IheartAsia

Booked With Japan Airlines Just Now. Leaving in 2 weeks.

4 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Should I get flight or travel insurance? If I can, I probably will. It wasn't offered when I purchased the ticket but I assume I may be able to  purchase it elsewhere.

I booked with Japan Airlines to Manila several hours ago.You have a 24 hour window to cancel an get a refund or change flights. 

Leaving on the 8th Feb. and I am gonna stay til the 25th. I feel good about it an I am very much looking forward to it!

Any objections? Nothing going on to crazy in Manila right now, eh? No political turmoil or any thing of high risk right now going on? 

I google the news from time to time an the main warning is to stay away from the southern island cause that is where the terrorist hangout. It is not the wet season, so less of a threat of typhoons.

I will probably hangout in Makati a good bit cause that is where my gf likes to go, but I would also like to travel to some of the tourist an native friendly islands along with some mountains assuming it is safe for us. As far as I can tell it seems like a very friendly country with its troubled areas. 

I will have many questions concerning preparations leading up to my departure. Is there another site or forum I should place my inquiries or will this one suffice? I use the search feature often as well an I am very fond of it.

If you have any advice or fore-warnings, please share.

I would like to share to anyone booking a flight, to use google flights to find the potential flights and then book directly with the airline. It is a much simpler,easier,faster interface than stuff like expedia, cheapair, kayak, etc.  It uses the same kind of flight finding search engine the other ones do. My favorite feature is the calendar that shows the best prices for each day. I found a $850 flight thru google flights on 15 days notice, but it was multiple airlines that I don't think were working together (don't recommend). I seen that Japan Air/American Airlines worked together, an it seems to be the ideal choice for the Midwest at the moment. A round trip with Japan Air for$1,050 in about 15 days is what I got. I recommend booking directly with the airline and hotel to avoid unnecessary complications. Safe travels everyone.

Travel insurance is a personal thing. It's the catch 22, when do you need it.... when you need to have it.  Japan Airlines is a decent airline and you will get there safe and sound as you would any other airlines.  This question could get thousands of good stories and thousands of trashy stories about any airlines. Right now things seem to be quiet in the Philippines so expect a very fun trip. My wife is from the "southern island" (Mindanao) and I love it there.  But with anywhere you have to be careful. I trusted my wife and she took good care of me.  I walked the streets when she was busy, and oh boy she didn't like that. But, being an American you sometimes think differently than the locals.  Stay in the Philippines forum and you'll get quality answers from those who live there and those who have visited.  Just pack like you would go vacationing anywhere else.  Don't wear flashy jewelry, don't show your money and trust your fiance with what is and isn't things that you should do while in The Philippines.  I too have used Google Flight for all my trips and have done the same as you and booked through the airlines. The calendar feature for me is the "cat's meow". Once you arrive at the airport exchange 30-50 dollars to peso's to use for cab, tipping or what not.  For large amounts of cash that needs changing "shop" around the streets. Know your exchange rate and don't take the first one you see. Trust your fiance. I keep saying that and it's true she knows what is and what isn't fair.  You will be considered as the "Kano" factor. Meaning you are $$$$$ to everyone and they will take advantage if they can.  I gave my wife the money and she always had our best interest in mind.  She negotiated everything. I set up transfer privilege with my US bank and when I needed money I transferred it to my wife's account. We withdrew using her ATM card from her account.  The exchange rate was decent and found it much more convenient than hunting the best rate off the street.

Good luck with your trip and safe travels.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

I've taken the ORD-MNL-ORD flight 3 times with no problems whatsoever.  Weather delays are always a factor that you need to be concerned about re flight insurance.

The AA and JP legs service wise are like night and day.  You'll see what I mean later.

If budget and time permit, I highly recommend a Banaue/Sagada trek (if you're physically fit).  Those terraces are a killer when hiking :). 

Also Coron/El Nido  on Palawan.  I did El Nido. Much more enjoyable than PP, especially if you dive or want to learn.

Have fun.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancée is also from the Mindanao island city of CDO..I've only been there twice but both times I never once felt in any danger. Like others have stated, listen to your fiancée and she will keep you safe, and life in Mindanao is great! I will be there  around the same time as you, haha.

Oh, and I also recommend Palawan if you can get away (you need a flight there and back, but only flies out of Manila or Cebu), but totally worth it! We went to the Island of Busuanga, the main city is Coron. Another place I would recommend if your in Mindanao is a short trip to Camiguin island just north of Cagayan de Oro city by boat.

On the flight insurance..that's a personal choice, I don't do it.

Have fun, wear sun protection and be careful what you eat and drink!.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.