Tris

Renewing passport after filing petition, before visa

7 posts in this topic

We have an appointment at USCIS Manila to file a petition next week, but will be needing to renew my spouse's passport before leaving the country.  Although her passport will still be valid maybe 8-9 months after the expected visa issue date, I think it will be easier to renew it here in her home country rather than at an embassy in the U.S. 

My plan was to file the petition and then right after apply for renewal of her passport.  It takes about 3 weeks for a passport renewal, so we'll have time to wait on the approval of the petition and also to apply for a visa, while waiting on the new passport.  Does this sound ok?  I'm worried we won't be able to renew the passport if she has already been issued the visa with her old passport.  Like maybe they put a visa stamp/sticker inside the passport.  What do you think or suggest?

🇵🇭 CR-1 via DCF in Manila 🇺🇸

10/01/11 🖇️  1'st Met Online via DIA (Date in Asia)

04/21/12 🖇️  1'st Met in Person

09/15/12 🖇️  Moved to Cebu, Philippines

07/21/16 🖇️  Married Abroad in Cebu

10/28/16 🖇️  Birth of Our Daughter in Cebu

04/21/17 🖇️  Daughters CRBA & US Passport applied for via US Consulate Cebu ($205)

05/18/17 🖇️  CFO program attended and Certificate issued (For wife to attend only) (400 php)

05/24/17 🖇️  I-130 Immigration Petition Filed at US Embassy Manila ($535 or 27,285 php)

05/25/17 🖇️  Philippine Passport renewal for wife & application for daughter via DFA (No need for appointment as children under 7 are prioritized) (1,200 php each...so 2,400 php total for both)

06/07/17 🖇️  Daughters CRBA & US Passport Arrived via courier (Scanned and emailed to USCIS Manila per request)

06/08/17 🖇️  Wife and Daughters Philippine Passports ready for pick up

06/16/17 🖇️  Email received of Approval Notice of I-130 Petition (No case # in this 1st email)

06/29/17 🖇️  Received Case # in an email, with instructions on filing DS-260, scheduling interview, & submitting mailing address for Visa delivery

06/29/17 🖇️  Filled out DS-260 ($230 I think) online and set interview appointment for 07/20/17.  Also pre-registered for medical exam at ST. Lukes (SLEC)

07/17/17 🖇️  My Wife arrived at 2:45 a.m. at St.Lukes for medical exam.  Finished in 1 day including results (16,043 php)

07/20/17 🖇️  Immigration Visa interview at US Embassy Manila. Passed and Issued (on ceac.state.gov) by the following day

07/27/17 🖇️  Passport and Visa delivered by 2GO to my house

07/28/17 🖇️  USCIS Immigration Fee (green card) paid ($220)

08/02/17 🖇️  Plane tickets bought for September 11th 2017

2 months (65 days) from petition filing to Visa in hand.  Total cost of $1,575 including daughters CRBA and US Passport (not including plane tickets & hotels in Manila)  I spent a total of $2,235 including plane tickets and hotels.  The visa agencies I looked at before starting this process, quoted me around $2,500 total, but not including my daughters CRBA and passport, plane tickets, hotels, and Philippine passports.  So in my opinion, it was well worth the journey.  It was about a 4 month journey for me  including the research and preparation before I started, but still worth it to me.  Thanks everyone here for all of the help along the way.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

If it were me, i would renew the passport  and then file the petition and not have to worry about anything once the process begins.

I would do everything possible to work program work with a fresh passport to begin with instead of going through the hassle mid process ( lot of other things to worry about mid process, a passport that is expiring is adding an unnecessary hassle in the mix).

Second option i would take is that i would let the process go on- on my old passport, immigrate and once through the POE, then send passport for renewal.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Your plan sounds fine to me. The visa will definitely be placed in the passport, so you can't renew once the visa is issued. Also, very good plan to have a "fresh" passport before moving.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

13 minutes ago, patriot10 said:

If it were me, i would renew the passport  and then file the petition and not have to worry about anything once the process begins.

I would do everything possible to work program work with a fresh passport to begin with instead of going through the hassle mid process ( lot of other things to worry about mid process, a passport that is expiring is adding an unnecessary hassle in the mix).

Second option i would take is that i would let the process go on- on my old passport, immigrate and once through the POE, then send passport for renewal.

Well I don't have time to renew now because I already have plane tickets and an appointment set.  I have been working on everything, everyday for over a month now, so other than the visa application, fees, medical checkup,and interview, I should have all forms and supporting evidence gathered already.

And I'm not sure how difficult or costly the process of renewing her passport in the US is.  That's why I was hoping to get it done here before she leaves.

10 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

Your plan sounds fine to me. The visa will definitely be placed in the passport, so you can't renew once the visa is issued. Also, very good plan to have a "fresh" passport before moving.

Ok great!  That was one of my main concerns..... would the visa be placed inside of the passport.  Thanks for the answer.  I will still try to ask the embassy if possible.  I believe USCIS and the visa section of the embassy are 2 different agencies and also I don't think the passport # will change once renewed.  So I think she will be safe.  But I just thought I'd ask here first and ask USCIS in person next week.  Thanks again.

04/21/17 🖇️  Daughters CRBA & US Passport applied for via US Consulate Cebu ($205)

05/18/17 🖇️  CFO program attended and Certificate issued (For wife to attend only) (400 php)

05/24/17 🖇️  I-130 Immigration Petition Filed at US Embassy Manila ($535 or 27,285 php)

05/25/17 🖇️  Philippine Passport renewal for wife & application for daughter via DFA (No need for appointment as children under 7 are prioritized) (1,200 php each...so 2,400 php total for both)

06/07/17 🖇️  Daughters CRBA & US Passport Arrived via courier (Scanned and emailed to USCIS Manila per request)

06/16/17 🖇️  Email received of Approval Notice of I-130 Petition (No case # in this 1st email)

06/29/17 🖇️  Received Case # in an email, with instructions on filing DS-260, scheduling interview, & submitting mailing address for Visa delivery

06/29/17 🖇️  Filled out DS-260 ($230 I think) online and set interview appointment for 07/20/17.  Also pre-registered for medical exam at ST. Lukes (SLEC)

07/17/17 🖇️  My Wife arrived at 2:45 a.m. at St.Lukes for medical exam.  Finished in 1 day including results (16,043 php)

07/20/17 🖇️  Immigration Visa interview at US Embassy Manila. Passed and Issued (on ceac.state.gov) by the following day

2 months (65 days) from petition filing to Visa in hand.  Total cost of $1,575 including daughters CRBA and US Passport (not including plane tickets & hotels in Manila)  I spent a total of $2,235 including plane tickets and hotels.  The visa agencies I looked at before starting this process, quoted me around $2,500 total, but not including my daughters CRBA and passport, plane tickets, hotels, and Philippine passports.  So in my opinion, it was well worth the journey.  It was about a 4 month journey for me  including the research and preparation before I started, but still worth it to me.  Thanks everyone here for all of the help along the way.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tris said:

Well I don't have time to renew now because I already have plane tickets and an appointment set.  I have been working on everything, everyday for over a month now, so other than the visa application, fees, medical checkup,and interview, I should have all forms and supporting evidence gathered already.

And I'm not sure how difficult or costly the process of renewing her passport in the US is.  That's why I was hoping to get it done here before she leaves.

Ok great!  That was one of my main concerns..... would the visa be placed inside of the passport.  Thanks for the answer.  I will still try to ask the embassy if possible.  I believe USCIS and the visa section of the embassy are 2 different agencies and also I don't think the passport # will change once renewed.  So I think she will be safe.  But I just thought I'd ask here first and ask USCIS in person next week.  Thanks again.

You don't even supply the passport number this early in the process, that's first when she fills out her ds260 (visa application). Anyway, good luck!

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Since you already have the appointment etc, what you can do is go ahead with it , while you are waiting for it to get approved, you can get spouse's passport renewed.

Once approval comes, you have to file the DS-260 and by this time you should have the new passport so rest of the process is completed on the new passport.

The Immigration visa is very much a regular sticker placed inside the passport. Only after you cross the POE and having paid the green card fee of $220, will you get the green card shipped to you in the US within 4 months of landing. 

Best of luck!

Thank you very much for the responses :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.