13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi,

Do I need to fill out a separate I-131 for K-2? This is all extremely confusing and reminds me why I used a lawyer for the actually K visa process. Blah!

To keep things less complicated I may just avoid the I-131 as we don't actually have any travel plans but I was preparing for any emergency that might come up.

If I do not File the I-131 when would my family be able to travel and re-enter? I can't seem to find this information or my first question anywhere.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did not submit one initially for my minor, but I later thought better of it. I think you will be much better off as you can use it to apply for a social while you wait for the GC which may take a while. Having a social just makes life easier while going through this process for things such as health insurance etc. Plus it is free to file with the AOS application so you may as well take advantage of everything you can get for those prices lol. Im not sure if you were married last year but there are also some advantages of being able to file your taxes  and receive the benefits of claiming the child as a dependent. Even if it was not for the whole year marriage is considered a life changing event and if Im not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) you will get credit for the whole year which can lead to a bigger refund, or deduction in liability. So it is up to you but these are just some reasons why others like myself do. 

Edited by Chardon Ne'

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Yes the K-2 will need separate EAD/AP and AOS package.

If you file both EAD/AP with the AOS then the fee is waived. The EAD/AP will come in a combo card. I did it for my K-2 and I'm happy I did we just never know what comes up later on in home country or what ever or how long AOS takes.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Chardon Ne' said:

I did not submit one initially for my minor, but I later thought better of it. I think you will be much better off as you can use it to apply for a social while you wait for the GC which may take a while. Having a social just makes life easier while going through this process for things such as health insurance etc. Plus it is free to file with the AOS application so you may as well take advantage of everything you can get for those prices lol. Im not sure if you were married last year but there are also some advantages of being able to file your taxes  and receive the benefits of claiming the child as a dependent. Even if it was not for the whole year marriage is considered a life changing event and if Im not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) you will get credit for the whole year which can lead to a bigger refund, or deduction in liability. So it is up to you but these are just some reasons why others like myself do. 

It's the EAD (I-765)  that the K-2 needs to get the SSN number not the AP (I-131)

Timeline

Wait. So I have to file a completely different AOS package for her son who came along with her?

I did not seen this anywhere but I do now.

Does that only mean a separate I-485 or do I also need the other documents for the 13 year old boy? (I-131 I know I need now). And a 13 year old boy is so sign his own I485? What about a g-325a?  

How can i make sure I am doing everything correctly? What did everybody else do to make sure they filed correctly? This stuff has me so stressed.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Jay dub said:

Wait. So I have to file a completely different AOS package for her son who came along with her?

I did not seen this anywhere but I do now.

Does that only mean a separate I-485 or do I also need the other documents for the 13 year old boy? (I-131 I know I need now). And a 13 year old boy is so sign his own I485? What about a g-325a?  

How can i make sure I am doing everything correctly? What did everybody else do to make sure they filed correctly? This stuff has me so stressed.

yes That is what it mean.

No the mom sign for him. And all other forms and documents have to be there also. The only thing is the financial stuff (I-864) you can attach a copy of moms in the K-2's package. (If filed together in same package which will also give you a discount) ... 

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k2-visa-adjustment-of-status-tips

Feel free to aks if you have anymore questions.

Edited by Georgia16

Timeline
21 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

It's the EAD (I-765)  that the K-2 needs to get the SSN number not the AP (I-131)

Oh yeah duh lol so many numbers hard to keep them straight sometimes thanks for the correction. 

Timeline

Thanks for the help.

I was finding so much conflicting information out there and the process has changed so many times over the last few years it was hard to be sure about anything. I ended up following the link below exactly, I hope it is up to date. Did anybody elses package follow this blueprint? One area where I was confused was the medical exam. I don't really understand what they were saying but from what I have read border patrol takes the sealed package(wife confirmed this) and sends it to the USCIS so it should be in their hands. That is with a K1/k2 anyway.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Timeline

There is a form that the Dr should have giveb you that you can either send or bring withbyou to the interview. 

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Jay dub said:

The form for the immunizations? We have that but its just a copy of what is in the sealed package(supposedly). Did you send that in with your package?

It's the form DS-3025 there has to be sent with the AOS package. Look to make sure it is marked as complete in the bottom 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jay dub said:

Are you  sure it has to be sent?  It's only a copy of the original form which is in the sealed medical package.

Yes! ... Just take a copy of it and sent with the package

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.