Eric-Pris

$165 Immigrant Visa fee for greencard

4 posts in this topic

My step daughter (USC-became USC from her mother/my wife 2 years ago) brought her child into the US in January 2016. According to immigration law, because my stepdaughter is a USC, the baby automatically gets USC status. So she didn't pay the fee for the greencard.

But when she applied for a U.S. passport, they have given her all kinds of problems (first they wanted the father's signature only, but he's gone and nowhere to be found, and they wouldn't accept the form states that he's not available, so my stepdaughter tracked him down through friends and FB, so he signed the form. But now they want a custody court order that says that my stepdaughter has full custody, a document that doesn't exist since they were minors and didn't marry. They just separated and she got stuck with the kid.) and 9 months since applying, no passport yet. So the temporary I-551 stamp expires next month, and the passport isn't likely to be coming since they want a document that doesn't exist.

Can she still pay the fee and get a real greencard for the baby? It's been 11 months since she arrived. Would it cause any issues that my stepdaughter is a citizen and her daughter who should be a citizen has a GC?

Can she pay online the same way?

Thanks.

In case you are asking why she didn't pay in January, it's because the fact that when my wife brought her 4 kids over, none of them paid for the GC and all got their US passports without major hassles like my stepdaughter is having.

Any advice as far as the passport? Our local congressman was "helping" (relaying what the passport agency wanted, basically repeating what the letter they sent us said) but stopped replying to my emails because they are useless. I think that we will contact a senator, maybe they can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I get the A# from? She never got a greencard and her passport was sent awauy to apply for US passport months ago and they still have it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.