Glenn&Molly

Tax Forms Needed for treating spouse as resident

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

After a trip to H&R Block where it seemed apparent the lady did not know what she was doing, I want to figure out how to just file myself for our first year. My spouse has income from Canada and was only in the US for the last week of 2016. What forms do I fill out for the foreign tax exclusion? Is it just 2555 and the letter to treat her as a resident for the full year?

Thank you

Follow up question, am I required to report my wife's Canadian income? She is already paying taxes and filing in Canada. According to TurboTax, it seems like my return went from 600 bucks to owing 170 when I tried to enter her foreign income...that doesn't seem right

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

yes you need to write statement about your spouse being resident for full tax year. 

if you file joint return and claiming your wife as resident then yes, you have to report her Canadian income

Form 2555 for reporting foreign income. If it's less than 101 300 then she wouldn't be taxed on it.

your tax wend down probably because claiming her as resident made it possible to get exemption and deduction for her as well?

Edited by Gitana

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.