ya falaha!

How well does your SO speak and use your language?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
He always says...."did you catch my message" instead of "did you get my message"

and instead of "I want to hug you" its "I want to take you in my huge"

:P

yup.. I get the "Take you in my Hug" too.. :D

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I met Mo he spoke 3 languages english french and arabic...now he speaks 4 english french arabic and southern!!! I think my accent is thicker than his lol. He has trouble with some words but honestly I believe this is because I say them so far from "normal" english. However when my mom talks to him online or my kids they are always saying what huh. The ear has to be trained I guess to listen to a certain accent...case in point I work for Windstream and we provide service for Sugarland Texas. People pass those poor people from person to person because they say they cant understand them, they get to me and Ive taken care of their issue in about 3 minutes. Well that was really off the subject huh? :blink:

capture1-1.jpg

Picture114-1.jpg

Our Timeline

Sent I-129 f to csc on Dec 23,2006

Received Dec 26th

NOA1 Jan 3,2007

Check cashed Jan 5,2007

Touched Jan 13,2007

Touched May 15,2007

Touched July 17,2007

Touched July 18,2007

Touched July 20,2007

Touched July 22,2007

Touched Aug 12,2007

Touched Aug 13,2007

Touched Aug 14,2007

Touched Aug 15,2007

Touched Aug 22,2007

NOA2!!! Oct 31,2007

Case forwarded to Casa Nov 19, 2007

Interview Feb 6.2008

APPROVAL!!!

AP......now we wait

11-08-08 arrived in Atlanta

11-20-08 MARRIED!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband speaks English very well, and writes it even better. Sometimes he uses words in English that I am not sure of the meaning of. LOL At other times he does not know the English word that the Arabic word translates into. Sunglasses for instance, and jeans. It took me a while to understand what he was talking about. Have you ever played charades onine? LOL What I think is really cute is when he tells me he misses me. It comes out as two words instead of one. I miss ed you honey. LOL The first time we met in person, he told me "I can understand every word you say honey, but you must speak slower." I never thought I talked fast in the first place, but try to slow down when we are talking now. I also find myself paying closer attention to my pronounciation of my words.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My man speaks english very well. His father speaks well though, he's lived in Germany and used to work as an engineer. He makes grammatical errors when writing, but that's to be expected. I just love his accent though when he speaks english. :devil:

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Khallids english in great! There has only been a few times he pronounces something a bit different, but of course I think it's cute! He actually taught to english speaking students in a couple of the international schools in Egypt. His father taught him most of his english, then he took a few couses to brush up on it. He and one of his sisters are the only ones that speak english in his family now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My fiance is fluent in English though he usually spells some things wrong...depends on how tired he is...though sometimes the way he spells things cracks me up. We met in high school when he was here before, so when we first met he didn't speak much (but he had taken it in school in Egypt since he was very young), but by the time he graduated we would talk for hours on the phone.

Ok, so we still talk for hours, just now it's a lot more expensive :)

I'm starting to learn Arabic but I only pick up a few words here and there, mostly numbers or days of the week. He is still amazed that I would bother learning it but I told him if we're going to make our children multi-lingual then it's best that I learn it too. (We've decided to teach them the obvious two, English and Arabic, but then he wants to teach them French, and I want to teach them German...and we agreed that they can take Spanish in school since neither one of us has a clue! haha)

Divorced. To hell with him.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
lol i get slack for saying put it on the cow-ner (instead of counTer) or budder (buTTer). or the most favorite on to pick on me about

buh -ins (buttons)

:lol:

Omar asked me if the letter T is forbidden because we only seem to say it if it's at the beginning of a word!

What's wrong with the cow-ner? :unsure: I have one of those!! :lol:

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just to test the waters I tried saying "whatever" tonight.

Yeah.

Won't be doin' THAT anytime soon!!! :blink:

The response was IMMEDIATE and he said, "whatever? I dunnot matter now? U do not care????!!! How can you say this word, 'whatever' to me?????!!!!??????"

Apparently he knows what that term means. :blush:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Timeline

Moh speaks very good English and his vocabulary has been growing rapidly since I met him over 3 years ago. He is self taught. Reading he does well with but struggles a bit with comprehension and writing is coming along. I've noticed the only people who fail to understand him are those who approach him as a "foreigner". I think the mindset is already there... "I ain't gonna understand this ferriner." (yeah, I still have a bit of an attitude...)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

LOL :devil: I thought my husband was going to come here and read english like he talks. He really speaks english well. When I first met him, it sucked. Now it's good, he learned a lot from me waiting for his visa. Now reading is another story. He's taken the driver's license exam 6 times and passed the written on the 6th time which was a miracle. But he failed the road test, lol because he can't read some signs. Not gooooooooooooooood!

Andrea

Andrea Infante

I130

Married August 30, 2005 in Amman Jordan (Zarqa)

Filed I130 September 19

Noa1 receipt September 29 File sent from Nebraska to California branch.

I130 under review/investigation.

I129F (K3)

Sent 129F on 10/19/05 to Chicago.

Received Noa1 11/3/05 from Missouri

Received Noa2and Approved I129F.

National Visa letter saying file moved to Amman. Was completed and sent on 12/16/05.

Received packet from embassy at my attorney's January 15, 2006

Packet mailed to my husband on January 22, 2006

Packet received by embassy on February 5, 2006.

Embassy called in April and set the interview date for August 23, 2006

Embassy called on 7-25 and asked Faisal to interview on 7-26 (nervous wreck but prepared)

7-26-06 Faisal is approved for K3 Visa

8-24-06, Faisal arrives at O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!

EAD filed in middle of September, 2006 approved in middle of October, 2006 and husband working

at end of October, 2006!

AOS I485

5-2-07- Noa1 on AOS

5-18-07-fingerprinting completed

5-25-07-letter received from USCIS from Missouri asking for proof of income from cosponsor.

AOS INTERVIEW SET FOR SEPTEMBER 5, 2007 IN CHICAGO

LOL :devil: I thought my husband was going to come here and read english like he talks. He really speaks english well. When I first met him, it sucked. Now it's good, he learned a lot from me waiting for his visa. Now reading is another story. He's taken the driver's license exam 6 times and passed the written on the 6th time which was a miracle. But he failed the road test, lol because he can't read some signs. Not gooooooooooooooood!

Andrea

Moh is struggling with this too. He has one try left. He tried taking the test in Arabic but its in gulf dialect and he doesn't understand all of those words either. He's so frustrated and I wish there was something I could do. We just keep studying online drivers tests in hopes we can catch all the words he needs to be sure he understands.

• 5 weeks later...

My husband's English is about 75%. It's weird, but all of the bigger words like "production", "consumption", "dictatorship", "opportunity", etc. are part of his vocabulary, but smaller, more common words like "chance", "forest", "odd", etc. he has never heard.

Overall, he improves every day. He speaks better English than anyone in his family, his grammar is awesome (sometimes we play the "speak, spoke, spoken: see, saw, seen" game and he passes 99%) and he writes and reads very well.

He makes some mistakes (like CATCH THIS! instead of HOLD THIS!), but he knows the right word. Sometimes he translates from Arabic to English directly without adjusting his words. But, he self-corrects and I don't have to do much except practice with him.

He has a long way to go to be able to attend univ in USA, but that is one of our goals!

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

my husband speaks english really well. since we talk every single day on the phone, his accent is starting to mellow.

mny husband does mix his words.. its really cute.

he calls a Lady < She- Lady >

he refers to a man as < He-Man >

example

the she-lady told to the he-man.. blah blah.. lol

the other favorite word of the day is

Volkswagon.

he mixes the V and the W

so we end up with

WolksVagon..lol so cute..

shon.gif

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Idir has commented that she has problems with listening with some american accents- esp those that tend to drop a lot of letters when speaking.

Wadi always gives me a hard time about not pronouncing the letter 't' unless it's at the beginning of a word. I never really realized that I do that. :blush: To my credit though, I do say my 'r's, even though I am from Boston. :)

Wadi's english when he came was limited to a few phrases - very beginner level. Now he's really progressed a lot. I mean, now I can leave him alone with my family and not be worried that they can't communicate. He does a pretty good job reading too. We're working on expanding his vocabulary.

Oh my goodness, I thought my husband was the only one who noticed we don't use the letter "t"...LOLOLOL!!! I never realized that I did that until my husband started teasing me about it. He always mocks me.."Bill Clin'on was in Manha'an"..."We need a new en'ertainment cen'er"...

Anyway, my husband is fully fluent in English...his undergraduate and graduate degrees were both taught completely in English...he also got his grad. degree in Europe where everyone spoke English. He reads and writes fluently and did his entire thesis in English. So, alhamdulilah for us this is not an issue...I wish my Arabic was half as good as his English!

Of course there will always be his Arab moments..we "close" lights in our home instead of turning them off...and every now and then he says "I wish if we could do such and such.."

Me: USC DH: Egyptian Citizen

Together we have a beautiful son, born on Christmas day 2007

Filing DCF (IR-1) from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:

July 30, 2008 - Filed I-130 at Riyadh Embassy

August 3, 2008 - I-130 Approved

The embassy let us delay the interview so that my husband would have time to finish his work contract.

November 3, 2008 - Final Interview, APPROVED!!!

The embassy let us wait until late January to submit the passport for the visa so that DH could finish his work contract.

February 9, 2009 - VISA IN PASSPORT!!! (DH's birthdate wrong on visa, embassy keeps it for correction - gah!!!)

February 15, 2009 - CORRECTED VISA IN PASSPORT!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

OOOhhhh...and let's not forget that things are "imbossible"...and we drink "bebsi"...and type on "combuters"...

And it's difficult sometimes when he knows the REAL meaning of the word but not the actual way it is used in America...one time I told him he was being "silly" (I meant it in a sweet way, like silly baby, etc) and he got offended. He said "you shouldn't call your husband stupid"...I tried to explain that silly was not stupid at all, but he kept showing me that in a dictionary silly means stupid...lol.

Me: USC DH: Egyptian Citizen

Together we have a beautiful son, born on Christmas day 2007

Filing DCF (IR-1) from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:

July 30, 2008 - Filed I-130 at Riyadh Embassy

August 3, 2008 - I-130 Approved

The embassy let us delay the interview so that my husband would have time to finish his work contract.

November 3, 2008 - Final Interview, APPROVED!!!

The embassy let us wait until late January to submit the passport for the visa so that DH could finish his work contract.

February 9, 2009 - VISA IN PASSPORT!!! (DH's birthdate wrong on visa, embassy keeps it for correction - gah!!!)

February 15, 2009 - CORRECTED VISA IN PASSPORT!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.