flousa92

Tax Returns for Form N-400

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I'm about to send my N-400 application form after being married and permanent resident for the past 3 years. I do have everything ready but I'm not sure about the tax returns and I was hopping someone can help.

Can I send the copy I have from HR block for the year 2014 and 2015 or do I need an IRS transcript form? For 2013 my wife and were already married but filed as "married filed separately" should I sent both of our records or just forget about this year since we didn't filed jointly?

I hope it makes sense,

Thanks!!

Edited by flousa92

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I'm about to send my N-400 application form after being married and permanent resident for the past 3 years. I do have everything ready but I'm not sure about the tax returns and I was hopping someone can help.

Can I send the copy I have from HR block for the year 2014 and 2015 or do I need an IRS transcript form? For 2013 my wife and were already married but filed as "married filed separately" should I sent both of our records or just forget about this year since we didn't filed jointly?

I hope it makes sense,

Thanks!!

N400 specifically asks for IRS transcripts. Don't use the HR block return. In the end they would only care about your tax returns but they may want to see your wife's returns as well to evaluate your marital union. I'd send both just to be safe.

If you are applying now, your interview will most likely take place after the 2016 filing is over, make sure you also have the 2016 transcripts in hand for the interview. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks Charmander!

it's really confusing since they don't specifically asks to send them along with the form in the N-400 instruction form. They only ask to bring it with you the day of the interview... is it necessary to send them then?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

FYI, the tax transcripts from the IRS are pretty easy to get online, and it's free. Once we signed up for the IRS account, we easily downloaded the tax transcripts we needed right away.

We included copies of our taxes in our application package, as the application did ask for that as proof of marriage, but I've heard they recently changed what they ask for with the application so that might be different now (for example, they also no longer ask for photos if living in US).

Husband's Naturalization Journey: (NBC number)

9/2/16: N-400 mailed to Dallas office via UPS Ground
9/6/16: Arrived to office per UPS tracking
9/14/16: NOA1 received in mail (dated 9/6/16)
9/21/16: Biometrics notification received in mail
10/6/16: Biometrics completed
11/10/16: Notification for interview received in mail
12/15/16: Interview ("Recommended for approval")
12/20/16: In line for oath ceremony (online status)
12/27/16: Received oath ceremony letter in mail
1/17/17: Oath ceremony
Hubby is now a US citizen! :) 133 days from NOA date to Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thanks Charmander!

it's really confusing since they don't specifically asks to send them along with the form in the N-400 instruction form. They only ask to bring it with you the day of the interview... is it necessary to send them then?

You are right, you do not have to send them with the application but I chose to send them with my application along with couple other evidences referring to our marital union. Fell free to check my timeline, I listed all the documents I sent. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.