N400, Registered to Vote as LPR

9 posts in this topic

I'm currently in the process of preparing for N400 application, I decided to due my due diligence and after reading many folks with Motor Voter issues, I check my status and sure enough it appears that in 2004 (13 years ago) there was a registration made. I do not remember ever registering. I have gone to my country clerks office and cancelled the registration and obtained a certified document showing Voter history which shows that I have never voted.  

In my N400 application I have checked the box that said I registered to vote but did not check have you ever claimed to be a US citizen. I have also written an explanation letter, explaining when the registration happened and how I have no recollection of it and stated that I did not willingly register to gain or obtain any benefits. 

I understand this is very serious, and it was clearly an honest mistake. Does anyone have experience with this, does the Statute of limitation apply since this happened so long ago. 

Im terrified right now with the with the new Administrations efforts to make it difficult for immigrants. Im married my wife and 2 kids all have LPR status as well. 

Any words or experience with this would help. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

You did the right thing with deregistering yourself as soon as you realize your mistake and including the receipts with your application. Who knows what would happen in the end, depends on the mood of the interviewing officer I guess but I googled and found a case that looks very similar to yours and ended with happy ending. Check it out. http://www.***removed***/forum/showthread.php/163789-Permanent-Resident-Registered-to-Vote hope the link shows up. It's from a competitor forum site. 

Edit: site name looked blocked. Try googling yourself. Easy to find. 

Edited by charmander

I'm on the same boat ? I googled my name and realized I was registered to vote when I was 17. That was 16 years ago! I had no idea. I called the clerks office and was told to go in cancel my registration and get a certified copy stating that I have never voted. I haven't file for citizenship and now as you said with the current administration I'm terrified! I will follow your post in hopes that it all goes well with you. Good luck 

So I have spoken to a number of attorneys, and the last one I spoke with basically said not to apply and not risk deportation. He did quote this case   http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2017/D02-13/C:15-2204:J:Easterbrook:aut:T:fnOp:N:1911733:S:0

Where the person did Register and actually Voted. She apparently was educated and was fluent in English, she was also married to a US Citizen and had 3 naturalized children). The BIA's claim was that #1 she initially checked the box and signed the voter registration, although a DVM official told her "its up to you" if you want t register after she asked if it was OK. 

In any case, I was told that this is the case that the BIA is going by, its a bit different in the sense that she did indeed vote. 

This is horrible, I have a great career, have no criminal record, pay my taxes and this one mistake literally prevents me from naturalizing. 

I hope other folks who have recently been through this can share their experience, most of the cases I've read online are from year past, so anything from the current Administration and their policies would be good to hear.  I would assume that the new Administration is targeting immigrants with Criminal records and folks like us would be a much lower priority.  

What concerns me is that in the case above, the lady was a model citizen and was married to a US citizen with 3 Naturalized children.

It's such a shame that the new administration has created so much fear. 

I'm on the same boat as you.  I was told by two lawyers that I should be fine since I didn't vote. Also in my i751 interview I told the interviewing officer what happened and she said that I should be fine as long as I didn't vote. I'm still worried but I'm gonna go ahead and apply this week.  Good luck everyone and keep us updated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.