trailmix

Fingerprints or Not for Police Check

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I apologize in advance as I am SURE this is a duplicate question that has been asked over and over, but I can't find the answer!

I am the U.S./Canadian Citizen, sponsoring my Husband (who is Australian - we live in Canada).

From what I have been reading, he will need 2 police checks (Australia and Canada). Here are my questions:

1. For the Canadian police check, can we just do this locally, in Calgary, and do we require the fingerprint version or just the name check version (or is this something they tell you when they send you one of the packages?).

2. For the Australian police check - fingerprints or not?

Both of these take a while so I'm just thinking we could get these now perhaps.

Thanks!

Timeline

Canadian Police check in Calgary should be easy enough to get if ur in Calgary!! Local police or the RCMP should be able to do that, ensure it is a CANADA WIDE background check. Some give the document to u right there, some take take a few days, some charge a fee, some its free. usually a very easy document to get!! No criminal record, no fingerprints required for Canada!!, No clue on Australia. The Canadian police check is good for 1 year for Montreal (where al Cr-1/IR-1) interviews are held

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

hi ya

for the australian police check it is fingerprinting and it has to be a national one for immigrant visa's

take a look at this link on the australian embassey site

AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL POLICE CHECKS

also there was another couple Marina & Dave from the UK but australian husband..they went through exactly this and ended up getting fingerprints done on card sending it over to his mother to get his police check done..i dont know how that went but go to the members icon and put their name in and look up some of their posts about it..

good luck

kath

ps just went and found the person post about police checks..

some more answers about overseas australians and police checks

Edited by Kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My understanding is that you only need a fingerprint search if your fingerprints are already in the system (due to a past arrest, etc), otherwise a name search should be sufficient.

I am also an Aussie living in Canada. When the time comes, I will be requesting a name search only for Australia. It will cost you about AUD$36.

Removal of Conditions I-751

07.23.2018 Sent I-751 Priority Express to CSC (California)

08.02.2018 18 month Green Card extension letter

07.16.2019 Biometrics complete

09.04.2019 Case transferred to Lee's Summit, MO (NBC)

03.22.2021 New card in production

03.23.2021 I-751 approval notice (without interview)

03.27.2021 10-year green card received

N400 Naturalization Application

07.22.2019 Online application; USCIS estimated completion Sept 2020

07.31.2019 Biometrics complete

12.18.2020 Contacted State Senator (I-751 pending for more than 2 years)

05.10.2021 Interview  - recommended for approval

06.03.2021 Oath day...finally done!!

hi cdn

sorry about ya luck mate but you have to have full set of fingerprints done for the australian police check ...

all australian's that have gone through this immigration process has done it...

take care

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Timeline

I wonder if the fingerprint issue is Consulate specific??? It is correct that the US Consulate in Australia requires fingerprints, but I don't believe Montreal does - and you would be going through Montreal. Hmmm...will have to look into this further.

Timeline

Hmmm, If one requests the RCMP to do a background check, BUT they are residing outside of Canada, doesn't the RCMP then require fingerprinting??? Thought I read that on VJ or on the RCMP.ca website, so that may be the cause if you are residing outside Australia?? Again no hard facts to back this up, just throwing it out there. One could always email Mtl and see what they have to say (not always good info, but at least u have a paper copy on what they replied!!)

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thanks Kath for sending me a note!

Well there is a choice really - police information check and/or fingerprinting. He doesn't have a criminal record, in either place, so I don't know that it is a huge issue.

I would love to email Montreal and find out - what is the contact email address?

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

Timeline

So I emailed the Consulate in Montreal asking whether fingerprinting is required for the Australian and/or Canadian Security checks - no they are not, according to them:

"Good morning,

The “Name check” version is acceptable. Fingerprints aren’t required.

Thank you"

Which is good!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
So I emailed the Consulate in Montreal asking whether fingerprinting is required for the Australian and/or Canadian Security checks - no they are not, according to them:

I second that - just received an email reply from Montreal today. Unless there is a name match for criminal activity in Australia, a name search is all that is required. Fingerprints are NOT required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.