chicago1987

RFE issued at AOS interview - help please!

16 posts in this topic

On 3/21, we had our  AOS interview. IO said that aside from a missing gonorrhea test on our medical, we would have been approved that day. We sent in the response, and local Chicago office received it 3/27 at 7am. Anyone have similar experience? Will status be updated to state response to RFE received? Or will we probably just get  informed when the case is updated to approved? How long does it usually take for the IO to pick up our case  again? Thanks for any help you may have for us!

1 hour ago, chicago1987 said:

On 3/21, we had our  AOS interview. IO said that aside from a missing gonorrhea test on our medical, we would have been approved that day. We sent in the response, and local Chicago office received it 3/27 at 7am. Anyone have similar experience? Will status be updated to state response to RFE received? Or will we probably just get  informed when the case is updated to approved? How long does it usually take for the IO to pick up our case  again? Thanks for any help you may have for us!

Hey you :)

Can't answer how long it'll take but normally they update it as soon as they recieve it. It'll be updated as a regular rfe and as such should be within a week (for receipt). 

I understand the eagerness you have right now being so close to the goal! Just don't worry you are almost there. Congrats on the successful interview :)

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

Hey you :)

Can't answer how long it'll take but normally they update it as soon as they recieve it. It'll be updated as a regular rfe and as such should be within a week (for receipt). 

I understand the eagerness you have right now being so close to the goal! Just don't worry you are almost there. Congrats on the successful interview :)

Hope you are right. So impatient so I've been researching and read some horror stories. 

4 minutes ago, chicago1987 said:

Hope you are right. So impatient so I've been researching and read some horror stories. 

As do we all! But there is nothing strange going on here. .. just a little more patience and it's done! :)

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 11:19 PM, Suss&Camm said:

As do we all! But there is nothing strange going on here. .. just a little more patience and it's done! :)

Just a little update on our case - husband went to InfoPass appointment this morning. They stated that when a response to an RFE is received, it goes into the fileroom. When the "call up date" has passed for our specific date, the assigned IO goes to the fileroom looking for the response. They couldn't do anything to push up our case. Based on my research online, the call up date is 87 days from the issuance of the RFE at the local field office. Which would put it at June 16th before the IO even goes looking for our case. How depressing is this :( 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I would try calling again and hopefully you'll talk to a different person with a different answer :) seems there's a lot of people on here that have sent in RFE responses and had their cases move pretty quickly after that. I know it doesn't happen every time but it's definitely possible. 

Did they say this is what happens specifically with AOS interview RFE 's? Or all RFEs?

Just now, laci1806 said:

I would try calling again and hopefully you'll talk to a different person with a different answer :) seems there's a lot of people on here that have sent in RFE responses and had their cases move pretty quickly after that. I know it doesn't happen every time but it's definitely possible. 

Did they say this is what happens specifically with AOS interview RFE 's? Or all RFEs?

That's what happens for all RFEs issued via the local office. She went back and confirmed our response was sitting in the fileroom. So thankfully we know it physically is sitting there. She told us she can't do anything to speed up the process. She can't contact the IO - my husband tried to give her a "sob" story just to see if she would do something. But unfortunately nothing. We did put out a request to our congressman today. As we were hoping he'd have his legal status by now so that he can apply for student loans to start school full time in the fall. This stupid missing test is pushing back everything, and he may not be able to start full time. 

In case anyone is curious - A follow up on our case: we reached out to our Congressman on the 13th. Yesterday (the 18th), the aide to the Congressman forwarded us the email she sent to our local field office asking them to expedite the processing of our I-485. Cross your fingers!

• 2 weeks later...

On April 26th, I-485 application was approved! Definitely thanks to the congressman's aide! We received texts and emails this morning (4/28) stating that the case was approved. Now just waiting for the card is in production email!

Edited by chicago1987

• 11 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi Chicago1987

I know it's been a year for you but somehow we're in the same boat. Same issue here. Went on NY local field interview on 3/19. Had RFE issued for Supplement J and delivered the RFE in person on 3/22. Never received any formal confirmation that the RFE was received. What do you recommend me to do? It is impossible to take an infopass appointment in NY. Would you love to hear how / what did you write to congressman. 

Thanks a lot for your help

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2017 at 8:52 AM, chicago1987 said:

On April 26th, I-485 application was approved! Definitely thanks to the congressman's aide! We received texts and emails this morning (4/28) stating that the case was approved. Now just waiting for the card is in production email!

hello i know it has been a long time since when you posted this but i wanted to ask you some questions as i am in the same boat.. if u see this pls let me know and thank you

On 4/6/2018 at 6:46 AM, pendingAOSnyc said:

Hi Chicago1987

I know it's been a year for you but somehow we're in the same boat. Same issue here. Went on NY local field interview on 3/19. Had RFE issued for Supplement J and delivered the RFE in person on 3/22. Never received any formal confirmation that the RFE was received. What do you recommend me to do? It is impossible to take an infopass appointment in NY. Would you love to hear how / what did you write to congressman. 

Thanks a lot for your help

I don't have a recommendation for you. I wrote to my congressman (you just have to find yours - depends on your address). I had a specific reason why I wrote to them - otherwise, I would have waited. Thankfully, our congressman is pro-immigration and decided to contact USCIS - which helped us tremendously. However, unless you have been waiting a very long time or have a legitimate issue they probably will not help you. Let me know if I can be of any more help. You can try to write them - but you need to have a reason why they should reach out on your behalf.

5 minutes ago, Laura123 said:

hello i know it has been a long time since when you posted this but i wanted to ask you some questions as i am in the same boat.. if u see this pls let me know and thank you

Sure - feel free to pm me.

2 hours ago, chicago1987 said:

I don't have a recommendation for you. I wrote to my congressman (you just have to find yours - depends on your address). I had a specific reason why I wrote to them - otherwise, I would have waited. Thankfully, our congressman is pro-immigration and decided to contact USCIS - which helped us tremendously. However, unless you have been waiting a very long time or have a legitimate issue they probably will not help you. Let me know if I can be of any more help. You can try to write them - but you need to have a reason why they should reach out on your behalf.

Sure - feel free to pm me.

Hey thank you! So we went to the interview april 24th they gave us an RFE which we mailed right away and its not May 7 and no update at all. So i was wondering how u contacted the congressman and what you told them to expedite your case.. im so worried cuz i have a job offer coming up which cant accept :( and idk what to do so any advice would help thank you

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2018 at 5:47 PM, pendingAOSnyc said:

Laura 

it took us about a month to get approved after we sent the rfe. It could be faster. I know it’s not ideal but be patient. 

Hello, I am in a similar situation as you and would appreciate and tips or feedbacks regarding your case. Our interview was March 20th at federal plaza.  We received a RFE six weeks later! I immediately responded to it and has been waiting since. Have you received your GC? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.