Peot

How long until I receive Packet 3? (K1)

14 posts in this topic

It has been about one month since NVC gave us a case number and notified us that the consulate in Montreal would be getting in touch. However, form DS-160 has been filled out and sent in only today (I was out of the country and couldn't get to a computer for that long).

Now I've also heard a lot of people just never getting a copy of the packet 3 in the mail and having to do it themselves to the point where it sounds typical.

So I have a few hopefully simple questions:

1. Does MTL only receive a case number AFTER the DS-160 is filled out? The NVC notice is worded that MTL will receive the petition and contact me, but I feel as though they still need DS-160 for case tracking).

2. Following that... I assume that https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx is the correct place to go to determine whether or not MTL receives the case. If not, what is the correct place to check case status?

3. If I see the case is received soon, how long should I wait before manually printing out Packet 3 and sending it in of my own accord?

1. Case number is assigned and provided by NVC. When your case file is sent to MTL, the case number would have already been assigned. Application of a DS-160 is not needed in order for NVC to assign a case number.
  2. That's the correct tracker for you to check the status. Upon obtaining the case number from NVC (by calling them or based on the letter that they had sent to the petitioner), check your case status by going to the link. If it says "Ready", that means your file has already arrived at MTL. If you would like to confirm that, you can contact your local embassy to confirm receipt as well as to enquire about Packet 3.
  3. I am not 100% sure with MTL, however, with my local embassy, I could send in whatever they need (such as DS-160 and interview confirmation pages) as soon as I have gotten the Packet 3 from them. Based on the online Packet 3 on MTL's website, it looks like you'd have to hear from them before submitting anything or even schedule your interview. For that, I'd say is best to enquire about Packet 3 when you contact them to confirm receipt of your case file.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

7 hours ago, KULtoATL said:
  1. Case number is assigned and provided by NVC. When your case file is sent to MTL, the case number would have already been assigned. Application of a DS-160 is not needed in order for NVC to assign a case number.
  2. That's the correct tracker for you to check the status. Upon obtaining the case number from NVC (by calling them or based on the letter that they had sent to the petitioner), check your case status by going to the link. If it says "Ready", that means your file has already arrived at MTL. If you would like to confirm that, you can contact your local embassy to confirm receipt as well as to enquire about Packet 3.
  3. I am not 100% sure with MTL, however, with my local embassy, I could send in whatever they need (such as DS-160 and interview confirmation pages) as soon as I have gotten the Packet 3 from them. Based on the online Packet 3 on MTL's website, it looks like you'd have to hear from them before submitting anything or even schedule your interview. For that, I'd say is best to enquire about Packet 3 when you contact them to confirm receipt of your case file.

That's what I had originally assumed, but the case number is not even generated until you fill out DS-160. What I mean is, the NVC case number I got does not work on that status form at all. Only the application number generated at the time I finished the DS-160 shows anything, and right now (because I just filled it out yesterday) it says "No Status".

And you're right, packet 3 is specifically a "get ready to interview" checklist. They will not schedule an interview at all until you sign the form stating that you've done your part in gathering information (for Packet 4).

Seems a bit silly waiting for a physical packet 3 when you're sending it back via email in the first place... which can be done instantly. And all it is is a checklist.. they don't ask for any evidence at that point.

Update: You were right, and I was wrong! (I'm glad I am!)

Just received the Packet 3 in the mail (Canada post) today. Came with copy of approved I129F petition and a URL to their website with Packet 3.

1 hour ago, eastcoastgroove said:

Thank you for updating!! I feel like this part of the process is taking forever so Im hoping I can send my packet 3 soon (I already tried once when it said "ready" almost 2 weeks ago but I was apparently too early).

Did you try sending in a completed packet 3 before you received it? I was tempted to do the same but literally got the email the day I posted this. Took about 2 weeks total. 

When I received packet 3, I was able to send it in the following day without issues. I have received my packet 4 already, 5 days later.

EDIT NOTE: The packet 3 only arrived via Canada Post. I accidentally said it had arrived via email.

Edited by Peot

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Peot said:

Did you try sending in a completed packet 3 before you received it? I was tempted to do the same but literally got the email the day I posted this. Took about 2 weeks total. 

When I received packet 3, I was able to send it in the following day without issues. I have received my packet 4 already, 5 days later.

EDIT NOTE: The packet 3 only arrived via Canada Post. I accidentally said it had arrived via email.

Did it take about 2 weeks from when the ceac tracker said ready?? I'm trying to gauge because I've moved since we sent our petition and I didn't want to screw around with trying to change the address incase it delayed me.  I know the person I lived with will tell me when I get mail..... But I don't know if it will be in a timely fashion. 

I tried to send my completed packet 3 when the tracker said ready (June 29). I received an email exactly a week later saying they were processing my petition and that they would let me known when it was completed and to not send my packet 3 yet or schedule an interview. It was just a generic email and I am going to try emailing my packet 3 again, but trying to find the best time lol.

21 minutes ago, eastcoastgroove said:

Did it take about 2 weeks from when the ceac tracker said ready?? I'm trying to gauge because I've moved since we sent our petition and I didn't want to screw around with trying to change the address incase it delayed me.  I know the person I lived with will tell me when I get mail..... But I don't know if it will be in a timely fashion. 

I tried to send my completed packet 3 when the tracker said ready (June 29). I received an email exactly a week later saying they were processing my petition and that they would let me known when it was completed and to not send my packet 3 yet or schedule an interview. It was just a generic email and I am going to try emailing my packet 3 again, but trying to find the best time lol.

CEAC has no bearing on packet 3. I received my packet 3 before I even sent in the DS-160. In fact, I've already received my packet 4 like I said, yet the CEAC says "no status". They haven't even filed it in the system yet!

Packet 3 was a physical document and pamphlet that I received via Canada Post. I was able to send it in after I got that information in the mail.

EDIT AGAIN!!! Sorry, I was incorrect (partially) the NVC number does show "ready" there. However, again, I did not even send in DS-160 by the time I received packet 3

Edited by Peot

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Peot said:

CEAC has no bearing on packet 3. I received my packet 3 before I even sent in the DS-160. In fact, I've already received my packet 4 like I said, yet the CEAC says "no status". They haven't even filed it in the system yet!

Packet 3 was a physical document and pamphlet that I received via Canada Post. I was able to send it in after I got that information in the mail.

EDIT AGAIN!!! Sorry, I was incorrect (partially) the NVC number does show "ready" there. However, again, I did not even send in DS-160 by the time I received packet 3

Lol ok I was confused because I know that's how other Canadians have done it in the past (waited until it said ready and then sent packet 3, instead of waiting for it in the mail).  I guess I just sent mine too early.  My fiance got our case number by email from NVC and in that email it said I could fill out the DS160, so I submitted mine awhile ago.  I will probably just try and submit packet 3 again in a few days and the worse I see happening is I get another generic "still processing" email.  I remember when I got my NOA2 in May I though I was going to have my interview by end of July 🙄😑

Just now, eastcoastgroove said:

Lol ok I was confused because I know that's how other Canadians have done it in the past (waited until it said ready and then sent packet 3, instead of waiting for it in the mail).  I guess I just sent mine too early.  My fiance got our case number by email from NVC and in that email it said I could fill out the DS160, so I submitted mine awhile ago.  I will probably just try and submit packet 3 again in a few days and the worse I see happening is I get another generic "still processing" email.  I remember when I got my NOA2 in May I though I was going to have my interview by end of July 🙄😑

Well that's why I made this thread too.... worried I would never get the physical copy. Just be patient!

Look at my Timeline (below my name and info). It took nearly a month from NVC Received to Consulate Received, and those dates are accurate.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Peot said:

Well that's why I made this thread too.... worried I would never get the physical copy. Just be patient!

Look at my Timeline (below my name and info). It took nearly a month from NVC Received to Consulate Received, and those dates are accurate.

Thank you for your help! I'm only worried since I don't live at my previous address but I messaged my old landlord and told her I am expecting mail in the next few weeks so she will be on the lookout. 

And wow, that took a long time to get there!! Mine took a little over a week, and I thought that was long!! Hope this last step goes fast for you.   

13 minutes ago, eastcoastgroove said:

Thank you for your help! I'm only worried since I don't live at my previous address but I messaged my old landlord and told her I am expecting mail in the next few weeks so she will be on the lookout. 

And wow, that took a long time to get there!! Mine took a little over a week, and I thought that was long!! Hope this last step goes fast for you.   

Well the DS-160 stage went fast. You still haven't received your packet 3, so you're in the same boat. Expect the same wait.

• 10 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance received a number from NVC but they didn't say anything about filling out DS-160. All it says is it wait and Montreal will contact me. When I put the number from NVC into CEAC it says it doesn't exist. I'm so confused about the next step. Help? 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:16 AM, Liz Bohne said:

My fiance received a number from NVC but they didn't say anything about filling out DS-160. All it says is it wait and Montreal will contact me. When I put the number from NVC into CEAC it says it doesn't exist. I'm so confused about the next step. Help? 

Should be on the email or letter that gives you the NVC number. Mine was via email.

Exact wording of the email was:

The National Visa Center (NVC) received your fiance(e)'s approved I-129F petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC will forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy in MONTREAL, CAN. The U.S. Embassy will contact your fiance(e) when they are ready to schedule a visa interview.

In the meantime, please have your fiance(e) and his or her children visit http://ceac.state.gov and complete Form DS-160, the online nonimmigrant visa application that is used for a K visa.

Note the second line.

Unless things have drastically changed, I feel that you should probably head there of your own volition and get it filled out. 

Note: It's the beneficiary that fills out the form.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.