Tsquared141

How long from K1 interview to visa pickup?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I just scheduled my K1 visa appointment in Montreal for February 1st, and I was wondering about how many extra days we would be required to stay in Montreal to pick up my visa and passport rather than having them mailed to me? My fiance will be coming with me to Montreal and normally we would fly back to Vancouver and I would drive him over the border, but with the consulate holding my passport this is not possible. Perhaps we can make a mini-vacation in Montreal out of the ordeal :)

Edited by Tsquared141

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you can request it be picked up the next day, but I had to go home the same evening so I had them mail it to me. Took about a week to get it mailed.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We also came from Vancouver and will have a land POE in WA. Anyhow, when we asked about picking up the passport (we were staying a few extra days anyway) we were told that's not really feasible because the processing time "varies a lot" - and this was after the interviewer said we had one of the most straight-forward, well-organized cases he'd come across in a while. Interview was on 11/30, and the passport will supposedly be ready to pick up at the Vancouver post office on 12/9, so not too bad.

We also did attempt to have a 'vacation' at Montreal, but a lot of things were closed and/or under construction during the winter time. Botanical Garden was closed, Biodome is rather underwhelming compared to the Vancouver Aquarium/Woodland Park Zoo, Biosphere area was empty and we were approached by two homeless men asking if we had seen any cops around (we lied and said yes), a lot of buildings in "Old Montreal" were closed for renovation, etc. As such, unless you're really into the clubbing/bar scene, I think you can definitely see most of the worthwhile attractions/restaurants in Montreal in just a couple days anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.