SimoFati

tax filling mistake

5 posts in this topic

since I have been using turbotax for couple years now..I have no idea why when filling my federal tax thru turbotax I made a mistake and end up filing single :crying: I know this crazy how did I do that :o

I am not sure if this would cause me any troubles ..on the other hand when I filled my state tax return I filled as married filling separtely :wacko:

i feel stupid why didn t I even notice :unsure:

Now i checked about how to correct a filled federal tax and i am realy confused some more I ment thru turbotax again and IT seems to me that it isn t making any changes regarding my refund or anything like that ..I am having hard time changing from single status to married filling separately ...it seems to me that in the final copy of 1040x it shows I was doing the opposst :blink: from married filling separately to single ...I am really fricking out this specialy because I have already send my 1040 to support 865ez I AM NOT SURE WHAT I SHOULD DO???

what makes things worse is this saturday I have to wait till monday to get hold of anybody :crying:

since I have been using turbotax for couple years now..I have no idea why when filling my federal tax thru turbotax I made a mistake and end up filing single :crying: I know this crazy how did I do that :o

I am not sure if this would cause me any troubles ..on the other hand when I filled my state tax return I filled as married filling separtely :wacko:

Now i checked about how to correct a filled federal tax and i am realy confused some more I ment thru turbotax again and IT seems to me that it isn t making any changes regarding my refund or anything like that ..I am having hard time changing from single status to married filling separately ...it seems to me that in the final copy of 1040x it shows I was doing the opposst :blink: from married filling separately to single ...I am really fricking out this specialy because I have already send my 1040 to support 865ez I AM NOT SURE WHAT I SHOULD DO???

what makes things worse is this saturday I have to wait till monday to get hold of anybody :crying:

At the end of the day, you filed to the benefit of the USG. Can you correct that for personal cash recovery? Yes! Will that hurt your petition, no!

Send in a modified tax return. Either way, it does not matter to the immigration effort, so long as you meet the minimum income for sponsorship.

At the end of the day, you filed to the benefit of the USG. Can you correct that for personal cash recovery? Yes! Will that hurt your petition, no!

Send in a modified tax return. Either way, it does not matter to the immigration effort, so long as you meet the minimum income for sponsorship.

thank you for the replay

so you don think the immigration is going to wonder why is filling single when she is married??????

the last thing I need is complication to our case ..

do you know of any bdy that din t have trouble with this before?

thank you so much :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My gut reaction is that you don't have anything to worry about. If the government had a question about your filing status on your 1040 (sent to support the 865), I suspect you would have gotten an RFE. If you attend the interview and they want to ask you a question, just answer it.

As already suggested (and you have already begun to do), file an amended return using 1040X. If you attend the interview, bring a copy of the amended return with you.

That said.....did you intend to file "married filing separately"? Or do you think that is your only choice? Do you know that it is possible to file a joint return with your spouse even though he/she is a nonresident alien as of the end of the tax return (in which case you are both taxed on world-wide income)? Did you know that you might qualify to file as "head of household" is you had a "qualifying person" living in your home for more than half the year? In this case, you might qualify as "considered unmarried" for tax purposes and could file using "head of household" status. If you are interested in more info, PM me.

Good luck,

Mike

so you don think the immigration is going to wonder why is filling single when she is married??????

the last thing I need is complication to our case ..

do you know of any bdy that din t have trouble with this before?

thank you so much :thumbs:

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

File an amended return.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG