iceyspots

Anyone adopted a foreign born child?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
did you notice that those children are all about 9, 10 and 11 years old? i'm not saying that there's not good reason for them to be adopted...but c'mon. it's sad but true...most of these kids have grown up in very abusive homes...many are drug-exposed before they're born...nearly all of them have deep emotional problems.

there very well may be many people who would love to adopt these kiddos. but can you fault someone for wanting to adopt a BABY?? c'mon. you can't possibly be *that* insensitive, can you?

Now we get to the chase.

So the child has to meet certain specifications before its acceptable.

And presumably comes with some sort of warrenty?

Is there a Lemon law for adoptions?

So your point why go for pre owned when you can import a new one for less price.

Perhaps motivations need to be examined.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi

We do want to adopt pretty young, between 1-3 years old or from baby. The reason behind wanting a foreign born child is because, well, a lot of foreign born orphans have it much much worse than american born orphans. Depending on the country people adopt from (Usually the 3rd world), children not only face the same problems as american children, they often face food shortages, grossly inadequate to no health care, unclean water.. etc...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
We do want to adopt pretty young, between 1-3 years old or from baby.

That motivation I can recognise.

The rest is just weird self justification, if you were really concerned about getting the maximum benefit for your dollar for sych children, then a lot more could be done by sending money and helping many, rather than bring one to the US.

I still do not like children being looked on as a globally traded commodity.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Me personally I never looked at children like a globally treated commoditity. Me and my fiancé wanted to adopt a child because we didn't want people think we were adopting a non-muslim child to convert that child or something. We didn't want to feel that we were imposing a religion onto that child that some would say that isn't what they were naturally meant to be. I do say that when children become of age they should have their own choice, but a lot of times if religious education isn't started early, it's not likely it's going to stick with them later in life. Of course our decision isn't going to come until later. I just feel if we raise our child without any religion and let them decide later, by the time they've made their choice of religion (or lack thereof), if the child decided to be muslim they probably have already engaged in a lot of big no-no's. How many American children have experimented with drugs, wearing trendy (and oftentimes revealing) clothes, or have had pre-marital sex? I'm not trying to demonize American youth, but particularly if we have a daughter and we let her wait to decide until she is 18 to be muslim like us, and she has engaged in these activities, it's not very likely that she will be marriageable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm going to skip right past the posts that other people have made in reply to this thread. We've started looking into adoption and the first thing I found out is that you have to have been married for at least two to three years before you'll be considered suitable parents - they need to see a stable loving marriage. You do not have to both be US citizens yet, but one of you has to, and the other parent can be a LPR or a foreign national.

Adoption is EXTREMELY expensive and the process takes anywhere from 18 months upwards. A lot of people wait four or five years before a successful adoption is finalised.

It is NOT 'buying a child'. You can't just pick one up at the corner store or walk into an orphanage and say 'I'd like that one'. They do an extensive home-study and you have to do a training course and pay fees and wait patiently... and an overseas adoption requires several expensive trips to the foreign country to complete.

Things you do NOT have to be - rich (as long as you can find the adoption fees somewhere) You just have to be managing comfortably on your income and have enough left over to support a child. There are various charities and organisations that will help to pay adoption fees for suitable parents who can't afford it, and if your adoption goes through successfully Uncle Sam will give you a ten thousand dollar tax credit that goes a long way towards helping out...

There are lots of message boards dedicated to adoption and I'd suggest you go and do a google search for them and start investigating your options...

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Me and my fiancé wanted to adopt a child because we didn't want people think we were adopting a non-muslim child to convert that child or something. We didn't want to feel that we were imposing a religion onto that child that some would say that isn't what they were naturally meant to be.

You keep saying that, but seriously, children are NOT naturally meant to be ANYTHING.

No-one will blame you for wanting to raise your child Muslim, except maybe the child himself.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline

My wife and I, both American citizens are near the end of the adoption process of her neice., now our daughter,...3 years old. Her visa is being processed in the US Embassy in Manila, Philippines right now. The international adoption process is very difficult, but not impossible to do without a lawyer. I would suggest that you go to www.adoption.com and look under international adoption. I would also suggest that you go to uscis.gov and read about the rules that USCIS has concerning international adoptions. They are extremely complex, and no one will tell you what you need to do, you're basically on your own without an attorney.

We hired an attorney in the Philippines to process our adoption, and we had to make 3 appearances in a foreign regional court to get the adoption finalized for the Philippine Government. It was only then that we were granted an approval for our I-600 petition by USCIS. We had to prove that the child's mother abandoned the child, and that her father was too sick to work to support the child. I would have to say that this process is about the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life, but I'm glad we did it. It has taken us 3 years at this point. I've become a miniature expert on the foreign adoption process, USCIS and their rules, and the difficulties of getting a passport for your adopted child in a foreign country. You will, or should spend hours researching this on the internet before you decide to do this. Good luck, and feel free to message me if you need any help........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.