meauxna

DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
My hubby and I are going to the US Consulate in Vancouver today to file our I-130...

I'll post later tonight/tomorrow to let everyone know how it went... (fingers crossed)...

Since I the last post from someone on this thread doing DCF via Vancouver was AGES ago, thought it would be good to have an update:-)

Wish us luck.....

:-)

Best of luck --- remember to bring all documents that qualify residence in the consular district!!!

Best of luck --- remember to bring all documents that qualify residence in the consular district!!!

I know, right?! GEEZ...it took us/me like three months just get copies of everything we need! So DEFINITELY bringing everything and anything they could possibly ask for...I hope;-)

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Okay, just got back from the US Consulate in Vancouver where we filed our I-130 application (via Direct Consular Filing)...

So, for anyone else going this route, it was actually quite painless:-)

You have to pass through the main security checkpoints, so no electronic gadgets (leave all cellphones etc in your car or at home), no sharp objects etc (almost like you're going through airport security)...

Then you're sent up to the 19th or 20th floor where you go through another security checkpoint.

Then you wait to to talk to one agent, and hand over all your original documents and the I-130 forms you filled out.

Then you're sent to pay ($355 USD)...then you wait til your name is claled and another agent gives you back your original documents, stamps everything and voila!

Now I guess we just have to wait to hear from Montreal...

And I guess I should start working on a "DS 230" ...whatever that is...

I'm off to find that part of the forum!:-)

Oh, meant to add, we got there just before 2pm (they're only open from 2pm-3pm, Mon-Thurs to do I-130s) and were out of there by just before 3.

Edited by simistar

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so excited to learn that Canada is now allowing DCF! I am an American citizen living as a permanent resident in Canada with my husband, who is a Canadian citizen. We were married in 2005 and decided that we would both get dual citizenship so we would never have to worry about moving between countries and doing immigration more than once. I am about to apply for Canadian citizenship and when that is all done we will move to the U.S. so my husband can go through immigration (and eventually, citizenship) there.

I still have some questions about DCF and would love it if someone could answer them for me.

1. How do I prove that I can support my husband in USA when I am currently living in Canada? Do we have to get a co-sponsor? What if I am not currently working, even in Canada? I plan on getting a job when we move back to USA so do I have to have a job offer letter?

2. When do I submit Form I-864 Affidavit of Support...with my Form I-130?

3. Once Form I-130 is approved is there a time limit as to how quickly my husband has to enter the US as an immigrant?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am so excited to learn that Canada is now allowing DCF! I am an American citizen living as a permanent resident in Canada with my husband, who is a Canadian citizen. We were married in 2005 and decided that we would both get dual citizenship so we would never have to worry about moving between countries and doing immigration more than once. I am about to apply for Canadian citizenship and when that is all done we will move to the U.S. so my husband can go through immigration (and eventually, citizenship) there.

I still have some questions about DCF and would love it if someone could answer them for me.

1. How do I prove that I can support my husband in USA when I am currently living in Canada? Do we have to get a co-sponsor? What if I am not currently working, even in Canada? I plan on getting a job when we move back to USA so do I have to have a job offer letter?

2. When do I submit Form I-864 Affidavit of Support...with my Form I-130?

3. Once Form I-130 is approved is there a time limit as to how quickly my husband has to enter the US as an immigrant?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Canada has offered DCF for quite a few years.

1. You will have to have assets of at least 3 x's 125% of the poverty guidelines, or you can use a joint sponsor. You do not have to have a job offer letter.

2. You do not submit the I-864 with your I-130. They will request it later.

3. The I-130 is just the first step - there is other paperwork to do and then he will have to have an interview in Montreal. Once all that is done and the visa is approved, he has 6 months to enter the U.S. using that visa.

• 5 weeks later...

Since we're (hopefully) nearing the end of our DCF journey, I figured I would make a series of posts on the sticky thread to give people access to the various files/steps.

First, to begin, consult http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/i...sa_relative.asp. Prepare all paperwork to file the I-130 at your local consulate or embassy. Contact the consulate or embassy to determine how to file the I-130 with them. Some require appointments.

For Ottawa, the appointment needs to be arranged in advance, with the Consular Section. The Consular Section at Ottawa will send you the attached checklist and ask you to confirm that you have all items ready. Then they will schedule the appointment. Ottawa typically schedules I-130 appointments for Tuesdays or Thursdays at 2pm, and it will take 1-2 weeks to get an appointment.

Since we're (hopefully) nearing the end of our DCF journey, I figured I would make a series of posts on the sticky thread to give people access to the various files/steps.

At least for the Ottawa embassy (and I believe for others as well), they do not actually process your I-130 during your appointment. They accept your forms and initial/sign your photocopies to certify that they have seen your original documents, take your payment and that's it. Your I-130 application is forwarded to Montreal for processing. It should take roughly 2 weeks - not less - before you hear from Montreal. The attached form was given to us by the Ottawa embassy when we filed the I-130.

post-63209-1244865577_thumb.jpg

First, to begin, consult http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/i...sa_relative.asp. Prepare all paperwork to file the I-130 at your local consulate or embassy. Contact the consulate or embassy to determine how to file the I-130 with them. Some require appointments.

For Ottawa, the appointment needs to be arranged in advance, with the Consular Section. The Consular Section at Ottawa will send you the attached checklist and ask you to confirm that you have all items ready. Then they will schedule the appointment. Ottawa typically schedules I-130 appointments for Tuesdays or Thursdays at 2pm, and it will take 1-2 weeks to get an appointment.

Apparently there is a 1MB attachment limit site wide per user (or at least me!) so I removed the original attachment and am posting here in reduced size, since I can't edit the original post.

Appointment_Letter_and_Requirements____.pdf

[Due to the excessive attachment size restrictions, I have registered a second account in order to post this file!]

Anyway, once Montreal processes your I-130, and assuming it is approved, they will mail Packet 3 to your beneficiary (spouse). Packet 3 for DCF in Canada is attached here. To speed your processing, you should begin obtaining your police clearance certificates as soon as you file the I-130. You should also begin preparing your I-864 at this point, although it is not required until your interview in Montreal. The USC should begin taking steps to (re)establish or demonstrate US domicile.

Packet_3_DCF_Canada_reduced.pdf

Ok, so the final step... After you mail back your Packet 3 checklist and DS-230 to Montreal, you are put in queue for the final interview in Montreal. As far as I can tell, we are all mixed in together with the non-DCF applicants so their "Done @ NVC" point on the IR1 / CR1 - Montreal Timeline to Interview, Tracking List will be roughly equivilant to your Packet 3 return date. It seems like it is approximately 3 months from your return of Packet 3 til your interview in Montreal - although this could very easily change - and that you are informed of your interview date about 6 weeks beforehand. Packet 4 will be sent to you at that point to advise you of your interview date and give instructions on the preparations you need to take, for instance having your medical done. Packet 4 for DCF in Canada is attached here.

DCF_Packet_4_Montreal_reduced2.pdf

Elosar thank you so much!!! My Canadian husband and I (American citizen, Canadian PR) will soon be applying for DCF through the Ottawa Embassy and I was curious what other paperwork was going to be involved. The thing I am most concerned about is the affidavit of support, mostly because I will be going on maternity/parental leave in August since our first child will be born in September and I wasn't sure if I would qualify (but it looks like I may be exempt based on Social Security credits, I am just waiting to hear back from the SS office.)

What was the worst/most stressful part of the experience for you? Were you able to call and ask questions from the Montreal Embassy/Consulate? Our (soon to be born) daughter is going to be a US citizen by my filling out the birth abroad documents, so I am assuming I won't have to list her as an accompanying immigrant (but the packet 3/4 documents you posted were confusing regarding this.) Argh! This whole process seems so daunting!

I'll just add that I'm heading off to MTL tomorrow for my interview. I put my packet three in in February. I thought I would get about 6 weeks notice. Nope. I emailed them to ask them about another matter--my husband's change of address--and in the reply they said that my date would be three weeks hence and they would be sending the letter that day. If I hadn't sent that email I would have only been notified with the letter which arrived a week later, giving me 2 weeks notice. As it was it has been quite a scramble getting the medical appt., getting work booked off etc. I'm happy of course that it's upon me and happened relatively soon (for bureaucracy), but a week or two more notice would have been really nice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Elosar thank you so much!!! My Canadian husband and I (American citizen, Canadian PR) will soon be applying for DCF through the Ottawa Embassy and I was curious what other paperwork was going to be involved. The thing I am most concerned about is the affidavit of support, mostly because I will be going on maternity/parental leave in August since our first child will be born in September and I wasn't sure if I would qualify (but it looks like I may be exempt based on Social Security credits, I am just waiting to hear back from the SS office.)

What was the worst/most stressful part of the experience for you? Were you able to call and ask questions from the Montreal Embassy/Consulate? Our (soon to be born) daughter is going to be a US citizen by my filling out the birth abroad documents, so I am assuming I won't have to list her as an accompanying immigrant (but the packet 3/4 documents you posted were confusing regarding this.) Argh! This whole process seems so daunting!

Congratulations Jensky!

Jessica, there is a forum here at VJ for Canadians where there is lots of discussion about moving to the States and experiences at the interview etc - so you may want to pop in there as well http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

You can only email the Montreal Consulate - they do not accept phone calls. Really all of the information you need is here on VJ anyway :)

Edited by trailmix

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a question about the medical exam. Is there a limit on how long before the interview in montreal that you can do the medical exam? and does a minor (my child) have to do the medical exam as well?

US born, Canadian raised, Irish Blood.

I just had a question about the medical exam. Is there a limit on how long before the interview in montreal that you can do the medical exam? and does a minor (my child) have to do the medical exam as well?

You will need your interview letter for booking the medical. they used to let you do it just wit ha case number; but I believe this is no longer the case. As far as the kids, I don't know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.