Kat And Russ

Is it just me....

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I personally dont consider any language as a "gift" ( btw gifts are not usually returned - whatever the condition it may be). Language is a tool - a method of communication. Myself I was under the impression that the migrants ( before the american government of the day decided it resented the taxation by a island so far away called Britain) were actually a mixed bunch - from all corners of europe - dutch irish british france etc ...so i suspect the "english " being used in american is probably influencedby this. It is interesting to note - i have been told by french canadians that the french they use is slightly different to French in france - and likewise spanish spoken in spain differs to the spanish spoke in other parts of the world.

Language is certainly a fascinating debate thereare so many views on it....

I speak French and the French they speak in Canada is so different that I have trouble understand it...the accent is so strange-sounding to me. :blink:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally dont consider any language as a "gift" ( btw gifts are not usually returned - whatever the condition it may be). Language is a tool - a method of communication. Myself I was under the impression that the migrants ( before the american government of the day decided it resented the taxation by a island so far away called Britain) were actually a mixed bunch - from all corners of europe - dutch irish british france etc ...so i suspect the "english " being used in american is probably influencedby this. It is interesting to note - i have been told by french canadians that the french they use is slightly different to French in france - and likewise spanish spoken in spain differs to the spanish spoke in other parts of the world.

Language is certainly a fascinating debate thereare so many views on it....

I speak French and the French they speak in Canada is so different that I have trouble understand it...the accent is so strange-sounding to me. :blink:

I've found French Canadian very 'slangy', which may be why you have trouble? Get out in the sticks of Quebec, and it's even harder! But then again, the same can be said for the language and accent difference between Paris and somewhere out in the sticks of the south of France. My closest friends are Mexican and wow, they sure do have 'slangy' Spanish compared the the Spanish I learned at school. It sure is fun learning from them though.

Kat -- I hate supermarket shopping too. I find the stores to be dirtier than UK stores which I don't like either. And what is with the aisles of virtually the same stuff? I really don't want to buy chips in 4 different flavours, but 10 different brands. In fact, I don't want to buy chips at all. Same goes for soda and paper products. Wow, paper plates are big sellers! I've given up and just shop at my local co-op -- much better quality and selection.

And the grated cheese? Yeh, they do have it in the UK. It's just so they can sneak in some lovely potato starch and probably all other kinds of fake goodness to get you hooked on chemicals. Gotta love those food companies -- I swear they are linked to drug companies in some way or another.

Shopping in Walmart? I'd rather stick rusty pins in my eyes. Evil! :lol::o

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Btw, does anyone else find it fascinating that cheese seems to be sold grated? You can buy blocks but the grated cheese is everywhere here!

They sell grated cheese here in the UK too...so no. :blink:

But not in the quantities that is available over here in the USA. In the UK there will be a small array of grated cheese products, usually marked up in price. In the USA there will be swathes of the stuff everywhere, with just a few blocks of cheese at the bottom. What I meant is that it is oppositional to the UK.

Perhaps this is something that has only happened over here in the last couple of years so you've missed it, what with being in the UK and all that. :)

Edited by mags

Btw, does anyone else find it fascinating that cheese seems to be sold grated? You can buy blocks but the grated cheese is everywhere here!

They sell grated cheese here in the UK too...so no. :blink:

I was gonna say the same thing. USA doesn't have a monopoly on pre-grated cheese! OK, they probably sell more of it, but honestly I find it damn convient, especially when making tacos. Sometimes I don't want to have to buy 4 different cheeses and spend time grating them and mixing them together.

I have to agree on the cheese stuff.

And theres just so much! :D

What in england would be the ENTIRE selection, here thats just the mozerella part :blink:

I was talking to some of my new friends about how I need to go clothes shopping but look in the "bargain bins", they were kinda blank then said "oh you mean the clearance rack!" - Nope I meant bargain bin! :lol:

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Timeline
Also...the British seem to think that the English language was a 'gift' to us. It wasn't. We WERE you until we threw you out, and it's pretty arrogant to assume that we would treat the language like some fine piece of china that has to eventually be returned to its owner, unscratched and undamaged. When you colonize far-flung places and impose your language on them, you have to expect people to put their own twist on the language. It's natural. Languages are dynamic. They change. Get used to it.

After living here for six years, I'm pretty tired of being told by co-workers who can't spell or use apostrophes correctly that my English is 'wrong'. :wacko:

Yes, you've made it quite clear how much you dislike the UK. Usually in EVERY post you write. You're fed up with the UK? Well, I am getting fed up with you whining about it too. Sorry if this post pisses you off, but if you can whine about the UK I'm going to whine about you. :yes:

Edited by mags

But not in the quantities that is available over here in the USA. In the UK there will be a small array of grated cheese products, usually marked up in price. In the USA there will be swathes of the stuff everywhere, with just a few blocks of cheese at the bottom. What I meant is that it is oppositional to the UK.

Perhaps this is something that has only happened over here in the last couple of years so you've missed it, what with being in the UK and all that. :)

Mags, if your store has more grated cheese than "proper" cheese, I might suggest you're shopping in the wrong place. My supermarket has a fantastic cheese selection. Sometimes US supermarkets have 2 sections, one for the "real" cheese, and one for the "cheapo" cheese. 3 places near me do this, including the Super Wal-mart.

I wouldn't be too sure about that if I were you; at least up here, I find that I often cannot get hold of the cheese I want unless I'm willing to pay an obscene markup for pre-grated cheese. I buy a lot of my cheese at the cheese counter now to avoid the pre-grated stuff.

No, they've sold grated cheese by the bucket in the US for many years.

Yes, you've made it quite clear how much you dislike the UK. Usually in EVERY post you write. You're fed up with the UK? Well, I am getting fed up with you whining about it too. Sorry if this post pisses you off, but if you can whine about the UK I'm going to whine about you. :yes:

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like me the proper response would be to put me on ignore (as I'm about to do with you), not to read what I write then whinge about it. You've jumped on many of the posts I've made here and have attacked me but I've not risen to the attacks, and you've gotten more and more aggressive as a result. Hence, I'm going to ignore you from now on. I'm sure it won't make any difference in your life, but it will make a big one in mine.

Have a lovely day.

Timeline

Mags, if your store has more grated cheese than "proper" cheese, I might suggest you're shopping in the wrong place. My supermarket has a fantastic cheese selection. Sometimes US supermarkets have 2 sections, one for the "real" cheese, and one for the "cheapo" cheese. 3 places near me do this, including the Super Wal-mart.

Well, I live in the middle of no-where, so I am pretty limited with where I can go. I shop in Kroger (cos I hate Wal-Mart). It has one aisle of dairy produce only. Mainly grated cheese but of good quality (Kroger is more expensive than Wally-World and sells better quality goods IMO) but it does have block cheese too.

I think alot of it is regional. In different areas you will see different stuff. Grated cheese sells well here in Indiana, block cheese does not. Hence there is no real point selling too much of the stuff if people are going to ignore it. I reckon for every block of cheese there is about 4 packs of grated stuff! :lol:

Timeline

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like me the proper response would be to put me on ignore (as I'm about to do with you), not to read what I write then whinge about it. You've jumped on many of the posts I've made here and have attacked me but I've not risen to the attacks, and you've gotten more and more aggressive as a result. Hence, I'm going to ignore you from now on. I'm sure it won't make any difference in your life, but it will make a big one in mine.

Have a lovely day.

*waves*

I just get pissed off when you continue to put down the country I was raised in constantly. You've not said ONE nice thing about it, yet this is the country that employs you, let you buy a home and supports you. It gave you indefinite leave to remain and yet you STILL continue to ####### and whine about it. There's gratitude for you.

I would NEVER treat the USA the same.

Incidentally, I read back on ALL of your post history and this is a problem you had on VJ before, so it isn't just ME picking on you as you no doubt feel it is. Others obviously get the same impression as I.

You won't be reading this anyway, but this post is more for anyone else reading this and thinking "what's going on here?". I wanted to get my POV across and make my reasons clear for the way I responded to your post. I'm just getting annoyed with it all, to be honest.

The UK is far from perfect, but you seem to launch into a full scale decimation of it's character at every available opportunity. It's very sad.

Edited by mags

cheese.

I like it.

Most kinds.

not american yellow orange plastic stuff.

Not huge on blue cheese all by it self.

But cheese is good mm-kay.

I like grated cheese for the ease! (ha)

But blocked cheese and crackers....yumo.

bubbley cheese on pizza.

Yum.

See some people can't live without chocolate. But i don't think I could live without cheese.

What was this thread about again? :blush:

mags likes chocolate!

This I know.

For she often tells us so!

(ya I've had a lot of coffee today)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

mags likes chocolate!

This I know.

For she often tells us so!

(ya I've had a lot of coffee today)

Where on earth did you get the idea I love chocolate?? :blush:

:hehe: I could go look up the thread...but I am not a old thread finder person!

but I know you do!

Why am I in a good mood. No clue! I shouldn't be.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

I think alot of it is regional. In different areas you will see different stuff. Grated cheese sells well here in Indiana, block cheese does not. Hence there is no real point selling too much of the stuff if people are going to ignore it. I reckon for every block of cheese there is about 4 packs of grated stuff! :lol:

Oh, you live in Indiana. Well ignore me then. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.