Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Supporting documents/proof for AOS interview

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico

I hope this helps to put the information about AOS proof in one place. I can't confirm the importance of any of it, I just collected this from other posts on VJ and put them in one place. Some of this could be used for the ROC also

Bona fide couples will have some of this, but early in your marriage you might not have a lot so at least get the easy things and explain why you don't yet have the other things. If you explanation is valid you probably won't have a problem. At least that's what I'm reading here. For example maybe your lease was not renewed yet so your spouse's name does not yet appear (although your landlord might be able to submit something)
One poster wrote this:
A little seems to go a long way during AOS. They don't have as high an expectation of co-mingling at AOS as they do at ROC. So take what you have and be honest why you only have what you have. I wouldn't be too worried. We got an interview waiver and only submitted a bank statement and one electric bill.
This is from the 1-130 instructions-but of course would work here as well
1-Documentation showing joint ownership of property; *or
2-A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence
3-Documentation showing co-mingling of fiancial resources (more on this below)
4-Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you
5-Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (each affidavit must contain the full name and and address, date and place of birth of the person the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage.
(landlord or neighbor might work if they see you often enough)
6-Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.
Bank statements with both names
(I'm also bringing copies of debit card bills for restaurants, etc. that he signed-we took photos of these-they show we were together buying a big purchase and he was the signer) If anyone knows whether this is helpful or not please post.
Both names on safe deposit box at bank.
Proof spouse can use your credit card
Paypal debit card in the other's name or authorized user of other's Paypal account
Put spouse as Payable on Death to your bank accounts, CDs, stock accounts, (OP said SS# not needed-if anyone knows if this is still true please post)
Receipts for large purchases such as sofas, cars, etc.
Family phone plans
State ID or drivers license showing joint address
Wills, medical power of attorney, etc that you've drafted
Put each other on HIPPA forms for doctors' offices (the person that medical information can be discussed with) Your doctor should be able to send a copy to you.
Put spouse on your work or personal health (and dental) insurance policies
*IF joint ownership of property is hard to get maybe homeowner's insurance or apt renters insurance would be easier. I haven't tried this yet-comments welcome.
Utilities accounts (cable, heat, etc) put in both names if possible. If not in both names the beneficiary's name shows your joint address and that your spouse is paying that bill.
Letter from employer saying the foreign applicant is the USC's 401k beneficiary and his/her emergency contact;
Statement showing spouse as beneficiary to retirement funds you own personally.
Safe deposit box with both names-not sure how to get a receipt for this.
Any loans in both names-with the low interest rates (of 2016) this is also a good way to begin establishing credit for your new spouse. A small loan with you as co-signer, paid in full will help.
Receipts for travel such as passports showing same destination, your I-94 (OP said this is available online) airline tickets, hotels, air B&B receipts (there is a place to describe to host why you are traveling-might be possible to print this out showing both names and the reason for your travel)
any affidavits or notarized documents you might have signed for each other.
(For example I signed some state tax business papers)
Cards addressed to both of you (one poster wrote: We also brought letters from both our wedding witnesses (good local friends) saying they knew us for X amount of time, they saw us last together on Y and that we were a loving couple.) Holiday cards would work too.
Photos of course, especially to support your relationship story!!
Joint memberships such as AAA, health clubs, Costco, theater type tickets, familyskiing passes)
  • photos of your relationship before and after entering the US (photos showing both of you doing things together after entering the US will probably be asked for)
  • photos of doing things with family or mutual friends
  • income tax
  • copies of the AOS application and all the mail that came to you from USCIS at your joint address
  • EAD/AP permission card

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...