231 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hi, I am kind of confused and i hope for some quick help. It seems like i made a mistake.

I filed an I-130 for my mother in July. She is here on a B2. 

Was i supposed to file a I-485  at the same time?

If yes, Please advice on what i can do now?

Her visa expires on the 11 of January.

Thank you.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, kori said:

Hi, I am kind of confused and i hope for some quick help. It seems like i made a mistake.

I filed an I-130 for my mother in July. She is here on a B2. 

Was i supposed to file a I-485  at the same time?

If yes, Please advice on what i can do now?

Her visa expires on the 11 of January.

Thank you.

Hi, 

yes you you can file you I-485 concurrently with the I-130. Your best bet would be to gather the evidence required for the  I-485 and attach the I-797 noa from your I-130 

you can also apply for the ead/AP as well. I believe the fee will be waived because you are doing a concurrent filing. However, I would search the forums for this scenario for a definite answer.

Hope this helps!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, kori said:

Thank you for your fast reply.

What is a ead/AP?

Thanks.

Employment authorization document/Advanced parole

EAD -> allows you to work while your I-485 case is pending.

AP -> allows you to travel while your I-485 case is pending.

Timeline

Thank you.

My mom is 73 years. So i guess she won't need the EAD.

As for the AP, i was wondering if she could visit my niece in Canada in January. Am not sure if by that time, her green card would be out yet.

Do you think it is better for her to wait for the green card or she can go ahead and travel with the AP?

Timeline
47 minutes ago, kori said:

Thank you.

My mom is 73 years. So i guess she won't need the EAD.

As for the AP, i was wondering if she could visit my niece in Canada in January. Am not sure if by that time, her green card would be out yet.

Do you think it is better for her to wait for the green card or she can go ahead and travel with the AP?

If you apply for your I-485 today. it will take a minimum of 90 days to get her AP, I dont think she will be able to travel before January. 

She would be able to use the AP to travel to Canada after she has her AP card. Just a note: she will have to have a visitor visa approved to be allowed entry into Canada (unless she is Canadian, or already has a visitor visa). Having the AP alone will not grant entry into Canada. It will only allow her to be paroled back into the USA. 

Timeline

Good to know. She has no visa for Canada s can forget hat idea.

Will start working on sending the I-485 package. Hopefully, i can mail it this week end.

There is still something i don't understand. Which one of the two should be approved first? I-130 or I-485?

Sorry if i have so many questions. Thank for your time.

Will start working on sending the I-485 package. Hopefully, i can mail it this week end.

There is still something i don't understand. Which one of the two should be approved first? I-130 or I-485?

Timeline
25 minutes ago, kori said:

No worries at all,

The I-130 and I-485 are usually approved together when filing concurrently. 

Timeline

Hopefully I am not slowing the process down by filing I-485 now. Oh well, I have no other choice. Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate.

Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am filing I-485 after filing I-130 in July. Do i need to add the $85 for biometrics? I think i already paid for that when filing I-130.

Thanks.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, kori said:

Hi everyone,

I am filing I-485 after filing I-130 in July. Do i need to add the $85 for biometrics? I think i already paid for that when filing I-130.

Thanks.

Hi,

You will need to include the $85.00 biometric fee with the I-485. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, kori said:

About medicals,  should we do it now and submit with the I-485 or do it later and submit it at the interview ?

Thanks

Hi,

I never did my medicals yet. I have been waiting to do them. You do not need to send the I-693 with your I-485 to file it. You will need to bring it with you to the interview though. Or mail it in if they request it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.