floggers

K1 Interview experience

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but just wanted to share my K1 Montreal interview experience as I know it was helpful to me when trying to prepare!

It was really easy. And my passport arrived exactly one week after the interview, which I think is pretty excellent, especially since Christmas occurred during this time (Interview was Dec. 21, passport arrived back in Toronto Dec. 28).

I drove to Montreal for my 9:30 am appointment and was lucky enough to find street parking right in front of the building. There was a small line formed outside, which I joined, and we were let in probably fifteen minutes later. I was an hour early but it honestly didn't seem like appointment times even mattered. By 9:30, I had already visited the first window, where I submitted all the paperwork, and was sitting back down waiting for the second part. Just make sure you have every single document--and do make copies because they asked--and you will be fine.

So after submitting the papers to the first woman at window 2, I sat back down and was called back up somewhere between 45 min-an hour later. The actual interview lasted probably five minutes. Didn't ask for any proof of relationship. Asked how we met, when we last saw each other, I think that's about it. The guy was SUPER friendly and made it clear he had absolutely no suspicions and just passed me through almost right away. My fiance and I met online so I talked about that, how we used to visit each other every weekend, and how we now had plans to settle in Baltimore.

I was out by 11am and received my passport, visa and package in the mail exactly one week later. We started this whole process in June so I've been pleasantly surprised at how fast everything came together! Seven months from first petition to visa in hand ain't bad to me. I'm entering the US in a few weeks and we'll get married at a courthouse within 90 days, then have our actual wedding in July. Hoping to be able to work ASAP!

Feel free to ask any questions as I know I had lots during this process.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! I am going to send in my petition for my Canadian fiance within a couple of weeks. I am just trying to map out the whole process so we know what to expect. Once your fiance received the NOA2, about how long did it take for the petition to be logged in Montreal (obviously after passing through the NVC), and how did you know? Did they send you an e-mail? A lot of the information on this site is a few years old and I know circumstances may have changed. Thank you and congratulations!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/28/2017 at 10:59 PM, aeroth88 said:

Hi! I am going to send in my petition for my Canadian fiance within a couple of weeks. I am just trying to map out the whole process so we know what to expect. Once your fiance received the NOA2, about how long did it take for the petition to be logged in Montreal (obviously after passing through the NVC), and how did you know? Did they send you an e-mail? A lot of the information on this site is a few years old and I know circumstances may have changed. Thank you and congratulations!

I'd suggest that you look at some of the timelines of people who have gone through the process (look at mine and, barring that silly RFE, it is pretty typical).

One of the key things that sped the process up for us was calling the NVC every few days once 2-ish weeks had passed, and we were able to gauge through a combination of that and the CEAC website when it had left NVC and was on its way to Montreal. We didn't wait for confirmation from Montreal that they had received it (which cut 2-3 weeks off of our timeline), and instead emailed the Packet 3 materials in after a few days.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.