Peot

Paying NVC Fee At Scotiabank Branch

1 post in this topic

I opted to pay the NVC fee (cash option) at Scotiabank today. This was done because I didn't want to use the credit card option and my personal bank was not on the list of banks in the electronic interac section.

I saw some topics about this from 2010 and earlier, and they had different steps. I wanted to update it with my experience!

1. I printed out the PDF document with the MRV number. This is given to you when you opt to pay by cash, and is also emailed to you.
  2. There is no deposit slip. One was not needed. All the info is on the document you print out.
  3. You have 6 days from the time you print out your PDF until the time you pay. That date is clearly printed on the document. If you miss that date, you can simply print out a new form from the website and it will update the date to 6 days in the future.
  4. I walked to the nearest Scotiabank and gave them the print out. They had the entire branch looking at it, but the manager WAS aware that they were the authorized bank and they were able to pull up info on their screen about how to process it.
  5. Since I didn't have any USD on me, they had to do a currency conversion. No problem. Wish the exchange rate was better now!!
  6. They then made THREE COPIES of the MRV document. All of them got stamped by the branch as per their instructions. They kept a copy and gave me the remaining two which I will bring to the consulate.
  7. They also gave me two copies of the payment receipt (just in case I ran into an issue with payments, or in case the consulate needed it).
  8. Within 3 hours, I received an email of completed payment!

I should also note that I am not a Scotiabank member, nor have I ever been. I thought there would be some kind of hassle, but it was all very quick, painless, and easy. Took about 10 minutes. They were all friendly and asked me how the whole process was going, what I was moving there for, and seemed genuinely interested in their first ever consulate payment at the branch.

No deposit slips were needed, no writing of PIN's anywhere... just give them the document and they'll take care of you.

In fact, I'd even recommend this over using electronic funds transfers or credit card payments. At least you have a person (or group of people) who can attest to the payment being made with receipts, stamps, records, and so forth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.