gazman

I-485 Form and Evidence for Criminal History

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Long story short. I am 22 Just got out of college where I met my Fiancee. Gone through the process I am now here married to my wife, everything is going great. I am now filing my Adjustment of status.

When I was in college I was arrested for public intoxication and urinating in public. I had no issues getting here as they said it happened in the US and not in the UK where I am from. I have a clean record in the UK. I was just asked about what happened at my Medical in London and they asked about my consumption of alcohol now and have I learnt. The officer for my interview brushed over it but said I am fine. That was that. Now when filing my AOS for the I-485 Part 3: Question 1b. I obviously put yes. It says attach a piece of paper explaining what happened. Then I go onto the forms instructions and it says:

You must file your application with the following evidence: 1. Criminal history

A. If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, submit: An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicable court order confirming that no charges were filed. B. If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, or if charges were filed against you without an arrest, submit: An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and/or disposition for each incident (e.g., dismissal order, conviction record, or acquittal order). C. If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), submit: 1. An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and 2. Evidence that you completed your sentence, specifically: a. An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or b. Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program. D. If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your record, submit: 1. An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction; or 2. An original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

Is this for if I have been arrested in England or do I have to get the police files from the police station in Texas, I ask this because they have not made me get any of the files in the past? Will a extended sheet with an explanation be enough?

Any Ideas?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I don't know the AOS process at all (we aren't to that point yet) but, I would say go ahead and call the court in Texas and ask for any records they have on you and that a certified copy be sent to you. I work in court and it's a very common request for individuals working with immigration.

From what I've read on VJ, the more information you provide, the better.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes you need the court records, just as the instructions state.

any law enforcement officer for any reason

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.