Peot

I-134 co-sponsor tax documents?

8 posts in this topic

Asking this here instead of K-1 general forum since this gets consulate specific. 

Has anyone who has gone though the MTL interview been asked for tax documents of the sponsor / co-sponsor for the I-134 form??

I have read packet 3, packet 4, and the instructions on the I-134. There is no tax return mentioned for evidence of support. Not on any of those documents unless you are self-employed. I do know that it's a requirement of the later I-864, but at this stage, how much of a requirement is it? I mean of course I'm lucky to have a forum like this to refer to, but what about those who don't go based on what they read online? None of the documents suggest tax return info is necessary, and I find it completely bizarre that they would make it a requirement at the interview without once mentioning it beforehand.

However, I literally can't find a single thread on this forum that suggests they aren't required! How does Montreal regard this??

The reason this is an issue at all is because one of our co-sponsors joint-files his taxes because he's married. The issue of information privacy comes up with his wife. She's not too keen to hand over the tax info, though the husband CAN provide proof of employment, pay stubs, etc..

The thing is... a person's last  year's tax return info could be completely different than their current financial situation. With that being the case, why in the world would it be required by the consulate at all? A person could have made $100,000 in 2016 and have $0 currently in the bank with no job. Surely they know this....

According to the Packet 4, Page 7, the K-1 checklist did mention IRS tax transcript :) 

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required_documents_and_forms/

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

3 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

According to the Packet 4, Page 7, the K-1 checklist did mention IRS tax transcript :) 

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required_documents_and_forms/

That "Packet 4" is not sent to people. It is not linked, mentioned, referenced, or otherwise in the email that they send you from the consulate with the confirmation number from Packet 3.

What they instead send is a checklist in email format. I could even take a screenshot if you like.

I'm not sure how much I trust a document that says "Revised: 03‐November‐2015 " and that was not sent to me by the consulate, despite it appearing on their website.

Technically you can still download the 2 versions ago packet 3 from their website as well... but that doesn't make it valid.

I have attached a picture of the checklist they send in the Packet 4 email. You can see how the line about I-134 differs specifically. 

visachecklist.png

Well, your co-sponsor can provide you with his 1040 and W2. However, given the tax filing period for 2016 has passed, I'm just afraid that the consulate may still ask for his tax transcript and give you a 221g if the CO is picky about documents. Whilst tax transcripts (or any other things really) aren't specifically mentioned in the checklist, it's best to be well prepared than under-prepared. Because, if they do ask for it, you'll already have them in hand. Some embassies list the I-134 as a required document to be handcarried to the embassy yet the COs don't even end up asking for or looking at it. So, go figure. I personally wish they would just have standardized required documents and give 100% clear instructions instead of leaving it vague.

About your co-sponsor's wife, if it bugs her so much, maybe the husband could print out the tax transcripts and put them in a sealed enveloped and your fiance just mail them to you that way? I know it's not much but at least you won't get to see their tax information outright (if that's their privacy concern) :ph34r:

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

On 7/16/2017 at 7:00 PM, KULtoATL said:

Well, your co-sponsor can provide you with his 1040 and W2. However, given the tax filing period for 2016 has passed, I'm just afraid that the consulate may still ask for his tax transcript and give you a 221g if the CO is picky about documents. Whilst tax transcripts (or any other things really) aren't specifically mentioned in the checklist, it's best to be well prepared than under-prepared. Because, if they do ask for it, you'll already have them in hand. Some embassies list the I-134 as a required document to be handcarried to the embassy yet the COs don't even end up asking for or looking at it. So, go figure. I personally wish they would just have standardized required documents and give 100% clear instructions instead of leaving it vague.

About your co-sponsor's wife, if it bugs her so much, maybe the husband could print out the tax transcripts and put them in a sealed enveloped and your fiance just mail them to you that way? I know it's not much but at least you won't get to see their tax information outright (if that's their privacy concern) :ph34r:

Well they've already filed the taxes. Printing out the transcript and W2 can be done from IRS website. The only issue is the wife being cautious about privacy, I suppose.

We managed to get TWO co-sponsors - Both make the 125% easily, and one is willing to submit all of the tax info. I was really hoping to get BOTH of them as co-sponsors, but if it can only be the one due to this tax info not being available, so be it.

If one co-sponsor can meet the 125% easily, then it's fine to just skip the other one :) Glad it worked out one way or another.

16 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

If one co-sponsor can meet the 125% easily, then it's fine to just skip the other one :) Glad it worked out one way or another.

Well my desire to have both of them (when I knew I could get two), was because my fiance really does NOT make the minimum requirement at this time for 125% with both me and her daughter as dependents. We figured having two would be better than one to show that we "really" can support this visa. Even if it's completely unnecessary. It might be overkill, but then again I've even read stories here of people having the consulate demand a second co-sponsor!

She does have a new entry-level job, it pays more than minimum wage, and she works more than part-time.... Yet it doesn't meet the guideline 125% which seems a bit crazy. Looks like wages have not inflated like this poverty value has over time. Or maybe they just don't want people who are in entry-level positions to get married to immigrants? It's a weird vetting, that's for sure.

I also have a pending job offer in the United States upon entry and EAD (expedited). Contract is already signed ensuring employment. Surely they SHOULD consider things like that when it comes to these support forms, but for some reason it's there to stop people anyway, regardless of whether they can support themselves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.