dandndandn

Maiden as middle name is illegal?

5 posts in this topic

I am in the middle of the process for getting a conditional green card. I had my biometric appointment today. I went to the local USCIS office and I filled out the form with my new name on.

The lady at the desk said that I am not allow to use my maiden name as my middle name because it is against the law. Also my passport (not U.S.passport of course) states my maiden name only, so I cannot keep my husband name as my last name. Is this true? My husband ( U.S. citizen) and I were very confused. She also said that I should report to the USCIS about me submitting a wrong name otherwise I will be in trouble.

I changed my name to my husband's last name when applying for a social security card. I kept my maiden name as my middle name which was suggested by the social security office. For instance, let's say my maiden name was Jane Smith. My new name is Jane Smith Williams which is my husband's last name. Is keeping a maiden name against the law? I have never heard of it.

I filed for I-485, I-131, and I-765 with my new name. I also put my maiden name in the section "the name used before USCIS". The USCIS sent out receipts with my new name on. So far I have not heard anything from the USCIS.

K1 Visa
Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2016-03-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-03-14

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-06-07

NVC Received : 2016-07-06

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2016-07-06

NVC Left : 2016-07-07

Consulate Received : 2016-07-11

Packet 3 Received : 2016-07-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2016-07-15

Interview Date : 2016-08-08

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2016-08-10

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Cleveland OH

Date Filed : 2016-10-17

NOA Date : 2016-11-01

Bio. Appt. : 2016-11-21

Interview Date : Waived

Approved Date : 2017-02-15

Greencard Received: 2017-02-22

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

True certain states you cannot use maiden name as middle name unless u petition the court for a name change. You can have double last name. Maiden and husband's name. It has to do with identity theft laws.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Timeline

Think it all depends on who looks at the paperwork.

Wife used her maiden name as a middle name on both her 485 and social security card. Not a problem

Month later we decided to file for ead/ap the person looking over the paperwork, refused the paperwork unless she changed the middle name back to the old one. (Her mothers maiden name)

Not sure what is right or wrong, since thats the way its done in the Philippines, and Im guessing a lot of other places

AOS Filed : July 12
NoA Date : July 29
Bio. Appt. : Aug 11
RFE for AOS Sept 6
RFE response Sept 13
RFE #2 NOV 5 (114 days)
RFE hardcopy arrived Nov 9 2016

Had 3025 transcribed by a civil surgeon.
Mailed back to uscis
127 days=485 . . 89 days=EAD
Nov 16 2016
Nov 27 New Card Being Produced

Nov 28 Approved

Dec 2 Card mailed

Filed: Timeline

A quick Google search revealed it isn't a USCIS (federal) policy/law issue, it is because of your state of residence.

Apparently, certain states (New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Washington) do not allow maiden to middle name changes when changing your name . In these states, you need to petition the court to change your name from your maiden to middle name, you can't do it through normal channels.

http://www.marriagenamechange.com/blog/maiden-name-to-middle-name/

Since many Filipinos use their maiden name as their middle name, I'm sure this comes up a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone. I rang the USCIS and I talked to the officer. She said that " that( my first name+maiden name+ husband's last name) is your name, nothing is wrong with it. She also said that she was sorry that happened to me and my husband at the local USCIS office.

So I guess I am OK for now.

K1 Visa
Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2016-03-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-03-14

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-06-07

NVC Received : 2016-07-06

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2016-07-06

NVC Left : 2016-07-07

Consulate Received : 2016-07-11

Packet 3 Received : 2016-07-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2016-07-15

Interview Date : 2016-08-08

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2016-08-10

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Cleveland OH

Date Filed : 2016-10-17

NOA Date : 2016-11-01

Bio. Appt. : 2016-11-21

Interview Date : Waived

Approved Date : 2017-02-15

Greencard Received: 2017-02-22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.