Jump to content

Need a new medical for AOS?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiancé didn't make a copy of his Cuban medical that was taken to the interview. Now I hear we need it for the AOS. Is there somewhere in the states that can complete a new medical to use for the AOS?

There is no way for him to go back to Cuba and get a copy of it or call since it's Cuba these type's of situations are impossible to get a copy of documents.

Also in Cuba the medical expires in 6 months. Would this apply for the US as well? How can I be sure that it covers all the requirements needed? Would it be just a standard physical exam they give here? Or is there something more too it? I do have a paper with some of his shots but I don't think it lists all of them that he received through his life thus far. Only as a baby.

Those exams in Cuba cost over $400. I'm not sure what to do at this point.


Edited by pepper44

2nd go round

1st K-1 Denied

Subitted Feb 2-6-15

NOA1 - 2-18-15

NOA2 - 8-18-15

Interview 11-25-15 - Denied

And Here we go again -

New K1 submitted - 1-9-16

NOA1 - 1-12-16 (according to USCIS)

Text received 1-15-16

hardcopy - not received yet as of 1-26-16

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, 

Once you are ready to do your AOS, you can have a civil surgeon perform a physical and fill out the appropriate forms to send with your AOS app. You would have to call a local office near you and ask in regards to not having his medical history to see what they say.  See here: https://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons. In my case, my husband came over with this vaccination card and we sent in a copy of that. Not sure if that is going to be enough or if they RFE it and send us to a civil surgeon - either way. It's a small bump in the road and easy to fix, I do not think they would deny an app for that - especially for a K1 visa, since they had to do one before coming here. The visit to the DR is usually under $200 assuming there is a need for a vaccination, otherwise probably around $100 or so (at least in FL). 

Edited by tab_USA

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

***** Moving from K1 to AOS from Family Visa forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pepper44,

I already went through the process of applying for AOS for my husband and at that time he did submit sealed form I-693 which is a requirement for AOS. I din't get any RFE but it will be up to you if you want to take the risk of sending a copy of the vaccination record from Cuba.  I won't recommended but I know you will have to pay to get I- 693 done by an approved physician. The price will depend on the city that you live in and keep in mind you will have to extra for every vaccination that is not listed on the vaccination card.  Also, my husband ppd exam came out to be positive because he got a shot in cuba and everybody who receives that shot in Cuba most likely shows the result as positive.  So, he had to do an X-ray $50 more here in NY just to show that he was negative.  I know NY is more expensive than other places so I ended up paying like $350 for everything.  You can log in into USCIS.gov and search for CIVIL SURGEON, then you have to put your zip code and they will provide a list of civil surgeons and places approved by USCIS close to your residence. Make an appointment to one of those places and take with you any vaccination record that you may have with you. Don't worry about not having all the shots, they will check it and put the shots that are required to complete Form I-963.  Good luck and hope it helps to clear some of your questions.

currently waiting ClockWatch2.giftimeline.gif

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.