Marlita

How do I get a marriage license?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello all,

My SO is from Jamaica. We want to get married there and then file a K3 spousal visa.

How does the licensing work since I am from the US and he is from Jamaica?

He obviously can't file for one in my State. Do I file for one in Jamaica? Where do we go to get a license?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

You need to goto the US Embassy in Jamaica, and obtain an affidavit from them to give you permission to marry. It works different country to country, but you need to goto the US Embassy there first then they will give you directions.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Hello all,

My SO is from Jamaica. We want to get married there and then file a K3 spousal visa.

He obviously can't file for one in my State. Do I file for one in Jamaica? Where do we go to get a license?

I got married in JA. If you are using a Marriage Officer then they will obtain the license for you. Whoever is performing the marriage ceremony for you should be responsible for obtaining the license prior to the marraige. Whether it be minister or marriage officer,etc. All marriage documents (license & certificate) are obtained from the Registrar General Department in Kingston. I believe their phone # is 876-984-3041. Their website is http://www.rgd.gov.jm

After the marriage ceremony the Minister will have both you and your spouse sign the marriage license. (It's nothing but a piece of paper that documents the date/place of ceremony as well as the witnesses.) In about 6 weeks you will then receive the marriage certificate which is the offical stamped certificate. If you are coming back to the States, I believe you can have it mailed to you here (speak w/Minister). After the marriage you don't have to notify anyone here, because the marriage is valid, via you have the license and certificate.

Your first step is to contact someone to perform the marriage ceremony, they will know what to do. My hubby and I got married in Montego Bay and there is a really nice Marriage Officer who took care of everything for us. Let me know if you would like his info. Congrats!

also, if you have been married before, bring your divorce papers with you.

You need to goto the US Embassy in Jamaica, and obtain an affidavit from them to give you permission to marry. It works different country to country, but you need to goto the US Embassy there first then they will give you directions.

Timeline
Hello all,

I got married in JA. If you are using a Marriage Officer then they will obtain the license for you. Whoever is performing the marriage ceremony for you should be responsible for obtaining the license prior to the marraige. Whether it be minister or marriage officer,etc. All marriage documents (license & certificate) are obtained from the Registrar General Department in Kingston. I believe their phone # is 876-984-3041. Their website is http://www.rgd.gov.jm

After the marriage ceremony the Minister will have both you and your spouse sign the marriage license. (It's nothing but a piece of paper that documents the date/place of ceremony as well as the witnesses.) In about 6 weeks you will then receive the marriage certificate which is the offical stamped certificate. If you are coming back to the States, I believe you can have it mailed to you here (speak w/Minister). After the marriage you don't have to notify anyone here, because the marriage is valid, via you have the license and certificate.

Your first step is to contact someone to perform the marriage ceremony, they will know what to do. My hubby and I got married in Montego Bay and there is a really nice Marriage Officer who took care of everything for us. Let me know if you would like his info. Congrats!

Miss Jones is correct about this. When you get home if you want to file right away you can with the copy the marriage officer gives you. You can also change your name at your bank and on your drivers licenses. Copy the paper he gives you and send it in with the I-130. Don't wait for the official wedding certificate you will need that for when you get an interview. This will save you 2 to 3 months. It took my 3 months to get my offical one. Also make sure to order to wedding certificates one for you and one for him so you can use it to change everything if needed. Congratulations on your wedding. Do you know where you will be having it at? We got married in a villa and our wedding corrdinator took care of all the rest. Best wishes.

If you need anymore answers for questions join us in the yardies thread we are there to help. It is in the Carribean section at the top.

Hello all,

Miss Jones is correct about this. When you get home if you want to file right away you can with the copy the marriage officer gives you. You can also change your name at your bank and on your drivers licenses. Copy the paper he gives you and send it in with the I-130. Don't wait for the official wedding certificate you will need that for when you get an interview. This will save you 2 to 3 months. It took my 3 months to get my offical one. Also make sure to order to wedding certificates one for you and one for him so you can use it to change everything if needed. Congratulations on your wedding. Do you know where you will be having it at? We got married in a villa and our wedding corrdinator took care of all the rest. Best wishes.

If you need anymore answers for questions join us in the yardies thread we are there to help. It is in the Carribean section at the top.

Wait I think I have seen you in the yardies thread. Anna also got married there to you can ask her what she did. She didn't have a big wedding and got married by the Justice of the peace.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline
Hello all,

Thanks Miss Jones,

I will check out those websites. I was having a hard time finding info on marrying a non-UScit in their home country. Do you know if an ordained US citizen minster has jurisdiction to marry in Jamaica? My stepfather can marry people here in the states and I thought it would be nice to have him marry me also.

Timeline

Wait I think I have seen you in the yardies thread. Anna also got married there to you can ask her what she did. She didn't have a big wedding and got married by the Justice of the peace.

Oh thanks for that info on not needing to wait for the marriage certificate Belwin! The idea of having to wait 6 weeks or more to get my I-130 rolling would've killed me.

Not sure where I will get married yet, but somewhere in the Negril area. Not into the huge hotel weedings, so a private villa sounds really good, or either at my SO's church.

If you check around, some villas in Negril will offer small private wedding packages. It may be a good idea as some include the wedding ceremony as a package, in which they will arrange the minister or marraige officer, who will obtain the marriage license etc. I know some like to include cake, brunch, flowers, boquet, music, photographer, or may provide these services for an additional cost. Not sure what the prices look like as hotels charge different rates during different seasons. Or if you want to save money and have something smaller, you and your hubby could get a hotel/villa and find a special location where the marriage officer could meet you to perform the ceremony. After, you can enjoy the rest of your time in Negril as husband and wife.

As far as your stepdad performing a ceremony in Jamaica, I am not sure. I would suggest you contact the RGD, because that is where all the marriage documents will be obtained. (I do think its a good idea and will be very memorable for you and your hubby, in contrast to be married from some random minister.) Having it at your SO's church is a good idea too, because maybe your stepdad can work an agreement with the minister of the church to see if he can perform the cermony. Then the minister of your SO's church can help get the license/certificate, etc. I am not sure if this is possible, but you can check and see.

Also, I know the website is a little confusing, so I went and found a few Minister's/Marriage Officer's in the Westmoreland area. I am not sure if they service Negril, but I think most of them would as Negril is a tourist area and a lot of people travel to JA to get married. They do charge a fee, I think up to $250USD, but they take care of everything (license & certificate.) Give them call and see what they charge, because if you can save money by having your stepdad and/or SO's minister do it, then I say go for it.

I am not sure what your religious preference is so I tried to compile a little variety. *All of these are located in Westmoreland*

Alexander Wilfred- Methodist (876) 955-2548

Paul Bailey- 7th Day Adventist 955-1299

Winston Barret- United Church 955- 9615, 382-9936

Franklin Beckford- Church of God Prophecy 957-7790, 895-5962

Joyce Bernard- Deliveranc Evangelist 955-4712/3296

Joseph Campbell- Church of God 955-4353

Ruby Clarke- Assembly of God 955-4494

Price Clemmings- Baptist 957-1860

These are just some in the Westmoreland Area, there are plenty more. If you go on the website, at the top scroll over Registration and then go to "A Marriage." There should be a link that says Click here to view a list of Civil.... The link will take to you about 27 pages of names which you have to search through for those located in Westmoreland.

But I say check and see if you stepdad or SO's Minister could perform the ceremony. I personally think it would be really nice. I hope this helps. Oh, and by the way I am sooo excited for you and your hubby. :yes:

Timeline
If you check around, some villas in Negril will offer small private wedding packages. It may be a good idea as some include the wedding ceremony as a package, in which they will arrange the minister or marraige officer, who will obtain the marriage license etc. I know some like to include cake, brunch, flowers, boquet, music, photographer, or may provide these services for an additional cost. Not sure what the prices look like as hotels charge different rates during different seasons. Or if you want to save money and have something smaller, you and your hubby could get a hotel/villa and find a special location where the marriage officer could meet you to perform the ceremony. After, you can enjoy the rest of your time in Negril as husband and wife.

As far as your stepdad performing a ceremony in Jamaica, I am not sure. I would suggest you contact the RGD, because that is where all the marriage documents will be obtained. (I do think its a good idea and will be very memorable for you and your hubby, in contrast to be married from some random minister.) Having it at your SO's church is a good idea too, because maybe your stepdad can work an agreement with the minister of the church to see if he can perform the cermony. Then the minister of your SO's church can help get the license/certificate, etc. I am not sure if this is possible, but you can check and see.

Also, I know the website is a little confusing, so I went and found a few Minister's/Marriage Officer's in the Westmoreland area. I am not sure if they service Negril, but I think most of them would as Negril is a tourist area and a lot of people travel to JA to get married. They do charge a fee, I think up to $250USD, but they take care of everything (license & certificate.) Give them call and see what they charge, because if you can save money by having your stepdad and/or SO's minister do it, then I say go for it.

I am not sure what your religious preference is so I tried to compile a little variety. *All of these are located in Westmoreland*

Alexander Wilfred- Methodist (876) 955-2548

Paul Bailey- 7th Day Adventist 955-1299

Winston Barret- United Church 955- 9615, 382-9936

Franklin Beckford- Church of God Prophecy 957-7790, 895-5962

Joyce Bernard- Deliveranc Evangelist 955-4712/3296

Joseph Campbell- Church of God 955-4353

Ruby Clarke- Assembly of God 955-4494

Price Clemmings- Baptist 957-1860

These are just some in the Westmoreland Area, there are plenty more. If you go on the website, at the top scroll over Registration and then go to "A Marriage." There should be a link that says Click here to view a list of Civil.... The link will take to you about 27 pages of names which you have to search through for those located in Westmoreland.

But I say check and see if you stepdad or SO's Minister could perform the ceremony. I personally think it would be really nice. I hope this helps. Oh, and by the way I am sooo excited for you and your hubby. :yes:

Wow! Thanks so much Miss Jones!!

That was great info. I know we want to save money just for the mere fact that all the immigration paperwork will be pulling on our pockets. This is all so new to the both of us, and Evan wants to do as much as he can but he's as lost as me as to where to start. I went to that website RGD. It is a bit confusing but I just need to study it a bit more.

So where did you 2 get married? We are thinking of doing it this August or July, depending on when my parents can get time off work. I plan on staying there for a month afterwards to get to know his surroundings family and friends more before he comes to the states.