Jump to content

Canadian Elementary Teacher wants to work in California

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I've been looking everywhere for any information regarding this but unfortunately there isn't much in my case. I am an elementary teacher in Ontario but my partner lives in San Francisco, CA who is also a Canadian on a work visa. He does not have a green card yet but is still trying to apply.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is it even possible for an elementary school teacher to get a job in California? I keep reading that there are too many unemployed American teachers and the last thing they will do is sponsor or give a work visa for a Canadian teacher who does not have any teachables. I should add that I am qualified primary/junior so I don't have anything that's "specialized."

I just don't want to move to America and not work while my partner is working. Of course I'd love it if he would move back but that might not happen for a couple more years. I love teaching and I am on a board in Toronto but as a supply teacher. I would love to be able to work in California but have absolutely no idea how to go about applying and if I would even be given a work visa.

Has anyone gone through this before or have any insight? Thanks so much in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much hope of a work visa for you, I'm afraid, for the reasons you're already aware of--lots of US teachers looking for jobs, and you're not a specialist. However, I don't know your entire situation/skill set, so there just may be a work visa for you, if you look hard enough.(I thought there was no hope for me, but I managed to get a foreign media visa for the US). Also, you mention "moving to America" (and not working) which is not something you can do either. You can visit for up to 6 months, but then you'd have to leave and stay out of the country for a period of time before returning to the US again. Basically, you need to spend more time outside the US than you do inside, so you don't appear to be living there, and whether or not you're allowed to return would be at the discretion of the immigration officer at the border, and you may be turned back if they feel you've been overstaying your welcome.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you qualified to teach in CA?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.