with us?

4. I did two international trips after N-400 submission- what proof should I show?

5. Finally, if I pass the interview, when will I get my oath ( I live in Chicago suburbs). 

Can someone answee some or all of all of these questions please? I am bit nervous!

1 minute ago, podapodapunnaku said:

All,

2. From what I understand, I have to do some security check, etc. If so, I plan to go an hour earlier. Is that too early?

4. I did two international trips after N-400 submission- what proof should I show?

5. Finally, if I pass the interview, when will I get my oath ( I live in Chicago suburbs). 

Can someone answee some or all of all of these questions please? I am bit nervous!

There is parking pretty close by although it is pretty expensive of course. 

They asked me for my 2017 tax returns (I had of course submitted the years before with the application) I just told her I did not have them back from my accountant and she was fine with that   

And it seems those living near Chicago get path cermonies within about 3 weeks. 

Your passport is checked at the interview, I would take any tickets or itineries just in case. 

Its all very very nerve racking but actually very quick and easy. Good luck! 

11 hours ago, podapodapunnaku said:

All,

When my husband interviewed he used spot hero app for parking and was able to get 6 hrs worth of parking for 12 dollars. It was only a 3-4 minute walk. He used the same thing for oath day. 

I feel 30-45 minutes before your interview is plenty of time. 

My husband did take his tax receipts but was never asked for any of them. 

For your international trips have your passport & a print out of your itinerary. 

Oath dates have no rhyme or reason. I think average time is 2-4 weeks. 

Good luck!!!

Edited by Steelers1020

10 hours ago, Steelers1020 said:

When my husband interviewed he used spot hero app for parking and was able to get 6 hrs worth of parking for 12 dollars. It was only a 3-4 minute walk. He used the same thing for oath day. 

I feel 30-45 minutes before your interview is plenty of time. 

My husband did take his tax receipts but was never asked for any of them. 

For your international trips have your passport & a print out of your itinerary. 

Oath dates have no rhyme or reason. I think average time is 2-4 weeks. 

Good luck!!!

Thank you Steelers and kdg for your prompt answers. I forgot to ask two related question ( from my wife actually)

1. Do we need to take passport size photos (2)?

2. How long does the interview last and how long should I plan for the entire event from parking to parking? My wife has an appointment in the city  after our interview. 

3. We don’t plan to bring children in since Both of them are US citizens. Do I need to bring their birth certificates? Also, are children even allowed?

thanks guys

Just now, podapodapunnaku said:

Thank you Steelers and kdg for your prompt answers. I forgot to ask two related question ( from my wife actually)

1. Do we need to take passport size photos (2)?

2. How long does the interview last and how long should I plan for the entire event from parking to parking? My wife has an appointment in the city  after our interview. 

3. We don’t plan to bring children in since Both of them are US citizens. Do I need to bring their birth certificates? Also, are children even allowed?

thanks guys

No need for photos. All they asked for was passport(s) drivers license and the letter with the appointment scheduled when you first get there. 

The waiting time for me was only about 5 minutes,  I arrived half an hour before my scheduled time and was called five minutes later. I was out of the building before my allotted time!

it feels like a long time but the interview is probably no more than 10-15 minutes. 

I was asked about children (which of course is on the form n400) but nothing other than confirming them. They both are not in the US. 

So, I would say allow an hour or so. I was told straight away that I had passed and was recommended for oath, but I know one lady said she was told to wait around before she was told an hour later. Maybe it depends on your district. 

I did see some children in the waiting area, proably not allowed into the interview but I don’t know for sure. My husband just waited in the area. My IO did ask if he was with me?? 

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.