Coco&Kitten

Our experience from DCF in Madrid

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi all,

I just want to share our great experience from filing our I-130 in Madrid embassy last week. I had asked many questions in this forum and some of them were solved, so I want to share the information I was able to get from this experience.

My husband (the USC) had called the embassy in advance and they told him to go ahead and file the I-130 in person. So, we made the trip (about 550 km from where we live) which was not a problem because we also took a small vacation at the same time taking advantage of the "Semana Santa" (Holy week) in Spain :yes:

We arrived there early in the morning and we were the second ones in the cue. The lady at the desk was really nice to us, apparently we brought all the documents (originals and copies) and she checked them all. I want to emphasize that in our case (and I had asked this question in the forum previously) we DID NOT need Apostilles or even a translation for spanish documents. This was a surprise, since I was going to send the marriage certificate and all the other spanish documents for translation to a certified translator, but apparently it is not necessary! That was good news! Then, she said the vice Consul was going to interview my husband and that lasted 5 minutes, typical questions where me met, what we do for work, etc. The interviews are in front of a glass window since all the employes are on the other side (that was a little bit ackward, I was not used to this, usually I imagine an interview taking place in an office and sitting on a chair... :star: ). Anyway, the interview went well and the consul said it was moreless approved, they just needed to send the background check for my husband to the Rome USCIS, which should not take long and it is done through e-mail.

Afterwards, we went back to the lady we gave the documents and she gave us a package with the DS-230 form (part I) and all the other necessary documents that we have to collect and check out. Is this package 3? She told us to send them a form once we are ready and they wil schedule the interview. Wow, I guess we were not ready for this going so fast. We had planned to move to the US sometime in December or Jan 2008. Apparently it seems to be taking only 2 months the DCF in Madrid! I have to get some more documents yet, and fill out the affidavit of support, so I guess we can just take our time and not estress.

I hope our experience can be of some use to those of you who might file in Madrid or in a similar embassy. And I am sure I will have more questions to post as the process continues... I realize this is just the beginning...

Kitten

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Congratulations! :thumbs:

James (USA) Manuela (Italy)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_italy_2fawm.gif

Married Nov. 6, 2004

12/02/04 Applied for I-130

12/21/04 I-130 Approved (19 days @ Vermont)

03/24/05 Case Completed (84 days @ NVC)

05/09/05 Got CR-1 Visa (47 days @ Naples)

Total of 158 days

Lifting of Conditions I-751

04/02/07 Expressed mailed in I-130

04/03/07 I-751 received at 1:08pm and signed for by Paul E. Novak Jr. Center Director (day 1)

05/02/07 Check finally clears my bank - appears to have been processed on 4/30 by VSC (day 30)

05/04/07 Received BLUE Finger Print Receipt Notification (day 32)

05/17/07 Received NOA1 dated 5/9/07(day 45)

05/18/07 Received ASC Appointment Notice dated 5/14/07 for June 1st (day 46)

06/01/07 Biometric Appointment today @ 2:00 (day 60)

06/03/07 "Touched" (day 62)

10/26/07 "Card Production Ordered" (217 days from the day the application received and 172 days from NOA1)

10/30/07 Touched again

10/31/07 Received Notice of Removal of Conditional Basis of Lawful Permanent Residence letter, signed by Paul E Novak Jr.

10/31/07 Touched again - if we get touched again does that count as harassment?

11/05/07 10 year green card arrives! (227 days)

US Citizen N-400

03/12/08 To be filed!

dev179pr___.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you for putting down your experience. I am going to file in Madrid as well after we get married, hopefully in May. I´ve been looking into all the documents we need so there are no unnecessary delays, especially after the whole Adam Walsh thing. I´m so relieved to hear that the process is still about two months because I will leave in July and my boyfriend planned on leaving in October.

My problem is that I don´t have a visa here, but the embassy told me that just proving 6 months residency such as apartment contract and certificate of empadronamiento will do. Right now, I´m looking into the tax forms because I haven´t filed since maybe three years ago. I´ve lived here a little more than two years, and last year I didn´t make more than $8000 like it stipulates on the 1080 instructions. However, since I´ve been working "under the table" as a telemarketer and English teacher I´m not sure if that would mean I´m self-employed and would still have to file regardless. Obviously, my joint sponsor will be my parents, in particular my father. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to how I should go about this?

I look forward to hearing how everything goes for you. Good luck!

Sonia

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Felicidades! Great report!!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.