8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Guys,

I would like to seek your opinion about the changed of name in Birth Certificate. I have completely different name in birth certificate which is Mary Joyce but mom has already fixed it and changed the name in legal way 3 years ago. However, I am just wondering if the interviewer will question about it since I am using different name since I went to school. Fast forward, I had already obtained SSS, NBI, Police clearance using different name. I am just wondering if interviewer will question how did obtain those requirements above before using different name. I dunno, it's just hypothetical situation in case they'll ask me about it. I am a bit worried. :) 

Plus, I would like to know what are requirements should I bring on interview with this BC name changed. Should I get two copies of NBI, Police clearance, Cenomar that reflect my two names, one name each copy?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. ♥♥♥

Thank you in advance. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Joana/Daniel said:

Hello Guys,

I would like to seek your opinion about the changed of name in Birth Certificate. I have completely different name in birth certificate which is Mary Joyce but mom has already fixed it and changed the name in legal way 3 years ago. However, I am just wondering if the interviewer will question about it since I am using different name since I went to school. Fast forward, I had already obtained SSS, NBI, Police clearance using different name. I am just wondering if interviewer will question how did obtain those requirements above before using different name. I dunno, it's just hypothetical situation in case they'll ask me about it. I am a bit worried. :) 

Plus, I would like to know what are requirements should I bring on interview with this BC name changed. Should I get two copies of NBI, Police clearance, Cenomar that reflect my two names, one name each copy?

Thank you in advance. 

I'm not sure I'm understanding the scenario. Has the name on your birth certificate been changed? Why does your other legal documents (SSS, NBI, Police clearance) still reflect a different name if your mother has corrected your name on your birth certificate?

The birth certificate is the primary document of identity. All other documents must follow the name on the birth certificate.

Edited by notantifun

Timeline
14 hours ago, Joana/Daniel said:

Hello Guys,

Thank you in advance. 

Hi! Does your PH passport match the name on your BC? They will possibly ask you about it, but as long as your passport and BC exactly match, and you have all documentation showing there was a legal name change, then you have nothing to worry about. If you submitted anything under your former name, they might ask you, just be honest about it. But also you have to include in your NBI Clearance all the names that you used including nicknames. I have the same issue, only mine was that I found out 34 years too late that I wasn't legally adopted and that the name I am using is not my birth name. But instead of going to the court to process legal adoption to use the name I've grown up using, I was advised by the lawyer to change all government and school records and use my birth name instead, thus being able to get a passport the same as my BC. But my NBI clearance reflects two of my names. The former and the current. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by K&M's Journey

Timeline
22 hours ago, notantifun said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding the scenario. Has the name on your birth certificate been changed? Why does your other legal documents (SSS, NBI, Police clearance) still reflect a different name if your mother has corrected your name on your birth certificate?

The birth certificate is the primary document of identity. All other documents must follow the name on the birth certificate.

Hello, I'm sorry if it may seem confusing. :) The name in SSS, NBI and Police clearance is the name that I am using right now which is Joana but in BC it is Mary Joyce. But it was already corrected and the correction name is place on the side of BC. I was wondering if they'll going to ask  about how did I obtained this requirements before because you know some of government requirements they need BC before you acquire it, right?  I am already thinking about it because I don't want to be caught off in guard for unexpected question. hehe!

Thank you.

Timeline
9 hours ago, K&M's Journey said:

Hi! Does your PH passport match the name on your BC? They will possibly ask you about it, but as long as your passport and BC exactly match, and you have all documentation showing there was a legal name change, then you have nothing to worry about. If you submitted anything under your former name, they might ask you, just be honest about it. But also you have to include in your NBI Clearance all the names that you used including nicknames. I have the same issue, only mine was that I found out 34 years too late that I wasn't legally adopted and that the name I am using is not my birth name. But instead of going to the court to process legal adoption to use the name I've grown up using, I was advised by the lawyer to change all government and school records and use my birth name instead, thus being able to get a passport the same as my BC. But my NBI clearance reflects two of my names. The former and the current. Hope this helps. :)

Yes, it matched po. I got passport the time that my mom already fixed my birth certificate. However, at first glance you may not notice the name correction at the side of BC because that's where they put the corrected name. Thank you so much I really appreciate your help! I am just too excited to get the approval of NOA2. Anticipating this week or next week. So as early as now, I am doing some research. :) Thank you ♥

Timeline
4 hours ago, Joana/Daniel said:

Yes, it matched po. I got passport the time that my mom already fixed my birth certificate. However, at first glance you may not notice the name correction at the side of BC because that's where they put the corrected name. Thank you so much I really appreciate your help! I am just too excited to get the approval of NOA2. Anticipating this week or next week. So as early as now, I am doing some research. :) Thank you ♥

Glad I was able to help. We just got an RFE letter but it's only because we missed answering a question on page 5 of the I-129F. My fiance, Kevin is sending back the reply as soon as he can. Hopefully, the next time we hear from USCIS is because we got approved. Good luck to you and your fiance. All the best. :)

Timeline
On 4/28/2017 at 5:46 AM, Joana/Daniel said:

Hello, I'm sorry if it may seem confusing. :) The name in SSS, NBI and Police clearance is the name that I am using right now which is Joana but in BC it is Mary Joyce. But it was already corrected and the correction name is place on the side of BC. I was wondering if they'll going to ask  about how did I obtained this requirements before because you know some of government requirements they need BC before you acquire it, right?  I am already thinking about it because I don't want to be caught off in guard for unexpected question. hehe!

Thank you.

As far as I know, as long as you have the annotated Birth certificate from PSA(NSO) you'll be fine. Legal way which means you filed a motion in court to change your name. Only court can do that. The annotated birth certificate will link your old name to your new name.

Timeline
On 4/27/2017 at 6:20 AM, Joana/Daniel said:

Thank you in advance. 

Yes, I read somewhere that you need clearances on both names. Better be safe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.