Frustrated74

Wait time for interview in Sydney

7 posts in this topic

I've just had my case complete this week for CR1. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to schedule an interview in Sydney? I just read that they only do visa interviews on Tuesdays mornings. That severely limits the chance of getting one for June I would imagine. Fingers crossed not many other Aussies are moving to the US the same time as me😜

*~*~*moved from "IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa" to "Australia" regional discussion as country-specific question*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, JupiterTam said:

Hey Frustrated, 

How did you go ?  We were case complete May 25 and still no interview date.  every day that passes makes us more bewildered.  the NVC operators keep telling us it's a normal wait time not to worry, but....

Looking at Frustated74's timeline, Case Complete on 2017-05-05, interview on 2017-06-06 (32 days) http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=258005

Our timeline, Case Complete on on 2017-07-03, interview on 2017-08-01 (29 days) http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=246494

Since your case was complete on 2017-05-22, you are getting a longer than usual delay in getting your appointment date. Unusual and annoying, but does not necessarily mean anything either.

Since NVC insists that this is normal, I suggest you email the Sydney Consulate via support-australia@ustraveldocs.com to inquire indicating that other Australians usually get their interview date in 1 month and it has been 3 months for you. You can also collect all the necessary documents (originals and a copy) as indicated on the Document Cover Sheet https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/family-based-immigration/the-interview/ while waiting to get ready for the interview. You can even get your medical exam done (valid for one year) even though the general advice is to wait. Sometimes you need to be doing something rather than just waiting.

You can read my review of Sydney consulate and the reasons of the four people whose visa was delayed at http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=246494

Good luck,

Yip

Thanks for your detailed response Yip!!  

Yes we have all our ducks in line for the interview.  Just waiiiiiiiiting...........     the situation is apparently a large influx in CR1 applications to fill the available appointment slots in the sydney consulate, according to one of my more fruitful calls to the NVC.  very frustrating.  I'll email also as it couldn't hurt, i suppose.  Or could it??? that is the question.  

all the best

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Yip and all,

well, we got an interview date finally. we're happy but also frustrated it took so long. it is scheduled for a date that is 4 months after case completion at NVC, which seems long for Sydney Consulate compared with data on visajourney. I have a feeling our file was sitting in the wrong inbox on someone's computer, but I have no evidence for that and we'll never really know.  In our weekly call to the NVC, they repeatedly said they were just waiting for an interview slot at the consulate. Last week, I took Yip's advice and sent a very polite email the consulate, asking if our wait time was unusual. The response was "this is a normal wait time." BUT 3 days later, we received our email from NVC with the interview date. Could be a coincidence, or I guess it could be that our email triggered some kind of correction behind the scenes... who knows.  My advice to anyone in the same position is to send that email to the consulate earlier, even though it is supposed to have no effect, as the scheduling is technically in NVC's hands.

Two further questions for Yip:

1. I see you got your passport back 2 days after your successful interview, and you flew to the US two days later. Did you actually wait until you received the passport and paperwork and only then booked your flights? 

2. we are also using assets to support the I-864.  just wondering, were they keen to see originals of all the evidence of assets ? like original bank statements and original property deeds?

thanks all

On 8/24/2017 at 2:24 PM, JupiterTam said:

Two further questions for Yip:

1. I see you got your passport back 2 days after your successful interview, and you flew to the US two days later. Did you actually wait until you received the passport and paperwork and only then booked your flights? 

2. we are also using assets to support the I-864.  just wondering, were they keen to see originals of all the evidence of assets ? like original bank statements and original property deeds?

thanks all

1. I waited to receive the passport before booking flights. A simple mis-delivery by express post would have meant that the delivery would have shifted from Friday to Monday, so did not want to risk booking a flight. I was tracking the platinum express post and it was still showing as not received by Australia Post on Thursday night, so I thought Australia Post would get it on Friday and then deliver it on Monday. Suddenly online-tracking on Friday changed to indicate that the delivery will be on Friday. Not sure if it got received and delivered the same day or Australia Post did not record it had received it.

2. Had printout of online statements from bank, copies of house title and other properties. I was not asked for the originals, but I did have them with me.

I entered US via LAX on 2017-08-05 and received my actual greencard via postal mail on 2017-08-22. CBP said it could take up to 6 months, but it was quick to arrive.

Good luck with the interview and future adventures.

Yip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.