78 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
mags likes chocolate!

This I know.

For she often tells us so!

(ya I've had a lot of coffee today)

Where on earth did you get the idea I love chocolate?? :blush:

:hehe: I could go look up the thread...but I am not a old thread finder person!

but I know you do!

Why am I in a good mood. No clue! I shouldn't be.

Why not? :(

I think alot of it is regional. In different areas you will see different stuff. Grated cheese sells well here in Indiana, block cheese does not. Hence there is no real point selling too much of the stuff if people are going to ignore it. I reckon for every block of cheese there is about 4 packs of grated stuff! :lol:

Oh, you live in Indiana. Well ignore me then. ;)

:D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Mags didn't you say you were missing cadbury's lol and btw I agree with your post on Homesick, if this person hates our country so much why is it still here??? Why would someone who spoke so lowly of the country that they choose to come to whinge at every opportunity is beyond me. Its like we personally done something to this person, I would suggest that if this person has not got anything good to say then they should keep it too themselves, it is not productive or beneficial to anyone to get into an argument but please keep your negative comments to yourself.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Yes, you've made it quite clear how much you dislike the UK. Usually in EVERY post you write. You're fed up with the UK? Well, I am getting fed up with you whining about it too. Sorry if this post pisses you off, but if you can whine about the UK I'm going to whine about you. :yes:

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like me the proper response would be to put me on ignore (as I'm about to do with you), not to read what I write then whinge about it. You've jumped on many of the posts I've made here and have attacked me but I've not risen to the attacks, and you've gotten more and more aggressive as a result. Hence, I'm going to ignore you from now on. I'm sure it won't make any difference in your life, but it will make a big one in mine.

Have a lovely day.

I must say (poking my nose in) that the last round of visits from you were indeed someone who hated the UK and b*tched and moaned. Someone who was just as your name stated -- homesick. Over time I got used to it, and putting the shoe on the other foot, well...I can't blame you. I was homesick too and did my fair share of b*tching and moaning about the US. I just didn't do it much on a forum. When I did, I got flamed too. I just don't bother now.

This time around you're much better behaved. :lol: Actually, putting the snipes aside (which don't bother me), you're quite funny! Well, I think so anyway.

This may not be the best place to have a whine, and I'm sure there are plenty of other forums where she could find like-minded folks, but when it comes down to it, she's homesick, people. That's all. :yes:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
Yes, you've made it quite clear how much you dislike the UK. Usually in EVERY post you write. You're fed up with the UK? Well, I am getting fed up with you whining about it too. Sorry if this post pisses you off, but if you can whine about the UK I'm going to whine about you. :yes:

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like me the proper response would be to put me on ignore (as I'm about to do with you), not to read what I write then whinge about it. You've jumped on many of the posts I've made here and have attacked me but I've not risen to the attacks, and you've gotten more and more aggressive as a result. Hence, I'm going to ignore you from now on. I'm sure it won't make any difference in your life, but it will make a big one in mine.

Have a lovely day.

I must say (poking my nose in) that the last round of visits from you were indeed someone who hated the UK and b*tched and moaned. Someone who was just as your name stated -- homesick. Over time I got used to it, and putting the shoe on the other foot, well...I can't blame you. I was homesick too and did my fair share of b*tching and moaning about the US. I just didn't do it much on a forum. When I did, I got flamed too. I just don't bother now.

This time around you're much better behaved. :lol: Actually, putting the snipes aside (which don't bother me), you're quite funny! Well, I think so anyway.

This may not be the best place to have a whine, and I'm sure there are plenty of other forums where she could find like-minded folks, but when it comes down to it, she's homesick, people. That's all. :yes:

I can understand the homesickness, I really can. I don't have "issues" with that. I also agree that she can be funny, I enjoy a good laugh, don't we all?

But, to me, slagging off the UK (or making digs about how inferior it is in every post) isn't anything to do with the constant longing for home she must be feeling. Just my honest opinion though.

Thanks for understanding; not many people even attempt to.

In any case we're leaving the UK very soon and all this will be over. We first decided to return to the United States way back in 2004 and in the meantime I've missed so much time with my family, including my grandparents who passed away in December 06 and April 07...after the visa was issued but while our house was still on the market. My nephew was born in March...wasn't there for that. We made it to my brother's wedding but I barely know his wife, and my brother and I were close before I left. There's also my cousins, whom I was close to but were kids when I left; they're all grown up now and have their own lives. Lives I haven't been a part of. It's very painful.

Basically I've had a rotten six years and I never, never, never thought I'd be here this long. I've been aching to move home for about 3 years now. I'm just ready for this to be over.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

In any case we're leaving the UK very soon and all this will be over. We first decided to return to the United States way back in 2004 and in the meantime I've missed so much time with my family, including my grandparents who passed away in December 06 and April 07...after the visa was issued but while our house was still on the market. My nephew was born in March...wasn't there for that. We made it to my brother's wedding but I barely know his wife, and my brother and I were close before I left. There's also my cousins, whom I was close to but were kids when I left; they're all grown up now and have their own lives. Lives I haven't been a part of. It's very painful.

Sounds like you should have never left the USA in the first place to be honest. Still this post should be a warning to some who are ready to pick up sticks and move across the world for a relationship. Doing so means sacrifice, and being away from your family. I feel the pain doubly because right now for work I'm forced to live >2500 miles from any of my family (both on my wife side and my side). It can be hard.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Sounds like you should have never left the USA in the first place to be honest. Still this post should be a warning to some who are ready to pick up sticks and move across the world for a relationship. Doing so means sacrifice, and being away from your family. I feel the pain doubly because right now for work I'm forced to live >2500 miles from any of my family (both on my wife side and my side). It can be hard.

Had I known then what I know now I would not have. The problem is...you never know until you try it. I tried it, didn't like it, and we're leaving. :thumbs: I can't ever get back the time I missed with my family, though, and that makes this all the more difficult.

I think it would have helped a lot if Bush had not been in charge; when people bring up politics with me I try to change the subject because even if I agree with their viewpoints, I am just sick to death of talking about it. I also get tired of all the anti-Americanism in the media and in society here...it is hard for me to ignore it and I lash out at the UK in response, using the 'can't-take-it-don't-dish-it-out' justification. I think since I've been back I've managed to keep most of my negative opinions of the UK to myself; sure, it comes out and there's no point in denying it...but I do not agree that it's 'all' I talk about.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

But, to me, slagging off the UK (or making digs about how inferior it is in every post) isn't anything to do with the constant longing for home she must be feeling. Just my honest opinion though.

I dunno...she even started a thread about what people would miss from the UK so that certainly wasn't sniping. Who's 'she', the cat's mother? Sorry, I hate using that term and I should have used HA instead. :whistle:

Oh, and talking of cheese, have you looked for Cabot in Krogers? I'm sure they have it as BIL buys it all the time over there. They sell it in huge blocks, about $7 a lb. They call it extra sharp, but to me tastes like mild cheddar. The one in a black wax wrapper is a little stronger, but of course more expensive. And I know he gets really good cheeses, and he's only an hour away from you....I'll ask him where.

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

Timeline

I dunno...she even started a thread about what people would miss from the UK so that certainly wasn't sniping. Who's 'she', the cat's mother? Sorry, I hate using that term and I should have used HA instead. :whistle:

You're right, I always say "who's she, the cat's mother?" when people say "she" aswell. *slaps own wrist*

I think my whole point is that if homesick was a little more restrained in her dislike of the UK, she would probably get a hell of alot of sympathy and understanding off of people. I didn't mean to sound nasty when I posted, I really didn't, but it was the icing on the cake for me and I was pretty angry. Just my 0.02c. Anyway, I waffled on enough about it, it's getting old and now I need a drink. :lol:

To homesick (if she is reading): Truce? Cos I'm too old for grudges or long lived issues. Life's too short and all that. :blush:

Oh, and talking of cheese, have you looked for Cabot in Krogers? I'm sure they have it as BIL buys it all the time over there. They sell it in huge blocks, about $7 a lb. They call it extra sharp, but to me tastes like mild cheddar. The one in a black wax wrapper is a little stronger, but of course more expensive. And I know he gets really good cheeses, and he's only an hour away from you....I'll ask him where.

Ah, that would explain you knowing about these hot and humid Indiana summers! Yeah, I'd be interested in where he gets his cheese. Is it me, or did that just not sound right? :P

Yes, I can highly recommend the Cabot strong cheddar cheeses. They're probably the best American cheddar cheese you can get in the supermarket. The "Private Selection" and even "Mature" ones (black label) are pretty common and good.

Who knows if they sell them in Indiana though!

I think my whole point is that if homesick was a little more restrained in her dislike of the UK, she would probably get a hell of alot of sympathy and understanding off of people. I didn't mean to sound nasty when I posted, I really didn't, but it was the icing on the cake for me and I was pretty angry. Just my 0.02c. Anyway, I waffled on enough about it, it's getting old and now I need a drink. :lol:

Ah, that would explain you knowing about these hot and humid Indiana summers! Yeah, I'd be interested in where he gets his cheese. Is it me, or did that just not sound right? :P

I don't think HA is looking for sympathy at all. I mean, she must be the only American here who understands us Brits more than any other. She's lived and worked with them for years, the poor cow. :lol:;) And I don't think you sounded nasty either. :no:

Man, those summers are a killer! I always refuse to visit between May and September. :P

Timeline

I don't think HA is looking for sympathy at all. I mean, she must be the only American here who understands us Brits more than any other. She's lived and worked with them for years, the poor cow. :lol:;) And I don't think you sounded nasty either. :no:

Man, those summers are a killer! I always refuse to visit between May and September. :P

That's why I have central air! :lol:

Lou ~ You ever thought about mediation as a career? ;)

Going back to the original post I do have problems every time I go to the supermarket as well, still trying to get used to the fact they don't have everything the same as us (Bisto Gravy how I will miss thee) I still get blank looks every time I ask if they have dripping, I swear they think I am being abusive.

However saying that I must share with you my experience of a cash out clerk. One evening my Fiance and I decided we fancied a nice bottle of wine with our dinner but had run out, so playing the wonderful boyfriend I agreed to pop over to our local Tom Thumb.

After my obligatory 10 minutes of reading labels and pretending I knew what I was looking for I settled on the wine with the biggest discount (my usual scientific way of deciding) and headed to the till. As I was expecting, despite being 29 years old, I was asked by the cashier for ID and produced my passport. The conversation went as follows:

Cashier: Whats this then?

Me: Its my passport from the United Kingdom

Cashier: Oh are you from their then?

Me: Yes I am, thinking no they just give them out to anyone there.

Store Manager to cashier: Do you know what country the United Kingdom is in?

Everyone looks blankly at one another. I can tell the cashier is struggling with this one.

Cashier: umm, I think it is a country isn't it?

Me: Yes your right (I think she wanted me to give her a gold star at this point)

Then she asks me a question to this day still makes me giggle

Cashier: So do you speak English at the United Kingdom?

Composing myself and trying not to laugh right at her I casually reply Yes we did in fact speak English in England.

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.