Tine68

Frankfurt NOA1 and Case Number

47 posts in this topic

From experience, government jobs take a while to process but being on PPP I don't know how quick they want you to leave. My husband's new job took around three months from interview until we got travel orders. I don't think there was any official start date as such, so can your husband negotiate a start date to buy you some time? But it depends on the position I guess.....

As for the RFE, I really don't think you will get denied simply for forgetting to include a translated document. We got one for not including W2's with the I-864 and they processed it within about three days so it didn't delay anything at all. The only thing that delayed us was waiting for my German police certificate. I don't think this would qualify for an expedite but it might be worth mentioning your situation in a letter when you send in your document package.

If your husband has to leave before your visa has been issued, can you travel using the VWP and then return to Frankfurt for the interview?

Sorry to read this, I hope you aren't feeling too stressed about it. Relax and take a deep breath!

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Morning,

Thank you for the Support ... PPP Policy says, that once he receives his Orders , he has 45 Days to report on site with no space for Negotiations... He will send out the Paperwork Today, as they ask to return it by Dec 30 ... and the only thing that i can hope for is, that they take there Time to issue Orders...

Funny how things can change. Here i was worried a few Days ago about activating my Visa within 6 Month ... and now i worry about not having it issued in Time ...lol

Hubby is calling Passport Office on Base today to see what we can do if bad comes to worse... I am hoping that maybe the fact, that i already have a SSN and an assigned Alien Number helps speed things up.

I am a former LPR, and my GC expired in 2004... and both numbers are on the Petition..

The good thing about Frankfurt is that you have a chance to sort out RFE's before interview day, if you had got that one then, it would be a different story again!! We got one for not supplying W2's (it wasn't even a requirement) and I sent one for each of the last year three years so maybe that's something you might want to consider to avoid getting the same RFE as me!

I hope the passport office may be able to offer you a solution and I wonder if you will be able to stay in one of the lodges on base while you are waiting? The only other thing I can think of is going over on the VWP with him and then flying back for the interview. I read a post somewhere that there are cheap hotels near the consulate. At least then you could buy yourself an extra 90 days and be with your hubby. My visa took three days to come back so you wouldn't need to be in Frankfurt for too long.

Please keep me updated!

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Tine68 and Sunflower18,

So you both haven't talked since new years but I was wondering if I could join in on the discussion.  I am an american living in Munich and I am in the process of getting a visa for my wife who is German as well and I was wondering how your process has continued these last 20 days. I myself have just filed the I-130 just last week and got the first letter just like you with no case number, just the charge receipt and a paper saying to wait 90 days. I was just wondering, how long has it been for you and also have you gotten the I130 approved yet?. Also since I can't find any steps online I was wondering if you could help me out with the step by step process since I can't really find it anywhere. 

Also, just wondering but what was your RFE on maybe I forgot something as well :(

JGK

Hi,

thanks for asking :-)  I moved forward a great Deal, as i recieved notice by email today, to go ahead and submit a Apointment Scheduling Request and to complete my Medical :-)

Now i am happy to say that, in my Case Step 1 waiting on the approval notice for I-130 was the most nerve wrecking.

The RFE we received was due to a minor mistake from myself. I submitted an english translation from my previous divorce degree, but forgot to submit the original german document, and since i had a GC previously, they asked for a Sworn Statement from my Husband about the usage of my Nickname "Tine"  - somehow they said I cited it in my old immigration Record as a Name used.. but that apeared to be a Nickname... so all we did is write a Statement that this Nickname was never subject to any legal changes...

I am still wondering weather they gonna say something about my old, expired GC ... which i never returned... but that expired in 2004 ( unconditional one )  I returned to Germany in 1996 and never went back to the USA due to an abusive Ex Husband....

If i can be of help, just ask...

Hello Tine68,

Congrats on getting the NOA2. Just wondering, do you know how many days it took from NOA1 to NOA2?  Was it the 90 days they said in the NOA1 or was it faster?  I am hoping its faster since online it said at the NCSIC website 1.7months on average... SO lets see, I am getting nervous too since it looks like I might have to leave my family behind and fly back monthly to see them till this stuff is finished..

So just wondering, when  you say "as i recieved notice by email today, to go ahead and submit a Apointment Scheduling Request and to complete my Medical" This means you didn't just get the NOA2 but you submitted the next step which I am struggling to find out.   After the NOA2, you got this package thing and submitted the DS-260? or how exactly did it go step by step if you don't mind sharing? Also just wondering, when you look for the appointments, can you tell me if there are lots of openings or are you going to have to wait a few weeks?

Thanks again for all your discussions and sharing on this.  It is super confusing....

JGK

NOA2 ist the approval of the Petition.

It took 64 Days after filing the Petition.

First my Husband as the Petitioner received a letter, and then like 2 Days later i got mine with the link i had to go to online to file the DS-260 ( Visa Application) and the Delivery Adress for the Visa.

That link also leads to a Checklist of the required Documents for Step 2. Assemble them as fast as you can and mail out as soon as possible.

It only took them 3 Days to email me with the approval of Step to, and to promt me to get my medical done and to request the Scheduling for an appointment online.

I expect to receive the permission to access there calender tomorrow, so i can schedule my appointment.

So, you have to wait to get your Approval Letter, and then the whole process switches to online filing. You only have to send the required Documents by regular mail. The Instructions on that website are really easy to follow

Hello Tine68,

Thanks for the fast reply and feedback.  So the NOA2 took 64 days even when you had the RFE.  That isn't bad at all when they say 90 days...  So one more question for the I130. They asked for documents on , showing co-mingling of banking, buying a property, having kids, or taxes.  Since my wife and I have been married for 5 years and have two boys which are both US citizens, i just included the boys US passports and German passports with parent information and birthday data.  Did you provide all the other things, or just one thing?  I am wondering if this week I should just send in the banking and tax records since I requested them two weeks ago and they take time to come in English..  What did you do?

So as for the next step, I got the check list in front of me for this DS260 and the stuff which needs to be mailed in and I was just wondering, Some of this stuff takes time to get like the police report, we go tomorrow morning since it takes 3 weeks to get back.  Was there anything else which takes time which I might be overlooking? Also did you get your German police report translated into English? Also did you have to do this Affidavit of support thing?  What is this exactly, this I-864?

Also, thanks for stating the website was really easy to follow... I was thinking of hiring an immigration lawyer so I would not mess something up which could cost weeks.  Now it seems the fastest way is to do it yourself. So did you have to fill out anything at all in forms? Or just collect these required documents?

Thanks again for chatting about this.

JGK

Well besides the german police record, i also needed a french one because i lived there 10 Years. Thanks to this Forum i found out about it and got a head start... so when i received the check list last Saturday , i gathered all my stuff and mailed it out Monday of last week. I did not translate the Police records, as this is only required when there is an entrance... ( eintrag )

proof of MArriage : We just got married in October, but all we submitted was the DEERS Paper, and they never questioned it.

This I- 864 is the Affidavit of Support, it will proof that your Sponsor ( your Spouse / the Petitioner) is able to support you financially.It is a legal contract between USCIS and the Spouse/ Sponsor. If the Income requirements are not met, Uscis can request a second sponsor. 

You will have to submit the most reasont Tax Return ( 1040 ) and the W-2 ( Income report from emplyer ) but there are also instructions on what they need

You just collect the Documents and mail them , online you will have to fill out a Questionair when you file your Visa application. Some of the Questions where a little hard to understand, but there are helpful hints on the side of each question as to explain what they mean.

Hi Tine68

Thanks again for the feedback. Yeah I think you have to be prepared for these documents thats why I have been calling everywhere, talking to immigration lawyer and well this form has been the best source.  The Lawyer doesn't tell you anything because they want you to sign a contract first and the worst thing, I don't think they know about DCF at all... They kept on telling me it would take 9 months and I would need this PO box in the USA then I would need the NVC which is super slow as well.  What I found is doing a DCF is only possible when you live in the country which has a  visa office.  Did you have to show proof of living here in Germany?  I read somewhere they need your resident permits...

So just a few more questions :)  

So what is a DEERS?  Did you get married here in Germany or back in the USA on vacation.  I got married in the USA on vacation at my parents in 2011 so hopefully this helps out since its in the data base in my home town..

As for the most recent tax return,  I don't have a 1040 or W2 since I have been working in Germany for the last 8 years.  Do you mean they will want my Lohnsteurbeschinegu (spelling... sorry) or my Lohnsteurcard?  I do file my American taxes with a Tax guy I have in Hamburg, but he said to make things simple there was no need to put my wife on it since she doesn't have a SSN or was an american citizen.  My Son was put on it since he had an SSN.. So what did you send in? Your German stuff or did you husband have a W2?

Thanks for the last statement: " Some of the Questions where a little hard to understand, but there are helpful hints on the side of each question as to explain what they mean" . Know I am for sure not going to pay a immigration lawyer since this stuff is online and even gives you hints!  That would be the problem with the old DS-230 which was not online.  If you don't know what to put down then you create the problems which cause delays. 

Thanks so much for all this help,

JGK

Ok DEERS is the Dependent Enrollement for Military Members or Civilian Employees. My Husband works for the DOD and so i got registered as his dependent. And Yes, we got married here in Germany.

My Husband is my Sponsor and he submitted his Orders as proof of residence as well as his rental contract.

As for the Tax Issue. You will need your Tax return from the States, as this serves as your proof of residency in the US ... I don´t know if you are able to submit the German Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, this could cause USCIS to request a Joint Sponsor - but again - i dont know. Talk to your Tax Guy and see what he says about it. 

I am not on my Husbands taxes either since i dont have a SSN.

Have you filed the Petition yet ??? The Instructions on the Website from the Consulat  are really helpful : https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/uscis-frankfurt/  for explanation on how to start and this link here is the one your wife gets, when your Petition is approved : https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/how-to-apply/ 

Note SHE is the one who will have to fill out the online stuff !! As she is the applicant to the VISA

Hi guys! I went through the same process just last winter and crossed the border past summer. So if you have any question, feel free to ask! Our i-130 took about 60 days to get approved. Also, I am surprised they requested to translate documents from German into English? I thought some of their instructions said that Frankfurt accepted documents either in English or German. I never translated my police certificate from German and it was accepted.  I wish everyone the best of luck. The US embassy in Frankfurt is very easy  if you have all the paperwork prepared well especially for those whose spouses work for military. Don't sweat it!

I've seen my officer who interviewed me at PX ha!

Edited by Lenchick

Hello Tine68 and Lenchick,

So yes I filed the I130 two weeks ago and got the NOA1 last week.  I keep on asking stuff because of the website you posted is not matching what  USCIS directly has said to me. I have called USCIS in America 4 to 5 times and also get different answers from them. Only USCIS in America will pick up the phone, the Frankfurt office is just a recording and I have never talked to anyone from Frankfurt.  Instead I get just short emails which make me even more confused..  What I can conclude is a lot of stuff is not up to date. For example, the NOA1 has the wrong website on it, it doesn't even work, and it says the next form will be the DS-230 which was replaced by the DS-260 last year, thus not up to date at all.  I am just super worried that I forgot stuff. Thats why I am asking so many questions and it is nice to talk to people which are going through the same thing or have gone through it. So I did just look over my 1040 and my tax guy is great. It shows all my foreign incoming since 2008, addresses where I live and my first son's SSN which is good.  I will copy that thing and sent it in to add to my I130.  I just want to make sure they have everything they need for this thing so it doesn't get held up.

So Lenchick,

Just wondering, so you stated your I130 took 60 days.  How were your next steps.  Can you provide more details? Can you provide more information on what this package  requested so I can make sure I have everything ready to send is ASAP like Tine68 did? What I have so far is:

1. My wife needs to fill out the DS-260 online

2. I need my German address where they will send the Visa and package information

3. Passport copies. I will provide the whole family.  It seems to only state just my wife.  

4. Birth certificate for every family member. My wife and son's are in German, Do they need to be translated??? 

5. Marriage certificate. This is fine since we got married in USA and its in English.

6. Police reports. Applying today and it takes 2 to 3 weeks

7. pass port photo, the same one we used for I130

8. Affidavit: I will fill this out now ahead

9. Now from tine68, they will ask for 1040's That is not listed anywhere.... I will include this now as well and get ready.

and then my wife will get this medical examination date after she sets up the appointment.

So am i missing anything?

Thanks again for all your help here!

JGK

Hi, 1040´s are your Tax returns ...  this link has all the information about the Affidavit of Support and the Documents you need.https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html. I also enclosed a Screen Shot

Your Wife will receive an Email stating that she needs to submit a Request for scheduling an appointment with the link of the Website.

The medical is on Walk in Basis . The physician in Frankfurt offers the medical check for Immigrant Visa Mondays, Tuesday and Thursday from 7:30am  - 11 am. here is the link to there Website with all information you need http://www.internisten-im-westend.de/medicalvisa

affidavit.PNG

Edited by Tine68

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.