tomrein

Wife arrived on CR-1 visa

10 posts in this topic

My Wife rein arrived on a CR-1 Visa on April 10th, We applied for a Social Security number on the 14t at the local office, but now we dont know what to do. What do we have to do next, we were very sure of ourselves with visa journeys and assawa sites help but now we are very confused. and calling uscis didnt help much, the operator sounded more confused then us. From what i gleaned we need to file a I751, but talking to Uscis makes me think we need to file a I-485 first for a green card, then wait for the green card to nearly expire(ninety days before) and file a I-751.

PLease help, Rein is here on CR_1 visa which she entered USA on April 10th, we filed for SSN# at local office, and now we need to know what move to make.

Thanks in advance

tom & Rein

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since she came in with a CR-1 visa all she has to do is wait for her green card to come in the mail. 90 days before the 2 year mark she will need to file to remove conditions and that way she will get her 10 year green card.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Since she came in with a CR-1 visa all she has to do is wait for her green card to come in the mail. 90 days before the 2 year mark she will need to file to remove conditions and that way she will get her 10 year green card.
Correct entering country on a CR-1 generates a conditional green-card, it should arrive in the mail, unless for some reason you changed your address since the petition was made, the post office wont forward it, they will send it back to USCIS.

You file I-751 within 90 days before the expiration of the conditional green-card.

If the officer at the POE stamped the passport with an I-551 stamp, the passport will act as a temp green-card until the official one arrives.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You should receive the GC in mail.

***I-130***

2006-12-14 I-130 Sent to Vermont Service Center

2007-01-12 I-130 NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***I-129F (new form)***

2007-01-31 I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-02-07 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***US Embassy Islamabad***

2007-04-25 Packet Received by my wife

2007-05-15 Medical Exam

2007-05-29 Interview Approved!

2007-05-29 AP starts

2007-11-01 Wife got call to pickup her Visa from American Express

2008-01-12 POE at JFK

***I-485***

2008-11-10 I-485 Sent to Chicago

2008-11-20 Payment accepted

2008-11-22 I-485 NOA1

2009-01-09 Biometric

2009-03-08 Interview Letter

2009-04-08 Interview Approved!

2009-04-08 Welcome letter received

2009-04-18 Green Card Received

USA_b.gifpakistan_b.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and anything posted is just my own opinion

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My Wife rein arrived on a CR-1 Visa on April 10th, We applied for a Social Security number on the 14t at the local office, but now we dont know what to do. What do we have to do next, we were very sure of ourselves with visa journeys and assawa sites help but now we are very confused. and calling uscis didnt help much, the operator sounded more confused then us. From what i gleaned we need to file a I751, but talking to Uscis makes me think we need to file a I-485 first for a green card, then wait for the green card to nearly expire(ninety days before) and file a I-751.

PLease help, Rein is here on CR_1 visa which she entered USA on April 10th, we filed for SSN# at local office, and now we need to know what move to make.

Thanks in advance

tom & Rein

Pleeeeease read the first three links in my signature---ok, I'll even settle for the first two. It is very important that you and your wife understand her new status in the US, her rights and her responsibilities. Failure to understand the I-751 can result in cancelling her status and removal from the US.

The Arriving in America thread may have some useful info for you, and/or the last portion of the DCF Guide (believe it or not! :) )

Welcome to America, Rein!

PS: didn't you also apply for the Social Security number on DS-230II?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

That's another question I have. Has anyone had any problems getting their SS card in the mail if you checked the box on the DS-230? Is this advisable to do or should the beneficiary apply for a SS# here in the States?

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
That's another question I have. Has anyone had any problems getting their SS card in the mail if you checked the box on the DS-230? Is this advisable to do or should the beneficiary apply for a SS# here in the States?

Come over here for your spanking right now! :)

Has anyone actually received a SS card just from checking DS-230?, Just wondering if checking the box on DS-230 works

Thank Yous to mdyoung (RIP)

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has entered into agreements with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State (DOS) for those agencies to assist SSA by collecting as part of the immigration process the information SSA needs to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. DHS electronically forwards the data to SSA once the person is admitted to the United States (U.S.), to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. SSA calls this data sharing process Enumeration at Entry (EAE).

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Individuals age 18 or older applying at a foreign service post for an immigrant visa and alien registration, i.e., completes the Form DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, should answer “yes” to the questions 33a and 33b on the form if he or she wants an SSN assigned or replacement card issued.

The individual should receive his or her original or replacement SSN card within 3 weeks after arriving in the United States. The SSN card will be mailed to the same United States mailing address that is used to mail the Permanent Resident card (I-551).

If you answered “yes” to being assigned an SSN on form DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa and you have not receive your SSN card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the United States, suggest that you go into your local Social Security office.

If you have been assigned an SSN, the office can provide you with the number. However, if you have not received your card within 14 days of your SSN being assigned, normally you will need to apply for a replacement SSN card.

If no SSN has been assigned after 3 weeks or application is found pending, you will need to submit an SSN application (Form SS-5) at one of our offices.

Only aliens age 18 and over will be processed by EAE. Children under age 18 must apply for Social Security numbers at a Social Security office after admission to the U.S. This is so SSA may collect their parents' Social Security numbers to provide to Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

You may also wish to review “Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers,” that can be found on our Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Website.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Thanks meauxna! (and please don't spank me, it was a spur of the moment type of question) :whistle:

So I guess it works for the majority of the people who check the box on the DS-230. I hope it works for us because taking time off from work to go to the embassy and then getting a SS card will not fly for me. Not to mention running the whole getting a driver's license errand. Phew!

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks in advance

tom & Rein

Don't you know that you'll get your green card after your arrival in the US? When you do receive your green card, look at the expiration date. 3 months before your green card expires, you'll file the I-751 for the 10 year green card.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
If the beneficiary does not receive the SS card, follow up with the SS office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.