throwaway22334455

Expired NOA2, options?

4 posts in this topic

Hi there, my fiancee and I received our NOA2 back in April and as we've been able to visit each other during this process we've procrastinated quite a bit and never got around to sending packet 3. It's pretty dumb to let an important deadline slip our minds, but I had assumed we had a year to complete the process and procrastinated accordingly.

As our NOA2 is now almost two months expired, do we have any options other than starting over? I planned to call the consulate on Monday, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anybody has been in a similar situation as we're kind of nervous wrecks about the whole thing.

Thanks for any help.

Had you had an interview date then they would have automatically extended your NOA2. You could have even extended the date and been okay. But you can contact the consulate and see if they still have your NOA2 and will extend the expiration date on it so that you don't have to start ALL over.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank you for the post, NikLR.

Update in case anybody is in a similar situation and finds this via a search down the line.

I contacted the consulate on Oct 11th, 2016 and they said I needed to send the documents ASAP with an updated letter of intent to marry from the petitioner. About a day after doing so I received a physical letter dated September 30th (so it was sent before my inquiry) that my case was going to be abandoned if I did not attempt to progress my case within 60 days and include an updated letter of intent to marry from the petitioner, which is roughly equivalent to what I was told via contacting the consulate.

I will update this post if I encounter any difficulties related to the expiration of the NOA2, so take a lack of updates as a sign that it did not produce any.

Edited by throwaway22334455

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.