TennMike7

Worried about Affidavir of Support for interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've been planning to do this immigration thing for over a year now, and I've been saving money to try to make it possible. But what I've been reading lately about the interview and the Affidavit of Support makes it almost impossible for me. I am not a homeowner and plan to get a job after I move there. My original intention was to get a CDL and a job as a truckdriver for the first couple years.

But now I'm reading through the Affidavit of Support to understand about what I will need when it comes time for the interview. I don't have my most recent W-2s. They would've been from 2009, 2010 and 2011 since that was the last time I worked in the U.S. and filed my income. I've been working in Brazil for the last three years. This is beginning to seem like a major roadblock for me. I've been working in Brazil for three years, so my yearly income isn't that great.

Is the I-130 immigrant visa only for rich people who have a job in the U.S. and a house there, too? That is sure what it is starting to seem like.

Is there anybody that can explain to me what is really required to be approved?

Thanks in advance.

Timeline

I-130 Immigration Visa

I'm the sponsor. My wife is Brazilian, and I am a USC. I have been working as an English teacher for the last 3 years. I teach at a local language school, private students in my home, and an online school. On average, I amke about 1,300 dollars per month, but this is hard to determine with the Brazilian currency flctuating constantly

($R 4.500 per month).

I do not reside in the U.S. My wife works her in Brazil and we live together. She is a nurse tech. I do not have employment in the U.S. or a legal residence in the U.S. I have family in the U.S. that will let me use their address and then look for a house to rent after we get there. That's about it. My plan was to go to the CDL school and get a job after I get my CDL.

Will this be acceptable when we go to the consulate here in Brazil for the interview? If not, then why pay the 420 dollars when I won't make it through the interview with my wife?

Edited by TennMike7

Life is about choices.

You can always come back to US, go to CDL school and get a job first.

After that you petition for your wife to join you in US.

Otherwise you could ask if any of your US family members is willingly to be joint-sponsor.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Timeline

Apologies, I did not you were the USC. Next question. This is an I-130 and you are living abroad. Have you met the established residency requirements? You can look them up on the internet. This is similar.

http://lawandborder.com/issues-for-u-s-citizens-expats-in-filing-the-form-i-130-immigrant-petition-for-alien-relative/#Proving_the_US_Citizen_Is_8220Domiciled8221_in_the_US

Timeline

Apologies, I did not you were the USC. Next question. This is an I-130 and you are living abroad. Have you met the established residency requirements? You can look them up on the internet. This is similar.

http://lawandborder.com/issues-for-u-s-citizens-expats-in-filing-the-form-i-130-immigrant-petition-for-alien-relative/#Proving_the_US_Citizen_Is_8220Domiciled8221_in_the_US

Well, this definitely helps.

My plan was to go to visit my relatives in Tennessee in January and get my Tennessee driver's license. It would also be convenient to get a U.S. bank account.

Would those two things alone be sufficient to prove domicile?

With this prove, do I no longer have to show rental contracts or work contracts?

Basically, is it enough to show that I recently got my U.S. driver's license and a bank account when I go to the interview? Or is there something more that I may have to show as evidence?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just went to the same process as you so I think I can give you some advice. First, you need to fill all your past tax returns (right now) if you haven't been doing it in the past years!! Your income will be zero in the tax returns so you won't have to pay any late taxes. Second, you will absolutely need a joint sponsor. Your salary in Brazil will not help because even if you made more than enough, you would still have to prove you would be receiving that money after moving back to the US. At last you would have to worry about domicile. Bank accounts, IRA, voting ballots, and a letter with your intent of moving back, everything counts!!

Edited by fmirandam

Timeline

Thanks for the advice. Since posting this thread I have realized my options are to:

1) not file and live in Brazil and visit for a month each year since Labor laws mandate a month vacation for all workers,

or

2) see if I can get a co-sponsor,

or

3) go do a CDL program and g a job right away after filing the I-130 so that I can prove that my income will support my wife

Only the most recent tax return is necessary, right? Not three like everyone says?

Timeline

I was able to ask a friend to be the co-sponsor. He has his own business and won't have any issues with being the co-sponsor. I think he receives social security starting this year-retired veteran.

Has anyone crafted something like a packet for ex-pats to send back home to co-sponsors so that they know what they need to send, etc?

I thought of just sending his copy of the I-864A with the instructions and highlighting the relevant parts.

Will he have to prove his income/assets with bank statements if he is retired? What documents should I let him know that he will need to send to me for the interview after my I-130 is received?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Also, you may replace any income with assets. If you have about $105.000 in assets (for an USC could be even less if x3 rule applies), best in cash (or stocks, bonds) and in a US bank account, as far as I know, this would solve the affidavit of support issue as well.

Edited by Michael2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.