mycase17

I-751 November 2016 Filers

1,900 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
21 minutes ago, frigatebird said:

Congrats to everyone who got approval. I have more concerns whether filed N 400 was a wise decision. Looks like once filed N 400, CSC will not handle the case but let it adjudicate with N 400. However, plenty people reported when they went to N400 interview, after they passed the test officer didn't approve n 400 - the reason is they are waiting for I 751 to be done first. Has it become a chicken and egg question? I 751 is supposed to be processed first, but CSC leaves it to be adjudicated with N 400, then local office says they have to wait for I 751. I'm wondering when that happens, does USCIS give any timeframe for people who pass N 400 interview but wait for them to complete I 751?

That happened to me.

However, I'm happy to report that yesterday, roughly 40 days after the interview, BOTH my ROC and N-400 were approved. A card has been mailed to me, and I've been placed in line to take the oath. So yeah, it still worked out for the best and I have definitely saved time by applying for the N-400 when I did. 

Filing for the N-400 was a wise decision in my case. I hope it turns out the same for you. Best of luck!

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

5 minutes ago, Nikkosan said:

That happened to me.

However, I'm happy to report that yesterday, roughly 40 days after the interview, BOTH my ROC and N-400 were approved. A card has been mailed to me, and I've been placed in line to take the oath. So yeah, it still worked out for the best and I have definitely saved time by applying for the N-400 when I did. 

Filing for the N-400 was a wise decision in my case. I hope it turns out the same for you. Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your update, I filed my N 400 in Jan 2018. I'm early Dec. 2016 I 751 filer, I 751 is moving towards Dec. 2016. I guess most likely CSC will skip mine. So I wish I could have N 400 interview scheduled in May, praying..

Timeline
10 minutes ago, frigatebird said:

Thanks a lot for your update, I filed my N 400 in Jan 2018. I'm early Dec. 2016 I 751 filer, I 751 is moving towards Dec. 2016. I guess most likely CSC will skip mine. So I wish I could have N 400 interview scheduled in May, praying..

Have you looked at threads specific to your Field Office? That may give you a heads up on how things are proceeding. Either way, just keep thinking that you have been in line for your N-400 since January, and that these months are not wasted. You're keeping your spot in the line!

Edited by Nikkosan

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, frigatebird said:

Congrats to everyone who got approval. I have more concerns whether filed N 400 was a wise decision. Looks like once filed N 400, CSC will not handle the case but let it adjudicate with N 400. However, plenty people reported when they went to N400 interview, after they passed the test officer didn't approve n 400 - the reason is they are waiting for I 751 to be done first. Has it become a chicken and egg question? I 751 is supposed to be processed first, but CSC leaves it to be adjudicated with N 400, then local office says they have to wait for I 751. I'm wondering when that happens, does USCIS give any timeframe for people who pass N 400 interview but wait for them to complete I 751?

I applied for ROC in Nov 2016 and because eligible for Naturalization on Nov 17. I applied for each one as soon as I could, just to get over with it. I had my interview (presumably for N400, but the officer had both cases) and passed the test, but was told it couldn't be "approved" yet, because I needed the i751 first. a couple of weeks later, I got the notice saying that i751 was approved and that the green card was being produced. In the meantime, my status for the N400 is that I got approved, however I am on the queue for the ceremony and they will let me know when they will schedule it. I think it was a smart move (for what I've seen) applying for both cases at the same time, but I might be wrong.

6 hours ago, JimyAnita said:

I applied for ROC in Nov 2016 and because eligible for Naturalization on Nov 17. I applied for each one as soon as I could, just to get over with it. I had my interview (presumably for N400, but the officer had both cases) and passed the test, but was told it couldn't be "approved" yet, because I needed the i751 first. a couple of weeks later, I got the notice saying that i751 was approved and that the green card was being produced. In the meantime, my status for the N400 is that I got approved, however I am on the queue for the ceremony and they will let me know when they will schedule it. I think it was a smart move (for what I've seen) applying for both cases at the same time, but I might be wrong.

Can you tell me what date you received the letter from USCIS?

18 hours ago, Nikkosan said:

Have you looked at threads specific to your Field Office? That may give you a heads up on how things are proceeding. Either way, just keep thinking that you have been in line for your N-400 since January, and that these months are not wasted. You're keeping your spot in the line!

You mean the thread of a particular field office? I only found a thread about Honolulu HI USCIS field office review (my field office is Honolulu). That would be great if I can find some thread in regards the processing of my field office, do you know if VJ has any?

Timeline
20 minutes ago, frigatebird said:

You mean the thread of a particular field office? I only found a thread about Honolulu HI USCIS field office review (my field office is Honolulu). That would be great if I can find some thread in regards the processing of my field office, do you know if VJ has any?

Yes, that's what I meant, but sorry, I wouldn't know about threads for HI (perhaps a search also on Google, out of VJ? I did find some info on mine that way).

14 hours ago, JimyAnita said:

Thanks a lot for your testimony of successful cases. I think that might be the norm for us who applied N400. They just couldn't approve either on the spot. How long was your interview for I 751 part? So did they review your ROC before interview or they reviewed it after the combined interview?

26 minutes ago, Nikkosan said:

Yes, that's what I meant, but sorry, I wouldn't know about threads for HI (perhaps a search also on Google, out of VJ? I did find some info on mine that way).

I see, not too much people are from Honolulu, HI. Looks like the processing speed is Ok, before USCIS revamped the site. For N 400, Honolulu Hi was on Apr.15, 2017 400 as of the 12/31/2016.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, frigatebird said:

Thanks a lot for your testimony of successful cases. I think that might be the norm for us who applied N400. They just couldn't approve either on the spot. How long was your interview for I 751 part? So did they review your ROC before interview or they reviewed it after the combined interview?

I'll answer based on my experience (I know you quoted JimyAnita...):

The I-751 interview was really just a friendly chat. She had the form in front of her and she asked DOBs and SSN. Then she asked my spouse (US citizen) for how long we have been married, where we met, and a couple of questions about my family. She was very happy with us and mentioned that LGBT couples are usually very prepared, and she liked that (LOL).

We did the ROC interview first, and then my spouse was accompanied out of the room, and we went ahead with the N-400: testing first, and then every single question out of the N-400 form. At the end, I was made to sign an electronic pad (I revised/explained some of the answers, and she changed them on the form), and after that, I was given a form saying I was recommended for approval. That was it! Very easy!

3 minutes ago, frigatebird said:

I see, not too much people are from Honolulu, HI. Looks like the processing speed is Ok, before USCIS revamped the site. For N 400, Honolulu Hi was on Apr.15, 2017 400 as of the 12/31/2016.

Shouldn't be too long then!

My NOA is 11/08/2016 (CSC), did a late rescheduled biometrics in January 2017. On March 5, 2018 status changed to “Case transferred to field office” though I did not receive any notice on that. Today 4/25/2018 I received an email saying that ROC is approved and my card is being produced. WAC17038XXXXX. It’s been a long waiting game and so happy that it’s finally approved. Good luck everyone! 

3 hours ago, Nikkosan said:

I'll answer based on my experience (I know you quoted JimyAnita...):

The I-751 interview was really just a friendly chat. She had the form in front of her and she asked DOBs and SSN. Then she asked my spouse (US citizen) for how long we have been married, where we met, and a couple of questions about my family. She was very happy with us and mentioned that LGBT couples are usually very prepared, and she liked that (LOL).

We did the ROC interview first, and then my spouse was accompanied out of the room, and we went ahead with the N-400: testing first, and then every single question out of the N-400 form. At the end, I was made to sign an electronic pad (I revised/explained some of the answers, and she changed them on the form), and after that, I was given a form saying I was recommended for approval. That was it! Very easy!

Shouldn't be too long then!

@NikkosanWow, I really like your experience. Your officer seems to be a very nice person. It's a blessing, I wish I will have the same smooth experience as you had. Thanks very much Nikkosan

Edited by frigatebird

Timeline
1 hour ago, frigatebird said:

@NikkosanWow, I really like your experience. Your officer seems to be a very nice person. It's a blessing, I wish I will have the same smooth experience as you had. Thanks very much Nikkosan

Pleasure! Anything to ease a fellow VJer's mind!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, frigatebird said:

So, the thing is that the information for both the ROC and Naturalization are pretty much the same for me, I only added more evidence. The Officer said "we well work with both cases together, we will go back and forth, but I won't be able to approve them now, because they only give us 45 minutes". To be honest I was really anxious about the civic test. I know it's very easy, but I suck at remembering names and dates. The questions for the test were extremely easy, such as "what's the political party of the president?". I already forgot the rest of them, but nothing about dates or names, basically. The English part is just to read and write a sentence, but I knew that and it was very easy. Then she asked me questions. She asked why we don't have kids (she repeated this question 2 times, and the second time I explained we have 4 cats and 3 dogs and she wrote it down). She actually asked me if I had brought some extra evidence and I said that I didn't know I had, I submitted everything online and so she said "Oh, ok, I will have a look at that later, then". Also, my husband was outside, so I let her know and she said "it's ok, if we need him, we will call him". So pretty much I don't know how they handled the case, I can tell you at the interview she had both my cases. She was presumably reading things from both. She printed a paper saying that I passed the test, but they couldn't approved me just yet. Online it shows that the case has been moved to another office like 4 times. In fact in one of the online systems it doesn't show yet that I have been approved, although I received the letter (I received 3 identical letters). Presumably and for the little we know from online status, "my green card is in production" and "I'm in line for the oath", with both cases approved, but at this point I know that anything can happen. In fact I received today a notice that they tried to deliver a certified letter. It will arrived in the post office tomorrow. For what I've read, it's bad news. Good news never come on a certified letter. So I will have to wait and see what it is.

Timeline
7 hours ago, JimyAnita said:

Presumably and for the little we know from online status, "my green card is in production" and "I'm in line for the oath", with both cases approved, but at this point I know that anything can happen. In fact I received today a notice that they tried to deliver a certified letter. It will arrived in the post office tomorrow. For what I've read, it's bad news. Good news never come on a certified letter. So I will have to wait and see what it is.

Wow, that's bizarre!

Please keep us posted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.