goobies

Evidence of Bonafide Relationship

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Greetings everyone,

We hope this message finds you all well and moving along on your visajournies.

We are about to send off the first package of forms and information, and just wanted to see if the evidences we have seem to be enough...

What we have:

Several photos with both of us as well as family members.
Random receipts from electronic, vet, restaurant, hotel, rent payments
A leasing contract from our most recent abode
Letters of Support from various family and community members stating how they know us, etc
My boarding passes and visa stamps to Uganda
Greeting cards and wedding cards from family members
Letters to each other
Facebook chats
Phone logs from the US showing me calling Uganda
Joint bank account from Uganda (but it doesn't have much money, and we aren't including the statements, just a letter from the manager)

What we DON'T have:

Proof of joint property (we have a car together but in UG you can't put two names on the title)
Joint bank account in the USA

Another concern, we have moved around, literally every three months, while living in Uganda. Is this going to look strange? Is there anything else we can possibly do before I send this package off?

We just want to get as much evidence as possible sent off in the first package. Because we got married right after my divorce was finalized, we are a bit worried that it will be a huge red flag. We have both written letters about how we met when I was already separated, how he went through the whole divorce process with me, and how my family also knows the details of my divorce and meeting my husband while separated from the x.

I hope this is not too rambling and that you can help suggest anything that might come to mind which could help the credibility or whatever of our case.

Sincerely,
The Goobies

So you live together in Uganda? Living together is the best evidence of all. I wouldn't worry about joint ownership of a car or a bank account in the USA if you are living together. Many of us have never lived with our spouses (myself included) and we were approved with "less" evidence.

Is moving around a lot common in Uganda? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it's not, I'm sure you have good reasons for this (work?).

Regarding the divorce, we got married 13.5 months after my divorce and it wasn't a problem at all. We didn't even address that in our evidence.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Thank you for the great encouragement. Yes, we have lived together for 10 months in Uganda.

The reasons for moving so much is because it is hard to find good (and by this I mean safe and clean) places to live. You always have to pay 3 months in advance, so if it turns out the place is not good after you have paid, you must wait it out until the 3 months is over, or lose all that money. We have finally, just now, found a wonderful place that I am sure we will be in until the visa process is over.

I'm not sure if you understood the part about my divorce...we got married immediately after the Divorce Absolute was issued. I hope it will not be too much of a problem. We have both written statements about how we met while I was separated from x.

Otherwise, thank you so much for the encouragement. I am grateful that we have been able to live together for so long. Your remark has given us a new wave of hope.

-Goobie1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.