Synonym

Adjustment of Status - who is filing what and immigration status?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
Just now, Synonym said:

Yes he is the only sponsor and meet the requirements for that. We just don't understand completely which box he is supposed to tick on the form:

Picture is added under

IMG_9613.PNG

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see that you wrote her he is the "only joint sponsor".

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Synonym said:

Yes he is the only sponsor and meet the requirements for that. We just don't understand completely which box he is supposed to tick on the form:

Picture is added under

IMG_9613.PNG

"I am the petitioner"..., box 1.a

P.S. Sorry  - misunderstood you and gave you incorrect answer in my previous comment :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
Just now, Synonym said:

Ahh so he is the petitioner, not the "only joint sponsor" in this case?

Yep : )
He is a petitioner of "everything" ;)   -  "Item Number 1.a. Select this box if you are the petitioner who is filing or who has already filed Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), for a fiancé(e); Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a family member; Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, for an orphan; or Form I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative, for a convention adoptee."

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

Yep : )
He is a petitioner of "everything" ;)   -  "Item Number 1.a. Select this box if you are the petitioner who is filing or who has already filed Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), for a fiancé(e); Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a family member; Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, for an orphan; or Form I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative, for a convention adoptee."

Thank you! That was great to get cleared up! :) I thought he would be the only joint sponsor, so that would have been wrong if he ticked off that box.. 

When you say everyone, do you mean that he also technically is the petitioner of all my other forms?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Synonym said:

Thank you! That was great to get cleared up! :) I thought he would be the only joint sponsor, so that would have been wrong if he ticked off that box.. 

When you say everyone, do you mean that he also technically is the petitioner of all my other forms?

Technically - yes, so far he is petitioner of your immigrant benefits. We are - applicants:) 

Timeline

I believe the first time we see a word "petition" addressed to us - at ROC stage :) And I believe we are still recognized by USCIS as applicants, in most cases I-751 is a joint petition...

I spoke with IO few days ago, and I said I was a petitioner (I-751)... He corrected me, that I'm an applicant. Confusing,. right? : ) 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

I believe the first time we see a word "petition" addressed to us - at ROC stage :) And I believe we are still recognized by USCIS as applicants, because in most cases I-751 is a joint petition...

I spoke with IO few days ago, and I said I was a petitioner (I-751)... He corrected me, that I'm an applicant. Confusing,. right? : ) 

Haha yes, very confusing 😅 But I guess that's just how the system is. I thought I was the one who petitioned to get my status adjusted, but I understand now that I'm applying to get it adjusted. I finally think I'm almost done with everything, but it's nice to get these things sorted out :) You really know a lot about this!

Timeline
6 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

I believe the first time we see a word "petition" addressed to us - at ROC stage :) And I believe we are still recognized by USCIS as applicants, in most cases I-751 is a joint petition...

Btw, this is about the affidavit of support:

My husband makes well above the limit of what is required for being my sponsor. But that is just the past two years he started working and making that kind of money. They say that they need the last three years of tax returns, but in 2014 he didn't really work that much and made less than what they require.

till this be a problem in regards to what they require for him to be my sponsor? Do we need a joint sponsor? It was no problem in regards to our K1 petition.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Synonym said:

Btw, this is about the affidavit of support:

My husband makes well above the limit of what is required for being my sponsor. But that is just the past two years he started working and making that kind of money. They say that they need the last three years of tax returns, but in 2014 he didn't really work that much and made less than what they require.

till this be a problem in regards to what they require for him to be my sponsor? Do we need a joint sponsor? It was no problem in regards to our K1 petition.

They are interested in his current income, so if his Tax Return for tax year 2016 shows  his income reaches this 125% requirement, you should be fine :) You can also include his paychecks stubs for 2017, to support his current income and I-864.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Synonym said:

It is only my husband and me in our household, and he is sponsoring only me. 

So we have some problems understanding Part 5. 

IMG_9615.thumb.PNG.808ee42646692d1ad043c4f236108297.PNG

Part 5.

1. - 1 (he is sponsoring just you and you are in Part.3, right? :)

2. - 1 (himself)

3. - nothing, You've been already mentioned in p.1, and this part clearly states to not count any body more than once.

4. - nothing (no children, right?)

5. - nothing, if hi has no dependent (parents or anybody else). Tax Return for 2016 could be helpful - it shows if there are any dependents there.

6. - nothing

7. - nothing

8. - 2 (household size)

here is a good example, from VJ ;) 

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-864.pdf

Timeline
On 19.7.2017 at 7:37 AM, Ksenia_O said:

Part 5.

1. - 1 (he is sponsoring just you and you are in Part.3, right? :)

2. - 1 (himself)

3. - nothing, You've been already mentioned in p.1, and this part clearly states to not count any body more than once.

4. - nothing (no children, right?)

5. - nothing, if hi has no dependent (parents or anybody else). Tax Return for 2016 could be helpful - it shows if there are any dependents there.

6. - nothing

7. - nothing

8. - 2 (household size)

here is a good example, from VJ ;) 

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-864.pdf

Thank you, that was very helpful! :) Haha I know I ask a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure that everything is right. 

And here is another question:

• On the PDF file for the I-485 form I'm trying to type in what is was admitted as at the border, which is K1 visa holder (part 1, Q. 22a). The same for my status on my I-94 (23c). But the PDF doesn't allow me to type in numbers, so therefore I'm not able to write K1. Does this mean that I'm supposed to write something else here than K1, or can I just write it in black inc by hand?

Timeline

And in form I-765 (I might have asked this question to you before, I just don't understand it completely):

• What is my "eligibility category" (Q.16)?

I really don't understand this. 

I though I was C9: adjustment applicant. But it's says they require a receipt that my I-485 is pending, but that I can also file the form with my I-485.

Then I started wondering if I'm A6: K1 filing within 90 days of entry.

It's confusing! 

Timeline
18 hours ago, Synonym said:

Thank you, that was very helpful! :) Haha I know I ask a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure that everything is right. 

And here is another question:

• On the PDF file for the I-485 form I'm trying to type in what is was admitted as at the border, which is K1 visa holder (part 1, Q. 22a). The same for my status on my I-94 (23c). But the PDF doesn't allow me to type in numbers, so therefore I'm not able to write K1. Does this mean that I'm supposed to write something else here than K1, or can I just write it in black inc by hand?

Well, I see it is possible to type, but only in the box 22.d "Other". I'm not sure if this is the right place for K1...  Sorry :) The form I filed for AOS (previous version) didn't have that "confusion" ;)

Here is the link, Jun 2017 filers. People have already submitted their AOS, using new I-485 form. so  they could help you with Part.1 of I-485 "new" form.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.