SunflowerinATL

Not Sure What To Do? Advice Please!

4 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I filed for my 10 year Green Card back in July, I had my biometrics on 8/25 in Atlanta. We signed a lease (lease went in packet) and is due to be up in June, we would resign but turns out our apartment complex is being torn down. We are having ZERO luck in finding another apartment, everything is being wait-listed since it's my complex along with 4 others being torn down, safe to say demand is high in our city at the moment. 

My question is: I can transfer to a FL location for my job and my spouse is willing to stay in Atlanta and live with a friend until we figure out where to live. I've heard submitting a change of address can cause UNCIS to give you a RFE. I'm nervous though because I know if I forward my mail over to a FL address, government mail isn't typically forwarded. I don't want to get a RFE and miss it because it's lost in the mail being bounced back to UNCIS. 

My spouse and I are more than likely going to live apart until we can figure out if living in FL is a better option or do we spend hundreds more a month in rent to keep living in Atlanta or if we should live with friends and save up for a down payment. The tearing down of our complex really threw a wrench in our plans. 

If I move to FL temporarily, should I tell UNCIS I moved even if my spouse didn't come with me? Last time I moved to Atlanta from Florida, UNCIS didn't even get my change of address. I did the form and mailed it in and a year later UNCIS sent me a letter asking for my new address form (because when I sent in my i-751 it had my new address on it and they didn't have it on file). 

I just don't want to miss a RFE in the mail since I know some people get it within 9-10 months of filing, but I don't want to explain my slew of issues and why we're living apart. 

Advice please? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We moved 3 times during the ROC process, and just submitted the AR-11 change of address each time.  I'd just do that, and then you don't need to worry about mail not being forwarded.

As for which address to use, the problem is that both you and your spouse will have possibly temporary addresses.  You might want to stick with the address you think will be current the longest?

We got an RFE, and it seems that it was not due to us moving, but that they could not see we had moved together.  The letter stated we had to either show intermingled finances or maintaining residence together, at least in our case.  Maybe you two should decide on a main address as your base for each other, and treat the other address as similar to a contractor working a temporary job at a satellite location?

K-1

I-129f sent: 5 Jul 2013

NOA1: 11 Jul 2013

NOA2: 10 Sep 2013

NVC: 18 Oct 2013

Consulate: 28 Oct 2013

Packet 3 Received: 30 Oct 2013

Packet 4 Received: 22 Nov 2013

Interview (Sydney): 10 Dec 2013

Admin Review, pending NZ Police Certif

K-1 Approved: 30 Dec 2013

K-1 Received: 2 Jan 2014

Entry (LAX): 20 Jan 2014

Marriage: 25 Jan 2014

AOS

Sent: 3 Mar 2014

NOA1: 10 Mar 2014

RFE (updated Tax Transcript for 2013): 24 Mar 2014 - received 27 Mar 2014, mailed same day

Updated to RFE Response Review: 2 Apr 2014

Biometrics: 1 Apr 2014

Testing and Interview Notice: 21 Apr 2014

Notice of Appointment Letter: 6 May 2014 - received 9 May 2014

EAD/AP Production: 20 May 2014

EAD/AP Received: 24 May 2014

Interview Date: 11 Jun 2014 - APPROVED!!!

GC received: 19 Jun 2014

ROC

Sent: 14 Mar 2016

NOA1: 16 Mar 2016

Biometrics: 8 Apr 2016

RFE 18 Oct 2016 - response received 19 Nov 2016

Card produced - 24 Jan 2017, Mailed 27 Jan 2017

Card received 1 Feb 2017!

N-400

Sent:  7 Mar 2017

NOA:  14 Mar 2017

Biometrics 10 Apr 2017

Interview:  17 Jan 2018

Oath:

Have to do I-865 for sponsor change of address. 

Atlanta is big, not quite sure why you can't find another area to live in. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

15 hours ago, milimelo said:

Have to do I-865 for sponsor change of address. 

Atlanta is big, not quite sure why you can't find another area to live in. 

We are having a hard time finding a place we can afford to move into on such a short notice and we share a car. If we move too far one direction or the other, the one who uses Marta will be forced to take Uber daily which is even more money. Our rent was $700, places up the street have gone up to over $1400. Everything affordable is waitlisted and our complex is set to tear down very soon. It's not a matter of we can't find someplace, it's just we can't find someplace that will work for the next 12 months without it costing a fortune upfront with funds we don't have with first, last, security, move in fees, applications, moving truck, etc and nothing we could afford to move into is available until "maybe May" since apartments have 30-60 days notice. Hence why we would live somewhere separate until we can figure it out, but hotels are insanely priced and we have pets. It's a lot to ask of someone (no family in ATL) to take on a couple and their pets for possibly months. 

So our main issue is we wouldn't be on a lease for probably months and we'd likely to be living with friends in the meantime. Which we can't really prove we're living there as a couple unless someone wrote a letter, but whose to say a letter is "evidence enough"? This is just stressful as it is, now having to find a place to live on the fly and no idea what to use as an address. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.