briluke_nyla

Getting nervous

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all. I am getting extremely nervous. My interview is next week!!! For those of you not familiar with me or my case:

In november of 2004 I was given an expediated removal for lack of documentation while coming from Canada to the US. I had been living with my hubby in the states from April of 2003 until I was removed in November of 2004. I was married to my husband (USC) in July of 2003 and we have a daughter born in the U.S in May of 2004. The lack of documentation was pertaining to our marriage (we hadn't filed anything). We have a lawyer who has worked on the case, but can't come to the interview. My husband is going to attend with me. It is in Montreal.

I was given a 5 year bar.

Edited by briluke_nyla

Timeline
Hey all. I am getting extremely nervous. My interview is next week!!! For those of you not familiar with me or my case:

In november of 2004 I was given an expediated removal for lack of documentation while coming from Canada to the US. I had been living with my hubby in the states from April of 2003 until I was removed in November of 2004. I was married to my husband (USC) in July of 2003 and we have a daughter born in the U.S in May of 2004. The lack of documentation was pertaining to our marriage (we hadn't filed anything). We have a lawyer who has worked on the case, but can't come to the interview. My husband is going to attend with me. It is in Montreal.

I was given a 5 year bar.

You will be denied the visa and you will definitely have to file a I-601 waiver and probably an I-212 waiver. Has your attorney filled these out for you yet. It's good to have these done ahead of time so you can give it to the consular officer at the time of your denial.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Zyggy is correct. You will need your attorney to file one or both forms to try and get an approved waiver. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. Yes the lawyer has prepared an I-212. Not the I-601 though. He seems to think it will all be fine and that they likely won't even want the I-212.

What are the reasonings behind thinking they will deny and ask for these two things? I know that the I-212 is to remove the bar. But what is the I-601 for ? Thank you.

Timeline
Thanks for the replies. Yes the lawyer has prepared an I-212. Not the I-601 though. He seems to think it will all be fine and that they likely won't even want the I-212.

What are the reasonings behind thinking they will deny and ask for these two things? I know that the I-212 is to remove the bar. But what is the I-601 for ? Thank you.

If you have a bar, then a visa cannot be issued until a waiver of that bar is granted.

An I-601 is a waiver is for an alien is inadmissable, such as for an overstay, prior criminal record, medical issues, etc. An I-212 is a waiver that is used if the alien was deported or removed in the past. If an I-212 is required, then an I-601 is required as well as an individual who was deported is also inadmissible. The same materials get submitted with both, but it's basically an additional fee and an additional form.

Your attorney should be aware of this and should know that you would be denied. The fact that he doesn't gives me pause on his knowledge of these types of issues. You may want to look into retaining an attorney that is very familiar with waivers. An attorney named Lauren Scott is pretty well known in these circles and there have been people on this board that have used her in the past.

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Considering what Zyggy does for a job, he is giving you GREAT advice!! I would be on the phone with your lawyer asap!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I don't understand why I would need the I-601 though. I'm not an overstay and I don't have a criminal record. I entered on a visitor visa, and I never stayed for more than the 180 consecutive days allowed to Canadians. This is just so upsetting to me.

I can understand needing the I-212, but I was under the impression it wasn't a necessity...that it was sort of up to the immigration officer to decide if it was required.

Thanks again for replying to me.

Timeline
I don't understand why I would need the I-601 though. I'm not an overstay and I don't have a criminal record. I entered on a visitor visa, and I never stayed for more than the 180 consecutive days allowed to Canadians. This is just so upsetting to me.

I can understand needing the I-212, but I was under the impression it wasn't a necessity...that it was sort of up to the immigration officer to decide if it was required.

Thanks again for replying to me.

The I-601 is required for those who are inadmissible. Since you have a 5 year bar, you are inadmissible. Anyone who is inadmissible is required to file an I-601, no matter what conditions made them inadmissible. Since you apparently were removed as well, you require the additional I-212.

Edited by zyggy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our interview is getting close to and now I'm starting to freak a little, getting nervous.

I never overstayed any visas in the USA because I have never had a visa, being from Canada.

I also never worked or applied for SSN or anything else to otherwise break the law.

BUT I did spend 18 consecutive months there. They did not stamp my passport upon entry (drove, not airport) but on our I-129F we were completely honest about where I had spent the last 10 years.

Are they going to ask me to file some kind of waiver?

Thanks everyone.

Lisa

11/30/05 Mailed K1 application

12/09/05 Check Cashed (Deposit Date on Check)

12/19/05 NOA1 physically Recieved

12/15/05 NOA1 (Postmark Date)

12/05/05 NOA1 Official Recieved Date (Printed on NOA1)

12/14/05 NOA1 Official Notice Date (Printed on NOA1)

Waiting Begins for NOA2

03/09/06 NOA2physically Received

03/07/06 NOA2 (Postmark Date)

03/06/06 NOA2 Official Date (Printed on NOA2)

Never touched just Approved (Aprox 85-90 days depending on which days you count from)

3/20/06 NVC.... Received Processing

3/21/06 NVC Mailed to B.C. Consulate

3/24/06 I emailed consulate asking where is packet 3?

4/03/06 Consulate responded to my email saying packet 3 was mailed 3/23/06 and consulate attached packet 3 so I faxed DS230 and requested interview date asap

4/5/06 Medical (booked two weeks previous)

4/6/06 Consulate phoned to say received fax and booked interview

5/5/06 Interview in Vancouver - Approved!

5/9/06 Drove to Seattle then flew to Tampa - Yay welcome back 'home'

mid July - got married

early August - sent AOS/EAD applications

08/14/06 NOA for AOS/EAD

08/22/06 RFE - sent more financial info (most they already had, but we resent anyway)

09/09/06 - Biometrics

09/11/06 -NOA - transferred to California Service Center

10/16/06 - Approved without interview!!!!! Yay, what a birthday present! (but still no EAD!)

Timeline
Our interview is getting close to and now I'm starting to freak a little, getting nervous.

I never overstayed any visas in the USA because I have never had a visa, being from Canada.

I also never worked or applied for SSN or anything else to otherwise break the law.

BUT I did spend 18 consecutive months there. They did not stamp my passport upon entry (drove, not airport) but on our I-129F we were completely honest about where I had spent the last 10 years.

Thanks everyone.

Lisa

Lisa...

You did overstay as Canadians only have a 6 month period of stay. Depends when it happened... if it happened after 1997.. then yes, you have a 10 year ban on entering the US as you overstayed your 6 month period of stay as a visitor. A I-601 waiver will be required to get a visa...

Edited by zyggy

Timeline

Thanks everyone.

Lisa

Lisa...

You did overstay as Canadians only have a 6 month period of stay. Depends when it happened... if it happened after 1997.. then yes, you have a 10 year ban on entering the US as you overstayed your 6 month period of stay as a visitor. A I-601 waiver will be required to get a visa...

Yes it happened post 1997, I don't suppose it is as simple as bringing the I-160 form and filing fee to the interview and getting it approved on the spot...any ballpark figure as to how long it takes?

Waiting Begins for NOA2

Never touched just Approved (Aprox 85-90 days depending on which days you count from)

4/03/06 Consulate responded to my email saying packet 3 was mailed 3/23/06 and consulate attached packet 3 so I faxed DS230 and requested interview date asap

mid July - got married

08/14/06 NOA for AOS/EAD

08/22/06 RFE - sent more financial info (most they already had, but we resent anyway)

09/09/06 - Biometrics

10/16/06 - Approved without interview!!!!! Yay, what a birthday present! (but still no EAD!)

Filed: Timeline

A 601 waiver is a bit complicated. If you go to immigrate2us website they have a very good discussion forum regarding the 601.

I believe that 601 takes between 6mths to 1yr for approval.

Also, they can be submitted at the interview.

I am crossing my fingers that I will not need one.

Good luck

Timeline
A 601 waiver is a bit complicated. If you go to immigrate2us website they have a very good discussion forum regarding the 601.

I believe that 601 takes between 6mths to 1yr for approval.

Also, they can be submitted at the interview.

I am crossing my fingers that I will not need one.

Good luck

Thanks - I've been looking at a few sites and I'll try the one you suggest.

Good luck to you as well.

Waiting Begins for NOA2

mid July - got married

08/14/06 NOA for AOS/EAD

09/09/06 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.