cazzers

N-400 April 2017 Filers

1,178 posts in this topic

Good Morning - I received my update on 9/1 that my interview had been scheduled and to wait for the letter which has been mailed to me.

I still haven't received the letter advising when the interview actually is, and today is 12 days since I got the online notification/update.

Any idea how long before the letter usually arrives? I thought this took about a week?

Presumably if I don't get the letter this week I should call?

Appreciate the help.

Naturalization

04/03/2017 N-400 Filed

04/04/2017:Received Lewisville, TX lockbox via UPS

04/15/2017 Credit card charged

05/15/2017 NOA Received 

05/19/2017:Biometric appointment

06/01/2017 Inline for interview

10/12/2017 Interview appointment

12/14/2017 Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Interview letter received in the mail. Oct. 11th. Can someone please let me know what documents are required. they have sent the list but my N400 is based on approved VAWA. I have the divorce decree, tax returns etc but i don't think i have my ex wife birth certificate. Is that still required? I have updated the spread sheet. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 hours ago, Hagrid said:

Not a good thing. You could be denied if you even make it to the interview, if they don't reject the case before that when they find out. The USCIS is very clear regarding the requirements on their website:

"Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately before the date you file Form N-400."

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/learn-about-naturalization

Maybe you should give them a call, don't waste time waiting for an interview and just withdraw the case and file again as soon as you meet the 30 month requirement. So those extra months instead of waiting for an interview that might not turn out well with the current filed case, you can rest assure you are waiting for an interview that will go out great once you file and meet that requirement.

Hi Hagrid

I plan on not appearing for the interview. It seems like my application will be closed administratively. It can be opened again within a year upon my request without additional fee. The good thing is that date to request to open the administratively closed file will be the date of filing for eligibility purposes. Please see below and see if my interpretation is correct.

§ Sec. 335.6 Failure to appear for examination. (Section added 9/24/93, 58 FR 49914)

(a) An applicant for naturalization shall be deemed to have abandoned his or her application if he or she fails to appear for the examination pursuant to § 335.3 and fails to notify USCIS of the reason for non-appearance within 30 days of the scheduled examination. Such notification shall be in writing and contain a request for rescheduling of the examination. In the absence of a timely notification, USCIS may administratively close the application without making a decision on the merits. (Amended effective 11/28/2011, 76 FR 53764)
(b) An applicant may reopen an administratively closed application by submitting a written request to USCIS within one (1) year from the date the application was closed. Such reopening shall be without additional fee. The date of the request for reopening shall be the date of filing of the application for purposes of determining eligibility for naturalization. (Amended effective 11/28/2011, 76 FR 53764)
(c) If the applicant does not request reopening of an administratively closed application within one year from the date the application was closed, USCIS will consider that application to have been abandoned, and shall dismiss the application without further notice to the applicant. (Amended effective 11/28/2011, 76 FR 53764)

I'm back from my interview. It went well but I still got hit with the "A decision cannot yet be made about your application". Interviewing officer was very professional and friendly. I did the usual swearing in and then she proceeded to go through all the questions on my application. She paused between a few questions to ask following questions but no big deal. She was hinting at approval even before I took the civics test. She ask if I brought two passport sized photos. I didn't...she advised me to walk with them for the oath (had not taken civics test yet). She then proceeding to the reading and writing test (see below).

I was asked to read the second of three questions:

Read: What country is north of America?
Write: (on line 2) Canada is north of America.

We then moved on to the civics test. Here are the questions (may not be in order).

Why did the colonist fight the British?
Who makes federal laws?
What is the highest court in the United States?
Who is the vice president?
How many amendments are there to the Constitution?
What group of people were taken to America and sold as slaves?

I answered the first six questions correctly. I got a "congratulations, I'll be recommending you for citizenship". I was super excited. I thank her. I didn't look at Form N-652 till I was well on my way home. That's when I saw that "decision cannot be made". I'm not going to sweat this yet. I've seen many post on this with people in similar situations and it works out. From what I've been reading I think this delaying in recommendation for citizenship has to do with seniority. I'm not saying a younger person can't be a superior but my interviewing officer seemed very young. 

Over experience was good. Actual interview was great. I'd brought a lot of documents but she was only interested in recent bank statements (post removal of conditions) and my passports (valid and expired). 

Actual interview took less than 10 mins.

Will be back later...gonna go catch some zs.

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

15 hours ago, St.James-One said:

Hey buddy, you will do great tomorrow. I'm just happy for you that you're almost there!

Thanks bro!

Hopefully you'll hear something soon.

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Greece
Timeline
26 minutes ago, philos74 said:

Hi all, had my interview, waiting for a decision, lets see

Two things I was not prepared for: dates for all travel I took after I applied, had to ask to go out at the lobby and figure out the dates with my wife. Also, I was asked for two passport photos like @Private One. Passed the test, was told the decision should be made within a couple of days. Very nice and professional officer

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
12 hours ago, Lona.C. said:

Thank you cazzer , any news on your status yet ? 

No news as of now. This is getting So frustrating, But i know i have more Waiting Ahead of me. THe 120 days end on dec 28, So hopefully i hear something from them by then. 

I'm the Beneficiary
N400 April 2017 fillers: https://goo.gl/cp2Uxz
Support group for Romanian-American couples--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/520291304693940/

Timeline
15 minutes ago, philos74 said:

Two things I was not prepared for: dates for all travel I took after I applied, had to ask to go out at the lobby and figure out the dates with my wife. Also, I was asked for two passport photos like @Private One. Passed the test, was told the decision should be made within a couple of days. Very nice and professional officer

Keeping my fingers crossed for u and @Private One  hopefully u guys can get ur decisions faster than me. But from What i read here, it can Take up to 120 days.  We're almost At the finish line. 

I'm the Beneficiary
Support group for Romanian-American couples--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/520291304693940/

26 minutes ago, philos74 said:

Did you include passport photo when you filed your application? Where did you have your interview? Hope you will hear good thing soon 🤞

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Andocjourney said:

Did you include passport photo when you filed your application? Where did you have your interview? Hope you will hear good thing soon 🤞

Thank you friend.

Yes I did include photos with my application but was asked again for two more and had to sign the front of the photos taking care that the signature matches the one on the actual application. San Juan, Puerto Rico

Timeline
49 minutes ago, cazzers said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for u and @Private One  hopefully u guys can get ur decisions faster than me. But from What i read here, it can Take up to 120 days.  We're almost At the finish line. 

Thanks @cazzers, fingers crossed for all

2 hours ago, philos74 said:

Philos, 

I'm glad to hear you passed. Hoping it will not take forever to get that decision and oath date.

2 hours ago, cazzers said:

Thanks Cazzers. Waiting for an additional 120 after the interview just to get the opportunity to submit an inquiry is crazy. 

I think I'd probably take advantage of the invitation to reach out to the interviewing officer if I don't hear anything after a month or so. One of the notes on Form N-652 says "Send any questions about your application in writing to the officer named above...". Have you gone that route yet?

1 hour ago, Andocjourney said:

I know this question is for @philos74 but I wanted to weigh in. The new rules in place states that you only need to include photos with your application if you're applying from outside the US but many people send them in regardless - I didn't but Philos did and was still asked about photos at the interview. I was told to walk with 2 passport sized photos to the oath just in case the photo from my biometrics cannot be used. Others have reported that photos are required for name changes (I'm not changing my name).

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Private One said:

Thanks Cazzers. Waiting for an additional 120 after the interview just to get the opportunity to submit an inquiry is crazy. 

I think I'd probably take advantage of the invitation to reach out to the interviewing officer if I don't hear anything after a month or so. One of the notes on Form N-652 says "Send any questions about your application in writing to the officer named above...". Have you gone that route yet?

Not yet. I was Gonna Wait till 30 days after the interview if i dont hear back from then by then. 

I'm the Beneficiary

How did it go @Lona.C.? Out celebrating? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.