Synonym

Adjustment of Status - who is filing what and immigration status?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Synonym said:

No problem :) I actually had a few questions regarding the I-131 too actually. If I check of that I need to use it for "multiple trips", would they be less likely to approve it or would it take longer you think? And approximately how long do you think he i-765 and I-131 processing will take? :) and last question, are you sure they don't need to be notarized or stamped or anything? Just regular photocopies?

I had "multiple" in my I-131 as well.  It doesn't really matter for the processing of I-131, so no worries - it won't effect a "wait time" or approval :)

Currently it takes around 90-120 days to have a combo EAD card (Employment Authorization+Advance Parole). If no RFE for your I-485. I-765 & I-131 depend on your I-485. If RFE is issued, when issuance of those two can be stopped until you respond to RFE. Sometimes it can be two separate documents - Employment Authorization card (I-765) and I-131/Travel Document Notice, a "paper" :)  .

First time, when I just filed for I-485, I received a combo card. But the second time (I had to renew both due to long AOS pending time) I got two different documents. But yes, in most case it should be a combo card.

I'm sure - nothing needs ti be notarized :) Just regular photocopies and certified copy of your marriage license is recommended :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

I had "multiple" in my I-131 as well.  It doesn't really matter for the processing of I-131, so no worries - it won't effect a "wait time" or approval :)

Currently it takes around 90-120 days to have a combo EAD card (Employment Authorization+Advance Parole). If no RFE for your I-485. I-765 & I-131 depend on your I-485. If RFE is issued, when issuance of those two can be stopped until you respond to RFE. Sometimes it can be two separate documents - Employment Authorization card (I-765) and I-131/Travel Document Notice, a "paper" :)  .

First time, when I just filed for I-485, I received a combo card. But the second time (I had to renew both due to long AOS pending time) I got two different documents. But yes, in most case it should be a combo card.

I'm sure - nothing needs ti be notarized :) Just regular photocopies and certified copy of your marriage license is recommended :)

Aii that was longer then I expected.. I hoped it would be a month or two for the work authorization. If I file everything together in the same package, will that save me money? I feel like I've read about something like that :)  When did you apply? And what was the total waiting time for the AOS?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Synonym said:

Aii that was longer then I expected.. I hoped it would be a month or two for the work authorization. If I file everything together in the same package, will that save me money? I feel like I've read about something like that :)  When did you apply? And what was the total waiting time for the AOS?

I applied in June, 2014. Approved - September, 2015. It took 15 months.. , long wait :) Thank you for asking.. Probably it was a "pay back " for our fast I-129F approval - took only 3 weeks from submission til NOA2 :)

It' was around 60-90 days, when i filed, but now, according to USCIS processing time and VJ folks experiences - yes, it takes what it takes, around 90-120. Sometimes, not often :) l people still get it about 60-90 days, but most - longer..

you are right - if you file I-765 & I-131 along with your I-485, those two are fee waived. Just I-485 filing fee + biometric fee ;)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

I applied in June, 2014. Approved - September, 2015. It took 15 months.. , long wait :) Thank you for asking.. Probably it was a "pay back " for our fast I-129F approval - took only 3 weeks from submission til NOA2 :)

It' was around 60-90 days, when i filed, but now, according to USCIS processing time and VJ folks experiences - yes, it takes what it takes, around 90-120. Sometimes, not often :) l people still get it about 60-90 days, but most - longer..

you are right - if you file I-765 & I-131 along with your I-485, those two are fee waived. Just I-485 filing fee + biometric fee ;)

Wow yes that is a long wait, but at least you got approved! Yay :D  Haha our NOA2 I-129F approval was also fast, but not as fast as yours, two months I think. In general I think it was a total of 5 months from applying to I had the K1 visa in my passport. May I ask where in the US you live?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Synonym said:

Wow yes that is a long wait, but at least you got approved! Yay :D  Haha our NOA2 I-129F approval was also fast, but not as fast as yours, two months I think. In general I think it was a total of 5 months from applying to I had the K1 visa in my passport. May I ask where in the US you live?

Yeahhh It's been :)

It would've been so-so alright, that long wait, if I didn't have to make numerous visits to DMV for my Driver License renewal.(S).. trying to prove every time 'i'm legal enough" to drive :) 

But - done ;)

It can really take up to a year to adjust your status from K1. Often a Potential Interview Waiver can be recieved - it means no interview, but wait is gonna be longer ; ) At the same time my friend (also K1) just got her AOS approved, and it took 5 months. So, hopefully, things started moving a little faster for I-485 filers.

I'm in Missouri :) Where are you? ;)

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Yeahhh It's been :)

It would've been so-so alright, that long wait, if I didn't have to make numerous visits to DMV for my Driver License renewal.(S).. trying to prove every time 'i'm legal enough" to drive :) 

But - done ;)

It can really take up to a year to adjust your status from K1. Often a Potential Interview Waiver can be recieved - it means no interview, but wait is gonna be longer ; ) At the same time my friend (also K1) just got her AOS approved, and it took 5 months. So, hopefully, things started moving a little faster for I-485 filers.

I'm in Missouri :) Where are you? ;)

Haha oh no that sucks that your license expired all the time, I wonder when I can apply for one. I haven't really looked into that yet. I live in San Diego :) I met a woman just now at the library who just got hers approved in 8 months, and the Work authorization was super fast for her, so I'm going to cross my fingers! 

I just went to take copies of the documents I need for my application, first of all: 

• Do you know how many copies of each document I need? Do I need triple of everything since I'm applying for three different forms?

• The quality on the prints didn't turn out so well on the pictures, do you think this is a problem as long as I submit the original photo with the forms? I'm planning on taking new photos for the passport sized pictures they ask for, but I still have copies of the old that is used in most of my documents. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Synonym said:

Haha oh no that sucks that your license expired all the time, I wonder when I can apply for one. I haven't really looked into that yet. I live in San Diego :) I met a woman just now at the library who just got hers approved in 8 months, and the Work authorization was super fast for her, so I'm going to cross my fingers! 

I just went to take copies of the documents I need for my application, first of all: 

• Do you know how many copies of each document I need? Do I need triple of everything since I'm applying for three different forms?

• The quality on the prints didn't turn out so well on the pictures, do you think this is a problem as long as I submit the original photo with the forms? I'm planning on taking new photos for the passport sized pictures they ask for, but I still have copies of the old that is used in most of my documents. 

No, you don't have to make three copies of each :)

the main application, I-485 - yes, there is a list :) but for I-765 you just need  2 passport photos  (attached with a paper clip to Form I-765 and signed), copy of your passport (ID page, K-1 Visa) and I-94.  We included a copy of Marriage Licence, but it's not really required.

For  I-131 Application - copy of your  passport (ID page, K-1 Visa), I-94, 2 passport photos y (attached with a paper clip to Form I-131 and signed).

I would take new passport style pictures.. 

19 minutes ago, Synonym said:

• The quality on the prints didn't turn out so well on the pictures, do you think this is a problem as long as I submit the original photo with the forms? 

you mean  pictures of your passport pages?... 

Timeline
On 13.7.2017 at 1:08 PM, Ksenia_O said:

No, you don't have to make three copies of each :)

the main application, I-485 - yes, there is a list :) but for I-765 you just need  2 passport photos  (attached with a paper clip to Form I-765 and signed), copy of your passport (ID page, K-1 Visa) and I-94.  We included a copy of Marriage Licence, but it's not really required.

For  I-131 Application - copy of your  passport (ID page, K-1 Visa), I-94, 2 passport photos y (attached with a paper clip to Form I-131 and signed).

I would take new passport style pictures.. 

you mean  pictures of your passport pages?... 

Ive now fixed everything from passport style photos to copies, but I only got 4 passport style photos I see now that I got home.. damn, it looks like I'll be needing 6? 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Synonym said:

Ive now fixed everything from passport style photos to copies, but I only got 4 passport style photos I see now that I got home.. damn, it looks like I'll be needing 6? 

You know, I sent only 2 and everything was fine. The same - for my son's AOS (he arrived 3 months later than me and his was filed separately). Anyway they use pictures, taken at your ASC (biometric) appointment.

But i see most people here, on VJ,  usually send 6 - 2 photos for each form...  

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

You know, I sent only 2 and everything was fine. The same - for my son's AOS (he arrived 3 months later than me and his was filed separately). Anyway they use pictures, taken at your ASC (biometric) appointment.

But i see most people her, on VJ,  usually send 6 - 2 photos for each form...  

Ah Ok, I thought I'd only need 2, but got an extra set for free just in case.

Do you know if they process all the applications together if I send them in one package, so I can just put the booklet with the 4 passport pics In with the first page?  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Synonym said:

Ah Ok, I thought I'd only need 2, but got an extra set for free just in case.

Do you know if they process all the applications together if I send them in one package, so I can just put the booklet with the 4 passport pics In with the first page?  

They will get separated -  I-485, from I-765/I-131.  

What we did - yes, we sent them together, but each application  had its own cover letter and required documents, attached after the filing form. 

For example, for I-485

1. G-1145 (notification form) 

2. Cover Letter

2. Form I-485

3. List of documnets, required for I-485.

For I-765.

1. G-1145

2. cover Letter

3. Form I-765

4. Required documents

For I-131

1.G-1145

2. Cover Letter

3. Form I-131

4. Documents.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

They will get separated -  I-485, from I-765/I-131.  

What we did - yes, we sent them together, but each application  had its own cover letter and required documents, attached after the filing form. 

For example, for I-485

1. G-1145 (notification form) 

2. Cover Letter

2. Form I-485

3. List of documnets, required for I-485.

For I-765.

1. G-1145

2. cover Letter

3. Form I-765

4. Required documents

For I-131

1.G-1145

2. Cover Letter

3. Form I-131

4. Documents.

But I attached photos only with I-485. ..because  it was in  "one" package anyway.... 

But you know, since EAD (I-765/I131) approval now takes much longer than when I filed... I would probably attach pictures to each application.. So, total of 6.. Just to avoid a possible RFE - it all depends on a person who will review your case and i really don't want any delays for you. It takes long enough anyway... 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

But I attached photos only with I-485. ..because  it was in  "one" package anyway.... 

But you know, since EAD (I-765/I131) approval now takes much longer than when I filed... I would probably attach pictures to each application.. So, total of 6.. Just to avoid a possible RFE - it all depends on a person who will review your case and i really don't want any delays for you. It takes long enough anyway... 

Ok, yes that sounds like a good idea. I just hope they stored my pictures at CVS so they easily can copy of an extra set of two.

I also see many places that they request a receipt from pending I-485 if applying for I-131. I also think this is one of the questions in the application form. This doesn't apply for me since I'm applying all at once, right?

and also, my husband is going to be the sponsor for the affidavit of support. Is he then the "petitioner" or the "only joint sponsor"? 

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Synonym said:

Ok, yes that sounds like a good idea. I just hope they stored my pictures at CVS so they easily can copy of an extra set of two.

I also see many places that they request a receipt from pending I-485 if applying for I-131. I also think this is one of the questions in the application form. This doesn't apply for me since I'm applying all at once, right? - right :) Sometimes people file I-131 or I-765 separately, after their I-485 has been already submitted. In this case - yes, an inclusion of NOA1 for your I-485 is required.

reach the 125% income requirement alone

and also, my husband is going to be the sponsor for the affidavit of support. Is he then the "petitioner" or the "only joint sponsor"?  - You husband IS "the only joint sponsor"..  if his income reaches  the 125% income requirement alone :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Yes he is the only sponsor and meet the requirements for that. We just don't understand completely which box he is supposed to tick on the form:

Picture is added under

IMG_9613.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.