Ishmael J.

Trouble w/ Biometric Services Appointment

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, 

My wife's visa app was approved back in early April and she entered the country for a week at the end of April and early May. She then returned to Japan as she is still wrapping things up there.

We were unaware of the Biometric Services Appointment and were expecting that a green card would just be sent in the mail. Her first BS appointment was scheduled for June 15 in Syracuse NY. As she was unable to attend I returned the letter to the office in VA before the appointment date and checked the unable to attend box.

Now I guess we are waiting for the appointment to be rescheduled? The problem is that we will both be in Japan over the summer (i.e. she is there now and I and my son are headed there this Sunday).

If we are able to receive the re-appointment letter, could we possibly take a brief trip to somewhere like the Hawaii field office and do biometrics there??

Is she in the US right now? If so you can try to do a walk in for the Biometrics. Some places take walk ins some dont.  Unfortunately you can not choose the location you want to have the biometrics done at. Its auto generated based on your address. So if the local office wont take you as a walk in you can wait until the (new) notice comes and attempt to reschedule again OR attempt a walk in at the nearest office to where you are. (Meaning you may end up flying to Hawaii and not being taken as a walk in there either;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your helpful reply. Unfortunately we are still very unsure about how to handle this situation. :(

My wife and I are both in Japan now. The fact is that we will probably not be returning to the US as main residence anytime in foreseeable future. But since we put so much time, effort and money into this process we would definitely like to go through with final step of doing the biometrics and getting Green Card.

We received a second appointment letter in the mail already. Her appointment was scheduled for July 7 again in Syracuse. She was unable to attend so I returned the letter to the Alexandra address. We are now waiting for her new appointment time. My wife will begin a new job here in Japan on August 1 and after that will have no time, presumably, to visit ASC for biometrics. 

We are debating between which of the following options and hoping someone might have some ideas:

1) take the copy of the previous appt letter to the Guam ASC and try to walk-in

2) wait for new appt letter and then take it to Guam office

3) wait for new appt letter and attend at appointed time at Syracuse office

I know that option 3 is the best but we have no idea whether her new appt will be before August 1. Is option 1 at all a possibility?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
15 hours ago, Ishmael J. said:

Thanks for your helpful reply. Unfortunately we are still very unsure about how to handle this situation. :(

My wife and I are both in Japan now. The fact is that we will probably not be returning to the US as main residence anytime in foreseeable future. But since we put so much time, effort and money into this process we would definitely like to go through with final step of doing the biometrics and getting Green Card.

We received a second appointment letter in the mail already. Her appointment was scheduled for July 7 again in Syracuse. She was unable to attend so I returned the letter to the Alexandra address. We are now waiting for her new appointment time. My wife will begin a new job here in Japan on August 1 and after that will have no time, presumably, to visit ASC for biometrics. 

We are debating between which of the following options and hoping someone might have some ideas:

I know that option 3 is the best but we have no idea whether her new appt will be before August 1. Is option 1 at all a possibility?

You also ignored the fact that there might be an interview for the green card.

But that is neither here nor there, lets get down to brass tacks. The green card is intended for people who are permanent residents INSIDE the USA, not some time in the distant future. This means that even with a green card, if she stays outside the USA for more than 6 months, she is at risk of USCIS declaring that she is no longer a USA resident and as such has abandoned her green card. Not saying it is common but the longer she stays outside the USA the more likely this becomes. She would need to maintain ties to the USA to help prevent this from happening. Right now, it sounds like she should not have even applied for a green card because she has no plans to immigrate to the USA. Sorry to be harsh, but you basically threw your money away because it seems like neither of you have any plans on being residents in the USA any time soon. So even if by some stroke of luck she was able to get it, it would end up being considered abandoned due to not being a USA resident.

Article about green card abandonment:

http://lawandborder.com/risk-abandoning-green-card-abroad-6-months/

Edited by PedroDaGr8

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
16 hours ago, Ishmael J. said:

First and foremost, congrats on your wedding. All the options you listed are not applicable in anyway. The only thing is to transfer you case to the field office closer to your new location, apply for change of address and the submit a service request for biometrics. 

Also i do not see the point in pursuing a green card for your wife if she will not be residing in USA. You should rather wait till you guys are ready to settle in America. It is harsh but the simple truth. 

Wish you best of luck in your decision.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. 

I should have provided more info. We started this process over two years ago when I was living in the US with my son and my wife was in Japan planning to live with us in the US. Just recently though, at about the same time she received her visa and entered the US for a week in late April, she took a great new job in Japan. My son and I subsequently decided to move back to Japan and we arrived here in late June. 

You're both right that we have probably wasted a great deal of time and money. But we started the process with the intention for her to immigrate to US. 

We are wishing there was a way to hold on to the Green Card even while we are here. But it looks like there is not?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ishmael J. said:

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. 

I should have provided more info. We started this process over two years ago when I was living in the US with my son and my wife was in Japan planning to live with us in the US. Just recently though, at about the same time she received her visa and entered the US for a week in late April, she took a great new job in Japan. My son and I subsequently decided to move back to Japan and we arrived here in late June. 

You're both right that we have probably wasted a great deal of time and money. But we started the process with the intention for her to immigrate to US. 

We are wishing there was a way to hold on to the Green Card even while we are here. But it looks like there is not?

Unfortunately not. A green card is intended for people who are seeking the US for permanent residence. 6 months out of the US and you've most likely lost your GC anyway. 

Probably best to call USCIS, ask for a "Tier 2 immigrations officer" and ask him for advice. 

AOS from Visa Waiver:                                                                                                                        

04/01/16....Met online playing Dota 2 

01/20/17....POE Chicago (Visa Waiver - Visitor)

06/27/17....Marriage at courthouse, IL 

07/11/17....AOS mailed 1.45pm  - I-130, I-130a, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864 X2 (for wife and joint sponsor) - Day 0

07/12/17....AOS Packet arrived at Chicago Lockbox - Day 1

07/19/17....NOA 1 Email/Texts received 11.23pm - Day 8

07/22/17....NOA 1 physical copies arrived  - Day 11

10/17/17....We Have Ordered your new card (EAD)   - Day 98

10/19/17....Card Mailed! (EAD) - Day 100

01/12/18....Scheduled For Interview (EAD) - Day 185

02/13/18....Interviewed and Approved for 2 Year GC! :jest:   - Day 217

02/14/18....We have Ordered your new card (2 Year GC)!  - Day 218

02/15/18....Card Mailed (2 Year GC)!  - Day 219

Was a stressful journey full of ups and downs, cya in 2020 VJ. I'll be back when it's time to begin the dreaded I-751. Biggest advice - make sure you have a TON of evidence, be completely honest and you'll be fine. Good luck everyone! =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.