48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/18/2017 at 8:15 AM, ljroul said:

Friends, just an update for anyone who is curious. We had our interview this morning. 

I asked my lawyer about her Trump comment, and it actually wasn't in relation to border crossings. She said that under Obama, there was more leniency for immigrants regarding minor drug offenses, and that under Trump, they take it much more seriously etc. (I don't have any evidence to cite this - this is just what she told me ). This is relevant because we live in Colorado where marijuana is decriminalized under state law and she wanted to warn us that they could ask about drug use. It's not an issue as we are not drug users, but just something for anyone who lives in a decriminalized marijuana state to be aware of I suppose. 

We got into the room and the officer said she didn't need much from us and wouldn't take much time. All she asked for were our drivers licenses and my husband's completed medical. He was asked the yes/no questions from the I-485 and that was it. She said she didn't need any other evidence because our I-130 was already approved. She said she would probably be able to approve our case today. Our status was changed to "interview completed and my case must be reviewed" I am hoping we'll get the approval soon! 

Thanks for all the opinions and advice regarding this, I agree with the people who said that my lawyer was being cautious and preparing us for the worst, in my opinion, she took it too far and ended up making us way more nervous than we needed to be. Not only did the officer not ask us about drug use, or the border crossing, she didn't even ask about our relationship! I was not actually asked any questions at all, the whole thing took about 5 minutes. Relieved that it's over!

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  It is SO nice to hear when cases go smoothly and honestly, I feel like most people don't have much to worry about if their relationship is real and has been ongoing for at least a year or two.

My fiance and I are in the same boat as you (except I'm the Canadian and he's the USC).  We haven't even tied the knot yet (two weeks, eek!) and I've already like read every single post and thread here about similar experiences.  I'm trying not to lose too much hair over this but I'll be SO relieved when it's all over.  It actually really helps knowing that your case went super smoothly.  Congratulations again!!! :D:D:D 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats and thanks for the updates. I do think ur lawyer was crazy and made u paranoid for nothing. I knew it would be a breeze, like stated before. Secondly, obama or Trump it doesn't matter their is always a NO DRUG clause so whether ur in Colorado or California or Texas because it isn't FEDERALLY regulated u can't do drugs or get caught with any.  Thankfully u can move on and not deal w ur c rszy lawyer again ha  

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, skim00 said:

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  It is SO nice to hear when cases go smoothly and honestly, I feel like most people don't have much to worry about if their relationship is real and has been ongoing for at least a year or two.

My fiance and I are in the same boat as you (except I'm the Canadian and he's the USC).  We haven't even tied the knot yet (two weeks, eek!) and I've already like read every single post and thread here about similar experiences.  I'm trying not to lose too much hair over this but I'll be SO relieved when it's all over.  It actually really helps knowing that your case went super smoothly.  Congratulations again!!! :D:D:D 

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! And the best advice I can give being on the other end of this long and arduous process, whether you're Canadian or not, is to be prepared, but not to stress or worry excessively. I am 100% guilty of worrying too much, and people kept telling me that because he's a Canadian that i didn't have anything to worry about - while that's not entirely true (Canadians run into trouble too) the vast majority immigrate with no issues. I was shocked at how simple and easy our interview was, and I had never even heard of an AOS interview being that easy. We were approved the same day! Best of luck to you and your soon-to-be husband!

USCIS Process

December 2005 - Met online

August 2015 - Met in person

November 27, 2015 - Married <3

1-8-16: Filed I-130

5-13-16: I-130 Approved

9-20-2016: Mailed AOS Docs (I-485/I-765/I-131)

9-22-2016: AOS Docs received

9-30-2016: NOA

10-21-16: RFI for I-864 (Affidavit of Support)

10-25-16: Biometrics

10-31-16: RFI response mailed

11-4-16: RFI response received

12-2-16: EAD in process

12-8-16: EAD in hand

5-18-17: Interview (238 days from filing)

5-18-17: Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.